GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,879 Posts
You should be glad. I'm a fanatical bike rider (used to be racer), and my legs are still shaved silky smooth. :)
Guess you will be watching Le Tour de France then, more crashes in the early stages than a Moto 3 race. :)

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes. Crazy crashes. And talk about safety apparel. Skidding across the tarmac at 50 kmh whist wearing nothing but lycra skivvies and a little foam hat. Did you see Caleb Ewan and Peter Sagan yesterday? Yikes!

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,879 Posts
Yes. Crazy crashes. And talk about safety apparel. Skidding across the tarmac at 50 kmh whist wearing nothing but lycra skivvies and a little foam hat. Did you see Caleb Ewan and Peter Sagan yesterday? Yikes!
Not yet football got in the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about you accident. If your shoes are just like the ones I bought, I'm even sadder, but truth be told, even full length boots can have far less ankle protection than the Alpinestars I purchased. I'd love to see the boots you currently wear. I'm sure they are a quality riding boot, with tons of protection. I'm also a MC accident survivor from my younger days. Basil skull fracture. Inner ear damage forced me to relearn walking / balance. I always wear a quality full face helmet now. We all live and learn. Thanks for sharing your story.
Here's a pic of the 3 boots in my current rotation, as well as the Alpinestars riding shoes I was wearing at the time of my crash if you're interested. I've "crash tested" the white TCX's and the Oneal's on a few occasions as well with much better results (and at much higher speeds in the case of the TCX's). I will say that the riding shoes are good bit more comfortable off the bike than the others, and I got a few incident free years out of them. Definitely with you on the quality full face helmets, I've smashed in 2 Scorpion EXO-R2000's and an HJC RPHA 11 and only received a mild concussion or two. Were I wearing lesser helmets the results would without a doubt have been much worse.

Anyways, sorry if I derailed your thread. Keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Anyways, sorry if I derailed your thread. Keep the rubber side down!
Hey don't worry about the thread! Heck, you've added nicely to the conversation. That's why I like these forums. It's all a good exchange of opinions and ideas, and I appreciate the honest feedback. Those look like good boots. I don't think I'll quit wearing the riding shoes for my quick hops, and I do have full boots for longer rides. more like your touring pair. Both Dainese, one Gore-Tex and the other more breathable for summer. ...but like I said before (or inferred)... we could all avoid MC accidents completely, if we quit riding (not quite ready for that yet). ;)

·
Registered
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000FA
80 Posts
I just picked these up a couple months ago. Still haven't broken them in yet. They are stiff but have a **** of a lot of ankle support and bracing as well in the ankles. Only thing I don't have is riding pants, I don't like the mostly tight fitting options. Anyways, boots are dope and have fun breaking them in.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Those look nice! I have one thing that bugs me about some boots and non-riding boots (or shoes with steel toes), and that's the toe height, protection, and shift feel. Those look good on that front. ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, first... I don't buy leather boots, and second, I've never found a pair of steel toed boots that weren't uncomfortable, a toe plate t big to feel my shifting at all. Also, I do have several pairs of full MC boots that I wear often on long rides, but these actually afford about as much protection and are CE rated. (I'm sorry you had bad luck with your dancing shoes. ...but lighten up). ;)
Hello mike, it's been along time. This site is very different now. Am not able to post a pic of the dash, am at 114, + K miles. No valve checks! it starts right up every time in any weather.
Told my self a few ago, lets see what people are saying now about my favorite street bike of all time (for me it is), and saw a post on valve check concerns so i posted a reply there. Then i saw your shoes, and all i can say to each it's own, a couple of years back there was a dude on a gs1200 bmw with shower flip flops on doing about 80 mph on the 101 freeway, i just pointed at them as i went by and gave him the thumbs up (they are his feet, his choice), i still laugh at that (what a nut).
Personally i use the SIDI ADV 2 Gore-Tex, because i can walk around the construction sites without problems.
and do feel a bit safer with them. The shoes you have are also nice and if you like them and feel good, am happy for you.

When i figure out why am not able to post a photo of the bike and dash, will post with a 114K + review.
Bike runs like new!

Happy trails!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice to see you back mcm! That's a lot of miles you've been putting on. Thanks for your input and hope to see you around more. ;) 👍

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice to see you back mcm! That's a lot of miles you've been putting on. Thanks for your input and hope to see you around more. ;) 👍
Thank you Mike, appreciate your kindness. Am just used to dirt/off road boots from all the weekend riding, feel weird not using them at all times. I wouldn't use the straight dirt/motocross/off road boots on sport bikes (that would be unconfutable) , but these ADV boots are pretty comfy and have regular soles (not stiff).
If i wasn't riding other bikes and then the covid stuff here in L. A. County would probably be at about 170k or so.
The frequent oil & filter changes are a must, prefer to go by the type of riding and as soon as the oil is medium brown i change it (Suzuki's 10-40 standard). Do not trust the supposable it's ok with the new oils to go longer (even if it's dark), because to me dirty oil is dirty oil (on dirt bikes and the DR sure feel the clutch slipping when dirty).
Glad to know you are doing well.(y)
Happy trails!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just picked up a new pair of Alpinestars Faster 3 Rideknit shoes.
I had an earlier pair of Faster 2s that I loved for the comfort and reasonable tradeoff for protection.
These are a little beefier (CE rated), but still really comfortable.
Here they are... View attachment 45916
Mike, they look beautiful, congratulations on your new boots. However, I was told no to wear shoes with laces because they are an accident waiting to happening.
These laces can get untied and may get into the bike's chain or any other bike's part leaving you with your foot stuck and unable to put your foot down.

These are safer and even have a way to tuck your pants so the pants don't get stuck on the bike.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@john2019 I agree that laces are an accident waiting to happen. If you notice on those shoes, there's a velcro strap at the top, specifically to keep the laces tucked under, and prevent anything from sticking out or hanging down. It works very well and the laces are secured nicely every time I put them on. ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
@john2019 I agree that laces are an accident waiting to happen. If you notice on those shoes, there's a velcro strap at the top, specifically to keep the laces tucked under, and prevent anything from sticking out or hanging down. It works very well and the laces are secured nicely every time I put them on. ;)
All right man. Good for you. (y)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts