GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the bike this evening and had time for a quick run through the twisties. Wow! I'm loving this bike already! Can't wait to ride again.

One thing that didn't feel right was the front brake. The lever felt spongy and took more pressure for a quick stop than expected. Not nearly as good as my V-strom 1000 brakes. I'm hoping this is not normal. Thinking I'm going to bleed the brakes, then go over the discs with brake cleaner. Do they get better after some use? As far as I remember, the other two bikes I bought brand new were good right out of the box. I'm not aware they need any special "bedding in", although I've read some about this procedure but never done it on a new car or bike. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fairly normal.

Biggest change will be new pads. EBC HH sintered pads apparently have the biggest difference to initial bite.

Braided lines are next on that list, most are happy to just stop here.

Brake MC is next on that list, but larely unneccessary i think.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The OEM pads are brembo which surprised me when I swapped them for sintered.
The pads get a bit better with use but I would look at changing them ASAP.

·
Registered
719 Posts
spongy reminds me of air in the line.....it all depends on how spongy your talking. I dont know your level of experience but its simply brake pads the brakes shouldn't feel spngy per se, just a week bite. Air in the line will feel like your squishing air before you get that bite.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,606 Posts
As others have said EBC HH will give instant improvement. Originals are wooden at low speeds.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ebc HH are not a bad pad, but if you would like soemthing in the amazing category, try these:

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=782&osCsid=v91isi7mpse5oa6pmgn88av405

You wont buy any more ebc if you try these.
How are these on the rotors as far as wear?

Since they do feel spongy, I suspect air in the system so I'll bleed them first and go from there. Just can't believe sportbike brakes would be the worst of all the bikes in my sig.

Any comments on bleeding ABS brakes? Guess I should look over in maintenance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've just picked up a Zero mile 2016 model and for the first 10 miles the brakes were wooden....then it started raining and remained that way for about 50 miles...mixed traffic and roads with numerous reasons to brake and now they bite nicely...good old rain acted like a cutting fluid as the pads grabbed the rotors/discs...nice even wear marks front and rear and lovely progressive levers....first 10 miles were not confidence inspiring at all...now they work great.
Never been a fan of EBC...very good when new but loose that feel as they wear...prefer Mintex, Ferodo or ideally SBS.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got sbs pads and braided lines on mine , quite better now

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I bled the front brakes today. A few tiny bubbles came out the master cylinder when I worked the lever repeatedly (before bleeding). Lever is maybe a little less spongy, but not by much. With a bit of extra force, can bring the lever all the way to the bar, lever adjusted to the closest position. Didn't do a road test yet, cold and windy today (after record 80-deg temps yesterday). Also bled the brakes on a 2006 Ninja 500, and it now has a really firm, solid lever feel. It does have a braided line, though. I never thought a new Gixxus would be jealous of anything about that bike...

Going to give it some time to wear in and see if things get better, but may have to look into braided lines and new pads. Where are you guys getting braided lines for this bike?

Edit: After doing some reading about changing lines on an ABS bike, that may not be something I want to tackle. New master cylinder looks promising, but expensive. Hopefully it will all get sorted out with time, and perhaps new pads.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another reason I'm surprised, I read many reviews of this bike and comparisons with other bikes before buying. All that I remember had glowing statements about the brakes, such as this from Cycle World:

"On both bikes, I never encountered a lack of cornering clearance, and braking performance was excellent. The Brembo monobloc four-piston front calipers biting on 320mm rotors provided strong, consistent power and very good feel at the lever. While the Bosch ABS cannot be turned off, I didn’t feel a need to do so because the system performed well in a sport riding role."

I'm just not feeling it which leads me to believe something is off, like maybe some air bubbles hiding out somewhere in the abs unit, or trapped in a hose bend.

·
Registered
320 Posts
What exactly is the problem with the brakes, is it just that the initial bite isn't strong enough for your liking? Or is the problem deeper than that? On my bike the initial bite isn't as strong as many other bikes I've ridden, but the brakes are still more than sufficient to stop the bike quick if you squeeze them hard enough.

Supposedly the Vstrom 1000 has a really strong initial bite so you're probably used to that, here's a review where they discuss it: https://youtu.be/9FNTDrvJPiw?t=292

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you tried the old tie-wrap trick (ie. pull in the lever and tie-wrap it in place overnight, making sure to place the reservoir as the high point in the system). Quick, easy, and best of all, it works!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What exactly is the problem with the brakes, is it just that the initial bite isn't strong enough for your liking? Or is the problem deeper than that? On my bike the initial bite isn't as strong as many other bikes I've ridden, but the brakes are still more than sufficient to stop the bike quick if you squeeze them hard enough.

Supposedly the Vstrom 1000 has a really strong initial bite so you're probably used to that, here's a review where they discuss it: https://youtu.be/9FNTDrvJPiw?t=292
They do stop, but sitting still, the lever is very spongy, especially compared to the Gixxer or the V-strom 1000. Feels more like the V-strom 650, which everyone who has ridden the 1000 complains about. So maybe the Strom is unusually grabby. To be honest, I really haven't gotten enough seat time on the Gixxus to make a fair judgement about the bite under various conditions. I need to get out and ride more!

Have you tried the old tie-wrap trick (ie. pull in the lever and tie-wrap it in place overnight, making sure to place the reservoir as the high point in the system). Quick, easy, and best of all, it works!
I'll give this a shot - you don't bleed afterwards? I assume the theory is the fine bubbles will coagulate and rise to the top, then come out in the reservoir.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts