GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Bought a 1200 mile 68-plate FA8 at the start of the month.

Had a Yamaha Niken before it (owned 25 bikes since started riding at 16) - but chopped it in as i'm 5'6" and was in danger of dropping it (amazing bit of kit btw).

Been dropping into the forum from the time I conceived of buying one and have started the process of making it more useable. Had an FZ1 for 6 years (which did a lot of miles) and see many parallels with that bike (although the GSXS' mid range would stomp all over it).

Suspect the previous owner was a PCP/HPer who handed it back (pandemic effect), but suspension was laughably [dangerously] set-up, so sorted that and whacked a boosterplug on it to - temporarily - cure the atrocious surge. Have reflash booked for next week.

I do (until covid) a **** of a lot of euro-touring (70k miles in the last decade on the continent) and want to pick it up with this bike. The bike is running a topbox and a givi quick-release tank bag. Have fitted a phone holder and usb charging. Will fit the following:

Pannier rack (will fab this up, so I can use my trusty givi v35s)
Decat (got a used system on order - dont want to cut up the pipe on the bike - and link pipe)

Already had to be recovered once - stanley knife blade through the rear tyre. Luckily I have a tyre machine, so sorted that easily enough.

Personally I like compromise motorcycles, as they do lots well and will still play when needed. The GSX fulfils this remit well. I also have an old XJ600 on the bench i'm customising and my daily is an NC700X.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,879 Posts
Welcome to the forum, enjoy.

Reactions: pilninggas

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May as well blog my ownership in this thread.

So the boosterplug makes a massive difference, but as you cant do anything with zero fuel (zero x 120% is still zero) the fuel cut still causes fluff - boosterplug cant defeat that.

The ecu will be bench flashed tomorrow by MSG in Buckinghamshire. I dont want to post my ECU so ill take it up there and have it flashed while-i-wait.

Just put the the cut pipe on and removed the like new original pipe (that will be stored for when i trade the bike in). Had to shift the rad to get to all the manifold bolts. Took some time. Cut the new pipe and fitted the decat pipe (i wonder if the old cat is worth anything?). Removed the air box restrictor plate and pulled the ecu.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
452 Posts
You said the gsxs midrange stomps over the fz1.
My pal has an fz1n 2008 , the gsxs definitely doesn't stomp all over it at all.

I too have the booster plug on a 68plate & yeah huge difference

I'm interested in in your thoughts on the motor trike. What category would you throw the niken in? Good for an hours commute to & from work all year round?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You said the gsxs midrange stomps over the fz1.
My pal has an fz1n 2008 , the gsxs definitely doesn't stomp all over it at all.

I too have the booster plug on a 68plate & yeah huge difference

I'm interested in in your thoughts on the motor trike. What category would you throw the niken in? Good for an hours commute to & from work all year round?
Performance wise the FZ1 and GSXS are very similar - midrange torque is much better on the GSXS. The FZ1 being shorter stroke is revvier. The GSXS pulls much more cleanly (fluffy fuelling aside) than the FZ1 from mid-revs. I cant complain about my FZ1 it went everywhere from Norway to Gibraltar without too much fuss.

The Niken isnt really that suited to commuting - it's wide and whilst you can filter it is hard work. The front end stability is unreal. It'll hold off a lot of sportsbikes on twisty stuff. The 850 triple is a peach of an engine too. I wish i was taller, my short ass is a pain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So had the ECU bench-flashed yesterday.MSG Racing were excellent and knowledgeable about Suzukis and know GSXs well. Went home and put it all back together (refitting the fairing is easier than a lot of bikes I have owned). Went for a quick blast and surging gone, bike feeling so much nicer. Thanks to forum users who say reflash - they are right it is the only way.

Anyway have half term off, so am on a micro tour. Left home (Caldicot, monmouthshire) and went via A and B roads to Yorkshire. The bike is utterly rideable now. Goes like stink and doesn't chunter on part closed throttle. Asked for lambda function to be kept, so still getting 55mpg whilst overtaking all and sundry. 180 miles from a tank is decent for 150hp bike.

Very happy now. This thing should tour Europe with ease. Gonna play in Yorkshire tomorrow and stay in somewhere like Newcastle tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i've now done 2,000 miles (the bike is at 3,200) after doing a lap of the north - just crossing in Scotchland and a weekend away with a mate [him on his VFR800] on the Jurassic coast. Bearing in mind my daily is my NC700, so i've only used it to commute twice, it easily racks the miles.

The remap has made so much difference to the bike. Very driveable. Still getting 55-60mpg too - which is pretty stonking and gives creedence to the bikes GT abilities. Just fittted a db killer as idling the noise was a bit antisocial. not too vibey for a 4-cylinder - the long stroke (relatively, it's still oversquare) and balancer shaft make it much more refined than other similar machines. Have one of those comfort seat covers (gel cushion) which ive used on other bikes, makes multi hour stints in the saddle comfortable and pleasant.

Next task is to build up the pannier racks - have tomorrow afternoon off of work, so may get started on fabricating the mounts.

Great bike over all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So the bike is nearly at 4000miles (2900 by me).

The rear pogo stick is/was a joke. I let a mate have a go and he was very positive but like me and most of us on this forum couldnt believe how bad the rear shock is. It's shocking...

So on the weekend my ebay alert said there was a YSS on there for £267 (more than one) so ordered it (have YSS on my NC, had one on my old FZR). Really rate them both the NC and FZR were transformed.

Came today and just fitted it - a nice easy job on the GSXS. Hoping it'll really sort the rear end.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the bike is nearly at 4000miles (2900 by me).

The rear pogo stick is/was a joke. I let a mate have a go and he was very positive but like me and most of us on this forum couldnt believe how bad the rear shock is. It's shocking...

So on the weekend my ebay alert said there was a YSS on there for £267 (more than one) so ordered it (have YSS on my NC, had one on my old FZR). Really rate them both the NC and FZR were transformed.

Came today and just fitted it - a nice easy job on the GSXS. Hoping it'll really sort the rear end.
Took the bike to work today. The YSS shock has transformed the back end. The ripples on the A48 had annoyed me before, but now the rear just runs over them without unsettling at all. Just checked the sag and it is pretty much bang on.

Very happy.

Last mod is a quickshifter. Got a healtech unit coming tomorrow (£215 on the bay with voucher).

Spend so far:

Steel for pannier rack £Free
Reflash £265
Decat £50
Rear shock £267
QS £215

oh and the punctured rear tyre replacement £75.

Getting there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts