GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Makes a difference having a decent rear shock doesn't it :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
1000% better!

For me the front forks even felt a lot better at stock settings. I'm a light weight rider but still. It was that piece of junk stock rear shock upsetting the entire chassis all along.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Bit the bullet and fitted a new Wilburs shock. Makes me go much faster than I should;)
Which model from Wilbur's did you with? 540, 640, 641?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Wilburs or a K-tech. Still not sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which model from wilbur's did you with? 540, 640, 641?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a wilburs or a k-tech. Still not sure.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just down a 3000km round trip on the bike with the adaptor and a used Yamaha R1 shock on the bike, it was brilliant - we had a mixture of good fast roads with some great bends, rough pot holed roads, motorways and dirt roads and it performed flawlessly, bot 2 up and solo.

I'm sorely tempted to leave the R1 on and sell my Ohlins TTX GP shock

It was more comfortable than stock, nice plush ride as well as adding confidence and control at speed

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can Wilburs owners describe improvements over stock shock, please?
I guess everyone would be interested in improvements on various roads,
but I am most interested in improvements on crap roads? Or is the GSXS1000
a bike only for fairly smooth roads regardless of shock/fork? Would also be interested
in whether fork modifications were welcome/needed after shock swap or whether stock
fork was sufficient. Anything and everything.
Of course, these questions also go for owners of other aftermarket
shock swappers, but maybe start a different thread for those?
Thank you all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a Wilbers shock, more adjustments are a help, better damping compression and rebound. A big improvement but it doesn't make for a plush ride, still harsh on crap roads

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
a bike only for fairly smooth roads regardless of shock/fork? Would also be interested
in whether fork modifications were welcome/needed after shock swap or whether stock
Thank you all.
Don't get sucked into thinking a new shock from an aftermarket company will give you a magic carpet ride.
It may or maybe just the same as stock but you will never know unless you try.

That's the rub here, speculation and not being able to try it out before spending 10% of the bike's value for little OR a great deal of improvement.
There's a big difference in what people weigh, whether they regularly carry a pillion or have luggage, roads they ride on, riding style and so on. Nothing is the same, we are all different.
Tyre's themselves have a remarkable effect on comfort, the difference between brands and types within the brand can be surprisingly good over a worn stock.

After 40 years of riding rubbishy poorly maintained roads and trying to find a 'one cure all fix', I am afraid to say suspension cures for rough roads are very difficult to find.
A bike has 2 contact points with the road surface, cars have 4 and can and do spread the load over 3 wheels, that's why a road surface seem OK to those who have to decide where spend the Budget.

For me, the stock suspension at both ends IS good enough for my sh*tty patchwork of coarse chip, potholed, crumbling surfaced " boulevards " we are fortunately blessed with (pl add extra sarcasm).
If you want good handling road manners for crap roads, look at what a V Strom 1000 has been fitted with, it works a treat. You need longer correctly damped travel.

Rob.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On awful road surfaces there is no magic carpet option and anything that soft wouldn't handle like a precision sports motorcycle.

The Wilbers 641 or similar is a must for the gsx-s unless you restrict your riding to air strips.

It permits retaining the sharp and precise handling that the chassis and mechanical grip has to offer whilst smoothing harshness in road surfaces. I can hit a bump mid turn and hold a line without effort where previously I had some bumhole tightening moments.

Holding a steady throttle is also improved on rough surfaces.

I love the idea of semi active suspension from Ohlins found on bikes like the new tuono but then you're paying literally twice the retail of the suzuki (in Australia anyway).

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Good post Cain.
I remember reading a couple of years back where for cars, probably the expensive ones that lead the way, that they were trying to develop a radar/camera approach for adaptive suspension that would scan the road sufficiently ahead.
Given enough time, the proactive adaptive suspension could adjust itself in preparation for what was coming, rather reacting after the event.
I guess the Mars Rover has been gifted this technology to test for us, so we still a few Zillion miles away yet for bikes.

Rob.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thank you all.
I have the Wilbers 641. I was skeptical being that I never upgraded my suspension before but I got sick of the OEM shock pounding my spine or trying to kick me off the seat. While I wouldn't say it will turn all crap roads into a pile of baby ducks, it's definitely a considerable improvement over the majority of crap roads I've been on and the difference was noticeable straight away... at least, enough that I don't stress about riding on rough roads anymore.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hard to quantify / discern whether my Wilbers 641, or Michelin Road 5's (190/55) or the Corbin seat made the greatest difference in my bike's feel over the road. All I know is the bike I bought in 2018 and the bike I have now might as well be 2 different bikes. New Hampshire & Maine roads range from great to terrible; with pot holes, gravel on pavement, wash outs, bumps, cracks, frost heaves, etc., making riding an interesting experience. I just know I feel better and safer now as the bike seems more planted, handles better and responds quicker than pre-upgrades. Most importantly, my butt, back & neck appreciates the improvement. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had the Wilbers 641 installed with the reservoir and its adjustment capabilities under the passenger seat. It is a lovely piece of German engineering, which was supplied from Germany according to my weight,70 kgs. The improvement was dramatic, however because the roads in Australia off the highways are so bumpy, instead of fiddling with the reservoir settings, my mechanic took one full turn off the preload, and reduced the compression damping on the base of the shock 2 clicks; the ride is now plush, and the handling superb. It is worth every cent, and unless you are mechanically competent, have a knowledgeable motorcycle mechanic fit it for you. I have now joined the legion of GSXS1000 owners looking for a buyer for the OEM shock, otherwise referred to as a pogo stick.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Question for the folks that have upgraded the rear shock. Did you play with the stock shock first to see if it could be made better?

I don't find the suspension as bad as everyone says but I also don't know what I may be missing ... may do what @countryleaves suggests when riding season is back on my stock shock ("took one full turn off the preload, and reduced the compression damping on the base of the shock 2 clicks").

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have no issue with the stock suspension either. Took a little bit of playing to get the sag close enough on both ends but once I have gotten it in the ball park, it has been fine. Damping rates are close enough, not running wide or pogo-ing. Works on the Australian rubbish roads.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Question for the folks that have upgraded the rear shock. Did you play with the stock shock first to see if it could be made better?

I don't find the suspension as bad as everyone says but I also don't know what I may be missing ... may do what @countryleaves suggests when riding season is back on my stock shock ("took one full turn off the preload, and reduced the compression damping on the base of the shock 2 clicks").
I played an awful lot trying to get a good feel out of the standard shock. It wasn't good enough for me.
A lot of it will depend on your type of roads and your riding style.
I found the shock to be very limited as soon as I started to pick up the pace even to the point the rear wheel wouldn't keep good contact with the road.
That said, I also had a trip over to spain and on their big smooth mountain passes it felt pretty good.
The advantage of a better shock is it will give you a better safety margin over a wider variety of conditions because the valving is more tunable. It also comes with a spring which is matched to either your weight or specifications.
The standard suzuki shock is just a budget shock which is capable under most circumstances but doesn't excel at anything.
I have greater comfort at slow speed and greater safety at high speed and now I don't have to be too particular about the road surface as it can react to a big bumps and little bumps and still keep me in the seat.
I love it but if you feel you don't need it or it wouldn't benefit you don't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts