GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Found the pics, and you are correct Sir! You need new rubber BAD. My tires handled like crap and had way less wear. I put on the Mich R5s (same size as stock) and the handling was so nimble it freaked me out.

Go for it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
:laugh:
I just looked up your pics and I can see you like getting your money's worth:laugh:
That rear should have been changed ages ago;)

Michelin M5s will give you more mileage and good grip but the rosso's will give you more confidence when you're pushing it. Two good tyres if you ask me. I also liked the Metzler M7's.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Go the Rosso 3s....
Jeff how many miles are you getting out of the rear Rosso 3s?

I've had the bike 11 months and this will be the 4th rear tire and I am running -1 +2......1-Pilot R4 (came with the bike, not much left when I got it...good tire, plenty of grip... no complaints)......2-Connti road attack 3 2000 miles (lots of wheels spin on low gear power digs...hated this tire)....3- Bridgestone S21 4000 miles (good tire, plenty of grip...no complaints just wanting a little more miles)

From what I've read it looks like 4k on the rear is about the most you're going to get if you ride her like she should be rode.:D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey Razor I've only just got a new set of Rosso 3s so I can't comment on longevity yet but I usually scrub out the front tyre on the edges before the rear. Its really weird doesn't matter what tyre or bike.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don’t really worry about how long a tyre lasts I’m more worried about good edge grip.
One of the best tyres I used was back in 08 Bridgestone BT 016 on a gixxer 1000 did one track day and they still lasted 12,000ks.
Not sure these days but the BT016 is probably classed as a crap tyre now but back then I was impressed.
Razor just wondering what pressure your running?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think I'll go with the Bridgestone BT 016R again,good grippy tyre, bike handles well and I get them for $390 Aus fitted

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the guys at HPN Port Macquarie are really good, ride in,ride out, they also fitted a new chain and sprockets while they were at it for $20

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don’t really worry about how long a tyre lasts I’m more worried about good edge grip.
One of the best tyres I used was back in 08 Bridgestone BT 016 on a gixxer 1000 did one track day and they still lasted 12,000ks.
Not sure these days but the BT016 is probably classed as a crap tyre now but back then I was impressed.
Razor just wondering what pressure your running?
I'm running 32F 34R cold.....back when I only got 2K out of the Conti's I jumped on here to see what guys where running and me and Frog had some good back and forth about tire pressure ect….by the way I haven't seen Frog on here in a while. Hope all is good with him. He suggested I was under psi and I should increase the tire pressure and should get better mileage out of the rear tire because it's getting to much heat in it. Other guys also suggested this as well. Anything above the 32 and 34 (cold) really feels rock hard and I just don't feel confident in my grip higher than that. So I installed a on board TPM to see exactly what psi and temps I was getting once the tire warmed up. I can start at 32F and 34R on a nice day around 78 degrees and within a 5-8 miles the tires are 36F and 38R (warmer days they get even higher)...this feels really good and grippy to me...I never knew the tires would gain 4-5 psi when warm until I got the TPM...very good for knowing the psi at a glance and never ever have to even worry about it. I know the recommended 38 and 41 (cold) is what the manufacturer says to run...so once they warm up your at 42 and 45...I've tried these higher psi's and even on a hot day they feel like the tires have concrete in them.

I also put the R1 rear shock on...so I'm not try to compensate for a crappy stiff stock shock by going soft on tire pressure.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah the guys at HPN Port Macquarie are really good, ride in,ride out, they also fitted a new chain and sprockets while they were at it for $20
What! $20 for new chain and sprockets? Is that a type o?
So I’m assuming that you supplied the stuff and the 20 was for install. Another great deal.
So do you do the Oxley hwy very often?
I used to love riding that road..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts