GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
wrong pads??- pads in backwards?? did you take- off master cylinder cover before the change-? push pistons all the way into calibrator -? i have never had that problem on any motorcycle ever- did you tq axel properly?? let us know i would like to know what it was... THANKS
Its the correct pads.
The pads are installed properly.
I did take the cover off and pushed the pistons in. The wheel spinns fine when the calipers are off.
I may not be a mechanic but I do most of the maintenance myself and I'm not an idiot.:D

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It sound like it's either 1 or 2 things then.

1. Pads. Either too fat or not seating correctly in the calliper. I've had to take a small metal file and make pads fit properly before where the metal back wasn't properly finished off at the factory.
If they are too fat that would be easy to see. When the pistons are fully pushed back and the pads installed there must be space between the pad and disc. (not a likely scenario)

2. Dirt has got between the calliper and the piston seal. This is quite easy to check. Take the pads out and press the brake lever. Your pistons should move in towards the disc but they will also move back about 0.5-1.0mm.
If any of them don't then the seal has dirt around it stopping it from flexing.
You may have to put a piece of wood or something ( I use a large socket head) and check two pistons at a time. If any of them only move one way or stick then its most likey the seal holding the piston needs to be stripped out, the calliper re cleaned and the seal replaced. At the same time you can give the pistons a proper polish

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is it necessary, to bed them in I mean. I went for a 15 mile ride and the discs got hot.
Okay, it wasn't clear to me if you went for a ride and used the brakes. How did the brakes feel while riding? Anything unusual? If not, you're probably good to go. Check the wheel spin in a few hundred kilometers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Okay, it wasn't clear to me if you went for a ride and used the brakes. How did the brakes feel while riding? Anything unusual? If not, you're probably good to go. Check the wheel spin in a few hundred kilometers.
The breaks feel great but im worried they run hot. I do some trackdays and dont want any brakefail due to overheated brakes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The breaks feel great but im worried they run hot. I do some trackdays and dont want any brakefail due to overheated brakes.
I've done a few trackdays with EBC Double-H pads and stock rotors. You are good to go in my opinion. Just don't go splashing through puddles with red hot rotors.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Possibly a lost in translation thing, so apologies if we're being nitpicky. You have to address the basics first before going down the rabbit hole. Is there constant brake pressure being applied, or is everything just tight? Of course the old pads are thinner, so the front wheel will not behave the same as when the new pads are installed. This alone is not an issue. There is no free spin spec from the factory, and it's expected that brake pads slightly rub the rotor.

On the 15 minute ride, were you using the front brakes a lot? If yes, then it's normal they got hot. I'd recommend riding around and only using the back brake. If the front brakes are hot, then there is a pressure/fitment issue to be worked out. Easy troubleshooting - properly bleed the brake system, clean the pistons (extend them out and get everything moving well), and really ensure the pads are sitting correctly in the caliper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Possibly a lost in translation thing, so apologies if we're being nitpicky. You have to address the basics first before going down the rabbit hole. Is there constant brake pressure being applied, or is everything just tight? Of course the old pads are thinner, so the front wheel will not behave the same as when the new pads are installed. This alone is not an issue. There is no free spin spec from the factory, and it's expected that brake pads slightly rub the rotor.

On the 15 minute ride, were you using the front brakes a lot? If yes, then it's normal they got hot. I'd recommend riding around and only using the back brake. If the front brakes are hot, then there is a pressure/fitment issue to be worked out. Easy troubleshooting - properly bleed the brake system, clean the pistons (extend them out and get everything moving well), and really ensure the pads are sitting correctly in the caliper.
There is no constant brake pressure because I took off the brake lever and the pads were still pushing the rotor. I guess i have to take out the pistons and give them a proper cleaning. I noticed one piston is a little harder to move with my hands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could you double check the pads part numbers. Hayabusa uses the same pads but a tad ticker than the gsxs, you could have bought the wrong ones, off course now that one of the pistons is harder than the other check on those as well

·
Registered
706 Posts
I guess i have to take out the pistons and give them a proper cleaning.
And install new seals. My understanding, assuming the master cylinder is working and releasing pressure, the piston seals deform when the pistons extend and press the pads against the rotor. This extending deforms the seals a little. When the pressure is released, the seal deformation pulls the pistons back in to the caliper bore as the seal goes back to its normal, undeformed state.

You say your rotors are getting hot. yes, they will. Under normal use the rotors will get hot. The question is, how hot is acceptable? I personally do not know. IR temperature guns are not very expensive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is something simple (ill say pad thickness or slightly mis-sized pads as directed by others). Ive had 25 year old bikes that didnt need lines or master cylinders or seals replacing. On a newish bike, unless it's been crashed, spannered by an idiot or parked in canal these are not solutions to the problem you are experiencing.

It's something simple. For goodness sake dont go down a rabbit hole that costs you a fortune or creates more problems.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts