GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from sweden. I just changed my front brake pads and now the wheel just spinns about one turn before stopping. Then I put the old pads back on and the wheel turns alright. I cleaned the pistons with soapy water and a toothbrush and the pistons moves alright. Whats wrong?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Did you top off the brake fluid anytime prior to installing the new pads? If so, there might be too much pressure on the system and you'll need to bleed a little fluid.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It could also be the rubber seal which sits inside the reservoir. If the rubber hasn't retracted to its original shape it can also leave a little pressure in the brake system stopping the pistons from retracting fully.
Take the cap off the reservoir and check the seal, make sure the little air gap is clear and make sure the pistons aren't sticking, even though they have been cleaned.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,965 Posts
It could also be the brake lever if it has been removed and not seated correctly.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I guess my option is to change the lines/hoses?
That is a drastic measure; one shouldn't have to change brake lines when changing brake pads.
  1. Are your rotors warped?
  2. Did you bed the new pads in?
I still recommend bleeding the fluid in the lines. It's a chore because the bleeder valves are on the inside of the calipers, but it's easier and cheaper than replacing the lines.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello from sweden. I just changed my front brake pads and now the wheel just spinns about one turn before stopping. Then I put the old pads back on and the wheel turns alright. I cleaned the pistons with soapy water and a toothbrush and the pistons moves alright. Whats wrong?
I am going against the grain and tell you nothing is wrong. You can not compare new pads to old tired glazed over pads.
You put the old pads back on and that shows that nothing is wrong / bent or missing. If it was me I would run her

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd ride it for a few miles and check again. Also, check your axle tightness. That nut squeezes the wheel and it affects the free spin resistance when it gets too tight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Daft question perhaps: have you pushed the pistons back? if not them the whole lot will be binding.

I definitely wouldnt be considering replacing lines because pads binding. I also wouldnt ride it if the wheels wont spin freely (the discs will get hot and the brakes will stick on).

·
Registered
401 Posts
When you say the wheel spins fine with the old pads in but sticks / binds with the new pads can I assume that when you have changed these pads around you have pushed the pistons back into the caliper each time and the re seated the pads against the discs with a couple of pulls on the brake lever ? Is it possible that the pads are getting jammed / stuck were they seat in the caliper housing, maybe these areas need a clean out of built up brake dust and general crud and it is this preventing the pads from retracting rather than a piston issue. With issues like this I always start at the simple but often overlooked areas before breaking out the big tools and thoughts of replacing lines.

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have cleaned and cleaned the pistons several times but it seems that they are not pulling back enough when I let go of the lever. How do I fix that?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
i got new rotors and pads early in the year disk ran hotter on one side and would feel a little tight rooling back an forth at light, felt like a slight drag after some miles and not thinking about it bike rolls and stops great disk and pads look fine 3000 miles later

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm starting to think its the master cylinder that dosent work properly. When the pistons dont pull back enough. 😔

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Have taken the top off the master cylinder reservoir yet and had a look. Is the fluid level correct? Is the rubber seal correctly seated and not deformed, what about the little breather hole on the top? Is it blocked?
New pads will cause more fluid to back into the reservoir when you install them. Do the simple things first before changing lines. Are the new pads even seating in the callipers properly. If they are too tight it might not even be anything to do with the hydraulics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Pistons don't actively pull back. The brakes only work in one direction. The "pull back" of the piston is simply a lack of pressure, and the pads stop pressing on the rotor. Additionally, I assume the new pads are thicker, so they will likely be near the end range of pushing the piston back.

Here is what I would do. First, remove the pads. Then squeeze the lever (slowly) and push out the pistons. Then clean them with a soft brush and dish soap. Once clean, loosen or remove the reservoir cap and push the pistons as far back as they go. Install new pads, and squeeze the lever a few times to build pressure. Bleed the brakes and master cylinder. That should ensure it's all working properly.

Also, it's not really a big deal if the wheel doesn't spin forever in the air. If the brakes are slightly squeezing, you have a problem. If they generate heat while riding and not applying the brake lever, you have a problem. Hard to describe online, but a slight brake pad rub is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
62 Posts
wrong pads??- pads in backwards?? did you take- off master cylinder cover before the change-? push pistons all the way into calibrator -? i have never had that problem on any motorcycle ever- did you tq axel properly?? let us know i would like to know what it was... THANKS

1 - 20 of 33 Posts