GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new pair of Alpinestars Faster 3 Rideknit shoes.
I had an earlier pair of Faster 2s that I loved for the comfort and reasonable tradeoff for protection.
These are a little beefier (CE rated), but still really comfortable.
Here they are...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I’m sure they’re well made, but I’d never wear shortie boots/shoes on a bike. Wouldn’t feel happy riding without longer boots. I learnt years ago when I went down wearing dress shoes, that toes are fragile, and they easily come off, especially when your footwear comes off. I don’t care how well they’re made, they won’t protect your foot from coming out of the boot, as well as a full boot.

Frankly, what’s the point? Save your money, go to Marks Work Warehouse and buy a construction boot for half the price. Will give you just as much protection!🧐

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sure they’re well made, but I’d never wear shortie boots/shoes on a bike. Wouldn’t feel happy riding without longer boots. I learnt years ago when I went down wearing dress shoes, that toes are fragile, and they easily come off, especially when your footwear comes off. I don’t care how well they’re made, they won’t protect your foot from coming out of the boot, as well as a full boot.

Frankly, what’s the point? Save your money, go to Marks Work Warehouse and buy a construction boot for half the price. Will give you just as much protection!🧐
Well, first... I don't buy leather boots, and second, I've never found a pair of steel toed boots that weren't uncomfortable, a toe plate t big to feel my shifting at all. Also, I do have several pairs of full MC boots that I wear often on long rides, but these actually afford about as much protection and are CE rated. (I'm sorry you had bad luck with your dancing shoes. ...but lighten up). ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
First of all mike, congrats on the new boots! I almost picked up a pair myself from Fortnine, but chose to go with the old reliable Alpinestars SXM-1 R shorties. They're a little more technical than the Faster 3 model, but I can certainly see why some would find the Faster more comfortable.

I’m sure they’re well made, but I’d never wear shortie boots/shoes on a bike. Wouldn’t feel happy riding without longer boots.
Gixus, while I agree with your comments, I've also learned that there are moments where a compromise is needed. I will usually ride in my tall touring boots, but if I'm going to meet up nearby with some buddies for a coffee or dinner (pre-pandemic) I don't want to sit in tall boots for 2 1/2 hours. That gets uncomfortable. It has taken me 10 years and many uncomfortable gathering to realize that there's a place for short boots.

·
Administrator
498 Posts
In addition to my Alpinestar SMX plus tall boots, my Cowboy leather boots (I know, I know); I use a set of Forma shorties. Good boots - yes; great boots - no.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Those will never come off on a fall if they're done up properly. Everyone has a trade-off between safety, comfort, and probability of injury - each persons line will be at a different point.

Otherwise, you might as well ride dressed up like the Michelin guy with pillows all around you. That's the extreme end of the line. The other is no gear at all. Find your happy spot in between.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree... It's a tradeoff. I don't wear sneakers on my bike, and I always wear a full face helmet. 99% of the time I wear an armored jacket (I've taken a couple trips to the grocery store < 1 mile away without a jacket). And when I'm not doing a long ride, I wear short MC boots.
Let's face it... The fact that we are riding Motorcycles at all adds way more risk to our lives than the kind of MC boots we are wearing. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I never liked the feel of full length boots. Could be that I just never spent enough time in them. I currently own two pairs of short boots and a pair of riding shoes. The shoes being the most comfortable and still CE rated. They definitely won’t come off either as I have to unstrap them and loosen the laces quit a bit to pull them off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a pair just like those and learned the hard way that they won't do a thing to protect your ankles in a crash. I lowsided at about 30mph and absolutely shattered my right ankle while wearing them. Hospitals bill out at around 10k to bolt a metal plate to your ankle and wrap you up in a cast, and follow up X-Rays and PT can run a few more thousand fyi. Not to mention you'll be out of commission for 6-8 weeks. Needless to say I always wear full length motorcycle boots when I ride now. Sorry if I'm being a Debbie Downer, just trying to save anyone reading this from some potential agony.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Good to have first hand experience but to be clear, I consider "short" boots as being ones that at least cover your ankles. Personally, I wouldn't ride with anything shorter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good to have first hand experience but to be clear, I consider "short" boots as being ones that at least cover your ankles. Personally, I wouldn't ride with anything shorter.
What he said. Even my Alpine Stars “riding shoes” completely cover the ankle and are armored, not as heavily as my boots but still fairly solid.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a pair just like those and learned the hard way that they won't do a thing to protect your ankles in a crash. I lowsided at about 30mph and absolutely shattered my right ankle while wearing them. Hospitals bill out at around 10k to bolt a metal plate to your ankle and wrap you up in a cast, and follow up X-Rays and PT can run a few more thousand fyi. Not to mention you'll be out of commission for 6-8 weeks. Needless to say I always wear full length motorcycle boots when I ride now. Sorry if I'm being a Debbie Downer, just trying to save anyone reading this from some potential agony.
I'm sorry to hear about you accident. If your shoes are just like the ones I bought, I'm even sadder, but truth be told, even full length boots can have far less ankle protection than the Alpinestars I purchased. I'd love to see the boots you currently wear. I'm sure they are a quality riding boot, with tons of protection. I'm also a MC accident survivor from my younger days. Basil skull fracture. Inner ear damage forced me to relearn walking / balance. I always wear a quality full face helmet now. We all live and learn. Thanks for sharing your story.

·
Registered
703 Posts
With any boot you need good ankle support.
But in the end each crash is different just as long as your wearing motorcycle specified boots.
Anyhow congrats on the new boots 👍🏼

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, first... I don't buy leather boots, and second, I've never found a pair of steel toed boots that weren't uncomfortable, a toe plate t big to feel my shifting at all. Also, I do have several pairs of full MC boots that I wear often on long rides, but these actually afford about as much protection and are CE rated. (I'm sorry you had bad luck with your dancing shoes. ...but lighten up). ;)
I did lighten up Mike, by about half a lb. 😜. Feet don’t look good when your boot/ shoe comes off and the bike mashes you into the tarmac.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did lighten up Mike, by about half a lb. 😜. Feet don’t look good when your boot/ shoe comes off and the bike mashes you into the tarmac.
I'm gonna lace 'em up nice and tight. (y)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Many years ago I had an off at less than 10kmh wearing short boots, resulting in compound fracture of the tibia and fibia ,radiologists said it was one of the worst they'd even seen. 20mm shorter leg and long healing process. Over 20 years and it still aches, I'll never ride a bike without full length quality boots. I've also had sticks hit my boots so hard that it really hurt but no real damage, I think it would have been a different outcome with short boots. Saw a guy riding a mountain bike get a stick right through his lower leg.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Many years ago I had an off at less than 10kmh wearing short boots, resulting in compound fracture of the tibia and fibia ,radiologists said it was one of the worst they'd even seen. 20mm shorter leg and long healing process. Over 20 years and it still aches, I'll never ride a bike without full length quality boots. I've also had sticks hit my boots so hard that it really hurt but no real damage, I think it would have been a different outcome with short boots. Saw a guy riding a mountain bike get a stick right through his lower leg.
From the net. “Each foot is made up of 26 bones, 30 joints and more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments, all of which work together to provide support, balance and mobility.”

You and I learned the hard way how fragile the foot is, and that’s not including the ankle which is just as complicated. If one person learns anything from what we’ve said, then this thread was worth it.👍🏼

1 - 20 of 37 Posts