GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2018F model. Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say about it. Personally I love it and I've been a rider for over 50yrs on everything from mo-peds to 200+HP turbo/nitro powered animals!!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Seems like you've experienced a lot of different bikes over the years. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on your latest bike. Tell us what you think after you get a few hundred miles under your belt with the Suzuki.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yep, another senior citizen tired of riding in a jockey position! Look forward to hearing why you chose the GSXS and your riding impressions/comments.

So Live2, what mods do you plan to do right away? If you're like me (50 years riding) no way to not tinker!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome, I had an F, but it got written off, So I tried to make my next bike, like the F, a GSXR1000 with flat bars :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the welcomes guys. Glad you all like your bikes, especially the red/black one(that was my first choice). I bought the F, actually the 1000s because it was the bike I was considering back in 15 when it first came out. I read all the articles and tests I could find and it seemed "everyone" liked the FJ09 better. Foolishly I bought the FJ. It was an absolute pile of ****!!!! I sold it just when Aprila updated the Tuono to an 1100 and again all the mags and independants raved about it. I was saving for it when I started reading about a lot of electrical problems popping up on them and suddenly there were literally dozens of them for sale cheap and dealers were giving large discounts on left overs. I decided this time I'm going with my gut and went to my local dealer and purchased an 2018 z model. I went home to get the cash and the wife to take the car home and when we got back to the dealer she said the black one was ugly, personally I loved the sinister look, and that I needed to buy the white one. Happy wife happy life so they say!!!!! Anyway the deal was pretty good, discounted to 8800 with the Suzuki cash back, the one dealer I found that only charged actual shipping costs and no fees. Dealers here in Fla are pretty much thieves. That's my story!!! Don't plan on any mods yet, we'll see. So far it's great. Will check back here often and hope every one is still happy with theirs!!! (probably only wanted the Aprilia because it's red/black anyway!!! HA)

·
Registered
524 Posts
It sounds like you finally got the bike you wanted and for a good price. And you are so right about keeping 'momma' happy - when they speak, it is best to listen. As for the bike, it has power for days, can be lugged down to 2000rpm without a complaint, yet will try to pull your arms off if you decide to let the engine 'sing' into the double digits (well, perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea.) The ABS and traction controls are a 'bonus' on such a fun machine. The riding position is quite nice, too. Biggest complaints seem to be a rear shock with too much high-speed compression dampening (and that isn't adjustable) and the OEM Dunlop 214s not being the grippiest tire tossed on a sporty bike. But...wait...you live in Florida, so no corners there anyway - you're golden ;)
Seriously, the bike's a hoot. Here's hoping you enjoy lots of miles together.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Interesting you should say that OP, my choice too was down to an Aprillia Tuono left over or a 2017 left over GSXS naked. The Tuono is Italian jewelry for sure, but I would be basically paying more for all the electronic aids that I have no need for - traction control, launch control, wheelie control, upright control, acceleration control ... you get my meaning. And as you point out, reliability and service issues would be a factor with the Tuono, where the Suzuki is just good 'ol reliable Jap ingenuity.

Granted, the GSXS needs a few upgrades to correct stock deficiencies, but definitely a great bike with a GSXR 1000 motor and upright seating position. And I got a red/black one! Can't believe you "don't have any plans for mods yet"! C'mon man, at least a slip-on!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the insight on what I can expect from the bike. Yes I live in Fl BUT I spend 6 months in the N Ga mountains and that is where this bike will reside. I have an SV1000s that it will share the garage with there. I purchased the SV when I sold the FJ09 to have something to ride while I looked for the right deal on the 1000F. I like the SV but can't really do more than an hour on it because "old"!!!!
I ordered a Givi touring windscreen that should be here tomorrow. This will be the second one as the first one arrived damaged. Revzilla is a great aftermarket supplier to deal with. They shipped the new one before I even returned the broken one!!!! I'll up date on what I think of it after I put some time behind it!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rap, it's funny that you say that. I did a lot of searching and found that there was a BIG problem with stators on the Tuono and the repair is very expensive. That and the fact that it really is overkill for an old dude like me that rides like I do in my advanced stage of "afraid of killing myself" led me to buy the Suzuki. I know it isn't as advanced electronically as most stuff available today but I remember being completely content of my first "real" motorcycle back in the early sixties, a 250 Royal Enfield. I thinks it's electronic package consisted of, well, nothing! If I remember it didn't even have a battery, just magneto.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Euro bikes are overpriced butt-jewelry. Don't get me wrong - if I was swimming in money and had multiple bikes to ride - I'd be happy to own a Ducati, Aprilia, BMW, KTM, or some such thing. The problem always comes down to cost-to-purchase, reliability (or lack thereof), and cost-for-repairs/parts. That's when the high praise in magazines for these bikes, based on a test ride or two, becomes so much hot air. I knew a guy with an Aprilia Futura (like a Honda VFR...but not) who waited six months for parts to arrive to fix his crapped out electrical system. Ridiculous. And he lived in Iowa, so that meant a completely lost riding season. He sold that bike (at a huge loss) and moved on to a Suzuki GSX-R1000 and hasn't ever looked back. Final drive failures on BMWs? Any guesses on how often those happen and how much it costs to fix? Price a headlight assembly (or a valve adjustment) on a Ducati and it'll make you re-think riding altogether. Unless - again - you are swimming in money. Then LIVE THE DREAM! For the rest of us, a Suzuki GSX-S1000 that needs a new rear shock to make right ($860) seems like a bargain considering the performance on tap and the features that come standard (ABS and traction control.)

I'm not a hater. I've just been riding long enough (32 years), had enough bikes, and known enough people who were willing to share their experiences, that I've formed some opinions about best bang for your buck in the two wheeled world. For me, that means I'm going to buy a Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki (Kawasaki's have proven unlucky and unreliable for me...but that's just me?) And even then, you can get a dud now and then (hello Honda? I'm looking at you and your VFR regulator/rectifier issues!)

As for Live2Race20 - buying the GSX-S1000 for northern Georgia is a whole different story! Nice choice. There are amazing roads up there and the Suzuki is the perfect choice. Way better than the SV-1000, which is a wonderful bike in it's own right. But you'll find the centering of mass on the GSX-S1000 to be so much better and the bike is more nimble and quicker to get out it's own way. In addition to that windscreen you bought, you might seriously consider some better rubber (Michelin Road 5s or Pirelli Rosso Corsa IIIs), and a new rear shock (triple adjustable) from wilbers, elka, penske, or the like. Ride safe, ride fun, and keep us posted how you like the new machine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts