GSXS 1000 Forum banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yep! thats almost the identical patter I got when I ordered my Hyperpro. Then, a couple of days later, I had a call from the factory to confirm all the information they had was correct.
Excellent service. :D and worth every penny
I just installed a second hand Hyperpro, havent had chance to set it up yet. What settings did it come with form the factory? Pre load spring seems very low/wound down on the thread and rebound was at 25 clicks out. Any ball park figures to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just installed a second hand Hyperpro, havent had chance to set it up yet. What settings did it come with form the factory? Pre load spring seems very low/wound down on the thread and rebound was at 25 clicks out. Any ball park figures to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks
You need to set the preload to your weight , the knurled knob I would set at half way ....count the number of clickes ...if there is 50 start at 25 and start from there , hyperpro is a progressive spring so you should be looking for 40mm static rider sag

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

I’ll look it up when I get home I’m working away at the moment and should be back at the end of the week.
From memory 25 rebound sound right. I think compression for both high and low was 15. It was half way on all the clicks, so if there is 30 clicks, it’s 15 etc.
I can’t remember the sag off the top of my head but I do remember they only recommend moving the high speed compression +\- 5 clicks from the low speed settings.
I hope that helps for starters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks guys, I've got the base model so rebound only and will set the sag when I have someone to help ( all my biker mates live 20 miles or more away) Had the stock set just about right but still wasnt happy

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Thanks guys, I've got the base model so rebound only and will set the sag when I have someone to help ( all my biker mates live 20 miles or more away) Had the stock set just about right but still wasn't happy
I've just had a quick look at the manual. They are recommending sag 10mm +/- 2mm on the shock and 20 clicks out on the rebound as your base setting.
They don't have a recommendation for the sag when you are sat on it, this is an unlaidend setting which makes it a lot easier if you are doing it on your own. Just lean the bike over on the side stand and lean it over until the wheel just starts to lift of the ground. Stick a bit of electrical tape on the fairing above the rear axle and then measure between the axle and your bit of tape

·
Registered
100 Posts
Braaperino, you are good! Yes, the Wilbers has HIGH and LOW speed COMPRESSION adjustability which is why I chose it over the K-Tech. I'm very sensitive to the high-speed compression setting and didn't want to risk getting yet another shock that was too harsh in that regard. But the K-Tech 'using' folks on here have found that the Razor's high-speed setting is perfect out-of-the-box, so knowing that, I would not be held back from getting one. It does have a 'compression' adjustment, but doesn't separate them out like Wilber's does.

A lot of people don't know the difference in the two compression settings so having one more knob/screw to play with is a 'bad' thing for them. They just want it to 'work' out of the box with less to screw up. The K-Tech is good for that since they seem to have gotten the high-speed compression setting correct. Others like the ability to control 'everything', and the Wilbers is probably better for them. The Razor comes with length adjustment capability and the Wilbers does not (but it can be ordered that way for a bit extra.) So both are 'four-way' adjustable, but differ ever so slightly on what those four adjustments are.

The "remote adjuster" on the K-Tech has the mount accessible whereas the Wilber mount requires removing the seat to get to it AND it takes up the space I used to keep my tire plug 'strings' and tools...but as time goes on, I'm warming up to it. Really, you only need to access those adjustment screws early on. Once the shock is dialed in, it's probably better they are 'out-of-sight-out-of-mind'. Po-TAY-to / Pa-TAH-to. I think for equal money, the shocks are of equal value and use. Minor differences, and you were wise to 'parse' out what those differences were for those that are really getting serious and trying to figure out which would be best for THEIR use.
where did you get the bracket to hold the damping and comp adjuster under rear seat . cheers .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Braaperino, you are good! Yes, the Wilbers has HIGH and LOW speed COMPRESSION adjustability which is why I chose it over the K-Tech. I'm very sensitive to the high-speed compression setting and didn't want to risk getting yet another shock that was too harsh in that regard. But the K-Tech 'using' folks on here have found that the Razor's high-speed setting is perfect out-of-the-box, so knowing that, I would not be held back from getting one. It does have a 'compression' adjustment, but doesn't separate them out like Wilber's does.

A lot of people don't know the difference in the two compression settings so having one more knob/screw to play with is a 'bad' thing for them. They just want it to 'work' out of the box with less to screw up. The K-Tech is good for that since they seem to have gotten the high-speed compression setting correct. Others like the ability to control 'everything', and the Wilbers is probably better for them. The Razor comes with length adjustment capability and the Wilbers does not (but it can be ordered that way for a bit extra.) So both are 'four-way' adjustable, but differ ever so slightly on what those four adjustments are.

The "remote adjuster" on the K-Tech has the mount accessible whereas the Wilber mount requires removing the seat to get to it AND it takes up the space I used to keep my tire plug 'strings' and tools...but as time goes on, I'm warming up to it. Really, you only need to access those adjustment screws early on. Once the shock is dialed in, it's probably better they are 'out-of-sight-out-of-mind'. Po-TAY-to / Pa-TAH-to. I think for equal money, the shocks are of equal value and use. Minor differences, and you were wise to 'parse' out what those differences were for those that are really getting serious and trying to figure out which would be best for THEIR use.
where did you get the bracket to hold the damping and comp adjuster under rear seat .I want to fit my shock the same way but don't come with anything to hold it . cheers .

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
where did you get the bracket to hold the damping and comp adjuster under rear seat .I want to fit my shock the same way but don't come with anything to hold it . cheers .
Hey DylanFZ, the Wilber's shock comes with the under-seat mounting bracket. The K-Tech units have a bracket that mounts off the passenger peg. Apparently the Maxton you have doesn't come with any kind of mount? That's frustrating. You could get some rubber tubing to wrap around your unit and zip tie it in place under your seat. Doesn't have to 'look pretty' as you will be the only one to see it and the important thing is for it to stay in place and not get tossed around and damaged.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey DylanFZ, the Wilber's shock comes with the under-seat mounting bracket. The K-Tech units have a bracket that mounts off the passenger peg. Apparently the Maxton you have doesn't come with any kind of mount? That's frustrating. You could get some rubber tubing to wrap around your unit and zip tie it in place under your seat. Doesn't have to 'look pretty' as you will be the only one to see it and the important thing is for it to stay in place and not get tossed around and damaged.
. Yes it is frustrating and I was thinking of calling them to ask how I'm supposed to fix it ..but yea you're idea of rubber tubing could be a winner for me .. cheers pal .

·
Registered
7 Posts

I am about to get the k-tech shock. I see all the ktech reservoir pictures that don't have the pillion footrest when the reservoir is mounted. Can you install the footrest back with reservoir?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-G9750 發送

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I am about to get the k-tech shock. I see all the ktech reservoir pictures that don't have the pillion footrest when the reservoir is mounted. Can you install the footrest back with reservoir?

The pillion footrest works just fine with the remote reservoir attached. That's the way I have mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The pillion footrest works just fine with the remote reservoir attached. That's the way I have mine.
Great to know that. Do you have a picture of the reservoir and the pillion footrest?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks guys, just found out YSS shocks are available at around £280, considerably less than the Nitron (£438), but probably still great compared to stock and more than enough for me...I'll be going that route once I get sick of bouncing around on the back roads...
Kaivalagi, did you put the YSS?

161 - 178 of 178 Posts