GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my gsxs1000f I actually wasn’t planning on keeping it for more than a year or two, however, after solving the throttle issue(mine was bad) and 4 years of watching what else was out there, I’ve decided I’m going to keep it till the end.
So, since I’m not spending money on another bike, I’m having the front and rear suspension done up with K Tech product. The suspension has always been harsh in the back with absolutely no feel in the front. I’ve never redone suspension on a bike before, so, I’m really curious what the difference will be. I’m hoping it’s worth the money. I do 4 or 5 track days a year and commute on this bike. Very excited to get it back with the added hottness!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You’ll love it!
The extra stability you’ll gain and comfort will have you kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. Good move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Best investment you can make in this particular motorcycle (new suspension.) Great move!
Bike is already comfortable. Has plenty of power. It just needs better 'legs' for the twisty and bumpy bits. Can't wait to hear your report once it is installed and you get a chance to wring it out a bit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peter from Computrack said it would be ready this week, but, with the virus etc., I expect it won't be until the week after. Just took a ride on my '03 gsxr600, I'm hoping with the new suspension the gsxs has the "riding on rail" feeling around corners the gsxr has. The gsxs corners well I just don't feel the connection to the road..

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Harsh in the back
An understatement. The rear was brutalizing me until I swapped it.
Good move, I love my K-Tech R and I'm looking forward to your review of the full suspension.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Surprised that the F has 4 different part numbers, where the Y 'Naked' has only had 2 ? The Naked's original was 4K00 in 2016, changing to 4K10 in 2018.
There is one F shock (4K20) made specifically for the Spanish Market in Europe, and has the colour Gray in it's description.

The F has been part number 4K00 as in the original GSX-S1000 descriptor, then morphed as 10, 20 and the latest is the series 4K30.
What has changed over time is unknown, but could be spring tension, damping or a combination of both.

Remember, Suzuki is always listening in to this Forum and probably 'shocked' that F Buyers were never much that happy with their comfort lever shock as fitted.

Rob.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey Rob,
That's interesting that there are several different part numbers for the rear shocks on these bikes. Maybe that explains why some people (me!) find the OEM shock completely unsatisfactory for sportbike riding (I have a 2016 model) and others, while not loving it, don't seem to be getting the same kidney pounding experience. Perhaps they have newer bikes with different shocks and different dampening rates or spring rates? That sure would explain a lot.

The thing is, none of the OEM shocks is GOOD. Some are just less stiff/harsh than others (maybe...) That's where a Wilbers or K-Tech comes in!

·
Registered
179 Posts
When I hit a bump I always lift my rear because it hits very hard. Is there any way to make that shock a little softer or I have to replace the shock and which one would be very soft? Thanks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
When I hit a bump I always lift my rear because it hits very hard. Is there any way to make that shock a little softer or I have to replace the shock and which one would be very soft? Thanks.
Replace it. Go to the search function and type in rear shock. You will be rewarded with hours of reading and valuable information that will all lead you back to purchasing a better shock.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Replace it. Go to the search function and type in rear shock. You will be rewarded with hours of reading and valuable information that will all lead you back to purchasing a better shock.
Thanks. I have been reading a lot already, I guess I have to replace it. I even checked prices already and I see is not cheap.
I get back pain when I ride this bike. My Honda CB500 is much soft.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you can't afford replacement, as rightly recommended by Cainus83 the best you can do is back off the spring pre-load as much as possible without having the bike 'bottom out' on bumps.

The REAL problem is the stock shock has no adjustment for the COMPRESSION and the 'high-speed' compression is way too stiff as it comes from Suzuki. All you can do is replace the shock to get real relief.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you can't afford replacement, as rightly recommended by Cainus83 the best you can do is back off the spring pre-load as much as possible without having the bike 'bottom out' on bumps.
Definitely that shock absorber has to be replaced. Thank you for your suggestion, I'll try your advice but some people here have said that it does not do nothing, just a waste of time. It does not matter to me, I have lots of time now any ways, I can try it. :D

The other thing that I was thinking is removing some air from the tires so it will have some kind of absorption when hitting a bump or a hole in the road.

The REAL problem is the stock shock has no adjustment for the COMPRESSION and the 'high-speed' compression is way too stiff as it comes from Suzuki. All you can do is replace the shock to get real relief.
Yes, I have learned about replacing other things too, like:

1-) Get better forks (AK-20 Axxion $1,210)
2-) Better seat (Corbin seat $600)
3-) Better tires (Michelin $250)
4-) Danos ECU Flash ($200)
5-) Penske Shock absorber ($1,000)

Well, that's about $4,000 to re do what is left of the bike after removing all those stock parts.
Is it worth it? you tell me. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Definitely that shock absorber has to be replaced. Thank you for your suggestion, I'll try your advice but some people here have said that it does not do nothing, just a waste of time. It does not matter to me, I have lots of time now any ways, I can try it. :D

The other thing that I was thinking is removing some air from the tires so it will have some kind of absorption when hitting a bump or a hole in the road.

Yes, I have learned about replacing other things too, like:

1-) Get better forks (AK-20 Axxion $1,210)
2-) Better seat (Corbin seat $600)
3-) Better tires (Michelin $250)
4-) Danos ECU Flash ($200)
5-) Penske Shock absorber ($1,000)

Well, that's about $4,000 to re do what is left of the bike after removing all those stock parts.
Is it worth it? you tell me. Thanks for your comments.
IMO, it’s not worth it. 30% of the msrp on mods is crazy. You’ll never get that money back on resale. You’re better off purchasing a bike that doesn’t have as many shortcomings.
I’ve decided to keep my bike pretty much stock and accept its shortcomings, until I can swing a faster bike with better suspension. I’ve adjusted the suspension as good as I can and I live with it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMO, it’s not worth it. 30% of the msrp on mods is crazy. You’ll never get that money back on resale. You’re better off purchasing a bike that doesn’t have as many shortcomings.
I’ve decided to keep my bike pretty much stock and accept its shortcomings, until I can swing a faster bike with better suspension. I’ve adjusted the suspension as good as I can and I live with it.
I really appreciate your comment though, I may look into another bike like you say. It is what it is. There is no way to get a better 1,000cc bike for $10K. Yes, there is a Honda CB1000R, Yamaha R1, Ducati 1290, etc. that are much better bikes but those are in the $15K to $20K price range that I cannot afford now.

I may try the Honda CB650R or the Yamaha MT 07 in the same price range of the GSXS1000.
What other bikes do you have in your mind that would not have the GSXS1000 shortcomings? Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really appreciate your comment though, I may look into another bike like you say. It is what it is. There is no way to get a better 1,000cc bike for $10K. Yes, there is a Honda CB1000R, Yamaha R1, Ducati 1290, etc. that are much better bikes but those are in the $15K to $20K price range that I cannot afford now.

I may try the Honda CB650R or the Yamaha MT 07 in the same price range of the GSXS1000.
What other bikes do you have in your mind that would not have the GSXS1000 shortcomings? Thanks.
Manufacturers all use cheaper components on their cheaper bikes, that's how they keep the price down. You won't get a better bike than the GSXS1OOO, just get a better shock and ride it, sure you could go all out and spend vast amounts of money but then you will be better off buying a more expensive bike already kitted out with good components

·
Registered
412 Posts
If your planing on keeping the bike do the suspension.
I've done the ktech front springs revalve and rear shock makes a big difference.
For me the stock suspention never felt right.
I've owned and have ridden a lot of bikes and yes there are better more exotic bikes out there but to me I've learned there not really worth the extra money plus they end up being less reliable I suppose those bikes are just wank machines not real world every day bikes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts