GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do the math and the gsxs is great value even after mods.
In Australia I purchased brand new for 15,500.
I've spent 5000 on mods so let's call it 20,500.
Look at the competition.
Speed triple RS $25,500
Tuono factory $30,000
BMW s1000r $29,000

I have equally good suspension, similar performance, upgraded solo and dual seat options, decat, tune and expensive import Yoshi exhaust, tail tidy, custom indicators.. the list goes on.

With those other bikes you're still up for tall tidy, exhaust, possibly a seat.

I can totally justify the money I've spent on the Suzuki. And all the while it's 10 times more reliable than any of the others I mentioned. I never intended to get my money back on resale but I still got the most bike for my money by far.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
When I hit a bump I always lift my rear because it hits very hard. Is there any way to make that shock a little softer or I have to replace the shock and which one would be very soft? Thanks.
Hi John,
Have you tried reducing the rebound setting of the shock absorber ? These low rent shocks of are of the nitrogen/oil emulsion construction. Basic as they come.
Hence the screw adjuster does have an effect on compression, but more on rebound. Give it a good turn out so you can feel the difference then adjust it back to stock and compare.

Rob.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I bought my gsxs1000f I actually wasn’t planning on keeping it for more than a year or two, however, after solving the throttle issue(mine was bad) and 4 years of watching what else was out there, I’ve decided I’m going to keep it till the end.
So, since I’m not spending money on another bike, I’m having the front and rear suspension done up with K Tech product. The suspension has always been harsh in the back with absolutely no feel in the front. I’ve never redone suspension on a bike before, so, I’m really curious what the difference will be. I’m hoping it’s worth the money. I do 4 or 5 track days a year and commute on this bike. Very excited to get it back with the added hottness!
I know just where you're coming from, I wasn't sure I was going to keep this machine but it checked too many boxes in the positive side of things. I paid $9k for my bike since it was a leftover, I always do my suspension thru Traxxion and this time I decided to do the front as well (AK-20). I got the Penske 8975 for the rear, I didn't want the extra cannister hanging off the bike with the 8993 like I have on my FJ-09 but it works just as good. It does make a big difference and it is worth it. It;s great to have a bike that has comfort, power and holds the road while hitting bumps..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Manufacturers all use cheaper components on their cheaper bikes, that's how they keep the price down. You won't get a better bike than the GSXS1OOO, just get a better shock and ride it, sure you could go all out and spend vast amounts of money but then you will be better off buying a more expensive bike already kitted out with good components
OldBobagain,
Thanks for your comment and your suggestion. I agree with you, I couldn't find a better 1000cc bike for under $10K. Reliability is the most important factor for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If your planing on keeping the bike do the suspension.
I've done the ktech front springs revalve and rear shock makes a big difference.
For me the stock suspention never felt right.
I've owned and have ridden a lot of bikes and yes there are better more exotic bikes out there but to me I've learned there not really worth the extra money plus they end up being less reliable I suppose those bikes are just wank machines not real world every day bikes.
My Name is Jeff,
Thanks for your suggestion, definitely I'm keeping the bike for long time and I'll buy the rear shock eventually.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi John,
Have you tried reducing the rebound setting of the shock absorber ? These low rent shocks of are of the nitrogen/oil emulsion construction. Basic as they come.
Hence the screw adjuster does have an effect on compression, but more on rebound. Give it a good turn out so you can feel the difference then adjust it back to stock and compare.

Rob.
Slower and Slower,
Thanks for your suggestion, you got me thinking and this morning I turned the spring nut all the way up to release tension on the spring and boy, for my sweet surprise the bike got soft! No more bouncing when hitting a bump, as a matter in fact I rode the bike on purpose on the bumps and holes and the bike absorbs very well those hits.

After this experiment, I removed some air from both tires and got even better. The tires had too much air. I don't weight a ton. I'm a small guy 5'5" 140 lbs 29" inseam. I noticed that now is a little taller but I don't mind at all. I almost got the softness of the Honda CB500 ride. I'm so happy! :D
This great discovery deserves a couple of beers! (y):p

I did not even have to put it back to stock to compared the adjustment since the difference was night and day in my ash. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know just where you're coming from, I wasn't sure I was going to keep this machine but it checked too many boxes in the positive side of things. I paid $9k for my bike since it was a leftover,
You got a really great price. You were very lucky, you stole that bike!(y)
I got it for $10.2K
You got the after market rear shock and still came under the price that I paid for my bike. I hate you:D

I always do my suspension thru Traxxion and this time I decided to do the front as well (AK-20). I got the Penske 8975 for the rear, I didn't want the extra cannister hanging off the bike with the 8993 like I have on my FJ-09 but it works just as good. It does make a big difference and it is worth it. It;s great to have a bike that has comfort, power and holds the road while hitting bumps..
Yes, now I have my eyes on the Penske 8975.
It got better after I turned the spring nut all the way up. Now absorbs, before it would just bounce like a basket ball, also the tires had too much air and removing some extra air helped a little bit.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
@john2019
I'll try your advice but some people here have said that it does not do nothing, just a waste of time.
What? I've never seen anyone who has actually replaced the rear suspension with any aftermarket alternative post that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do the math and the gsxs is great value even after mods.
In Australia I purchased brand new for 15,500.
I've spent 5000 on mods so let's call it 20,500.
Look at the competition.
Speed triple RS $25,500
Tuono factory $30,000
BMW s1000r $29,000
I am not ready to pay $15K for a bike much less $30K no matter how great the bike is.

I have equally good suspension, similar performance, upgraded solo and dual seat options, decat, tune and expensive import Yoshi exhaust, tail tidy, custom indicators.. the list goes on.
Viewing it from that perspective, yes, you got a good deal. I had in mind to spending $8K to $10K on 700cc or 1000cc bike for Fwy use only.
I was going to get the Yamaha MT 07 but went for the GSXS 1000 because it was almost the same money.

With those other bikes you're still up for tall tidy, exhaust, possibly a seat.
For $30K I'd expect the manufacturer to allow me to choose my own components like a PC computer.

I can totally justify the money I've spent on the Suzuki. And all the while it's 10 times more reliable than any of the others I mentioned. I never intended to get my money back on resale but I still got the most bike for my money by far.
Good for you. (y)

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Viewing it from that perspective, yes, you got a good deal. I had in mind to spending $8K to $10K on 700cc or 1000cc bike for Fwy use only.
I was going to get the Yamaha MT 07 but went for the GSXS 1000 because it was almost the same money.
Hi John,
I think you missed that Cain is speaking in Australian $. $Au15000 = $10500 US @ 70c Au to the US $.
The GSXS1000 and the Yamaha MT 07 are very different bikes indeed. Did you suffer from the USA problem of zero demo bikes to test ride ? If so, your buying very blind and no wonder you are not happy.

The MT is a soft marshmallow compared with a harder edged Naked Racebike.
Your experience is like our OLd Mate Ditch from the US who was disappointed the GSX-S was not a bigger version of his 10 year old Honda CB900 Hornet. He sold his as it was too hard nosed in suspension and the high power scared him.

Rob.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You got a really great price. You were very lucky, you stole that bike!(y)
I got it for $10.2K
You got the after market rear shock and still came under the price that I paid for my bike. I hate you:D

Yes, now I have my eyes on the Penske 8975.
It got better after I turned the spring nut all the way up. Now absorbs, before it would just bounce like a basket ball, also the tires had too much air and removing some extra air helped a little bit.
The best part was it really only cost me $6k in cash out of my account , the rest I took a interest free loan if I paid it off the rest in 12 months. With my 3 pensions it didn't hurt me at all :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi John,
I think you missed that Cain is speaking in Australian $. $Au15000 = $10500 US @ 70c Au to the US $.
You are right! my bad. In this case makes even more sense. If your budget is $15K then, you are getting a $25K to $30K bike for about $15k.

The GSXS1000 and the Yamaha MT 07 are very different bikes indeed. Did you suffer from the USA problem of zero demo bikes to test ride ? If so, your buying very blind and no wonder you are not happy.
Here in the USA is very hard to test ride a bike unless you are committed to buy it first. I rode a used GSXS1000 2016 that the dealer had in their show room, I never rode mine before purchasing it.

I'm happy with my bike, I just have to learn the bike and learn to live with it. I come from a Grom 125cc to a CB500 to the GSXS1000.

The MT is a soft marshmallow compared with a harder edged Naked Racebike.
I have never rode the MT 07 but for Fwy and street mixed use with lots of traffic here en Los Angeles I guess it would be more suitable for me. For me a bike is just a tool for different ridding purposes.

Your experience is like our OLd Mate Ditch from the US who was disappointed the GSX-S was not a bigger version of his 10 year old Honda CB900 Hornet. He sold his as it was too hard nosed in suspension and the high power scared him.

Rob.
I'm not scared or disappointed, the GSXS1000 is a great bike for the money. I love it on the fwy. I can hit 120 MPH in no time. I just hit 1,000 on the odometer, I'm hitting 7K rmp now:)

·
Registered
411 Posts
You are right! my bad. In this case makes even more sense. If your budget is $15K then, you are getting a $25K to $30K bike for about $15k.

Here in the USA is very hard to test ride a bike unless you are committed to buy it first. I rode a used GSXS1000 2016 that the dealer had in their show room, I never rode mine before purchasing it.

I'm happy with my bike, I just have to learn the bike and learn to live with it. I come from a Grom 125cc to a CB500 to the GSXS1000.

I have never rode the MT 07 but for Fwy and street mixed use with lots of traffic here en Los Angeles I guess it would be more suitable for me. For me a bike is just a tool for different ridding purposes.

I'm not scared or disappointed, the GSXS1000 is a great bike for the money. I love it on the fwy. I can hit 120 MPH in no time. I just hit 1,000 on the odometer, I'm hitting 7K rmp now:)
Do you still have your Grom?
I've got z125 with 143 big bore kit it's a lot of fun..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do you still have your Grom?
I've got z125 with 143 big bore kit it's a lot of fun..
Yes, I do. This little bike fits anywhere where the adult bikes don't fit. I use it all the time to go get a couple of tomatoes and onions to the nearest market about 3 miles away. When the traffic is bumper to bumper this little bike is the king. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got the bike bike back yesterday and am happy I spent the money. Rode it home from Computrack Boston and immediately it felt like a more expensive bike. Road feel was there, it’s interesting how I feel the road more, but, the bumps are much less brutal. It seems like an over used term in these types of forums, but, "confidence inspiring" does apply here. I never thought that it had a problem holding a line, but, it is better. Went out for a second ride today and it really feels like a different bike. Really looking forward to trying at the track next month.
This is definitely the best mod I've made to the bike. I like it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 2018 FA. I had the TPS reset and the Katana throttle tube fitted first, got rid of the horrible stock Dunlops for some Roadtec01s as I’m not the type for something like Bridgestone S22s..
All were improvements for sensible money but in the end I've gone with the multiple posts on here and what I read on reviews about the rear shock. I've fitted the basic Nitron without a reservoir - it’s made a real difference to the feel without it costing $1000...

·
Registered
145 Posts
adjusting the rebound & preload makes huge differences but it also depends on the front setup. adjust the front 1st then the rear , Check Out Dave Moss Tuning he's a wizard of suspension.
front 1st
rear 2nd

Ive adapted but then I'm 72kg which is the weight japanese bikes are designed for (not 100kg) I also amreceiving an aftermarket shock witin the next 2 weeks

As for other bikes , forget 600s unless you like to work for your speed & even then it doesnt compare.

I passed my test on an MT07 (Loved it) but compared to the 1000cc machines Ive ridden (GSXS1k , YammyFZ1n & ZX10RR) they dont compare , ive also been on a Tracer 900 & owned a z900 stick with the 1litres.

As for the Tuono , Italian Bikes are beautiful & Wonderful Failiures. They are notoriously unreliable same as ducati even the cars are faulty from factory.

• Suspension Upgrade
  • Fork spring Upgrade
  • Semi / full decat
  • lithium battery
  • heated grips
  • Sprint Air Filter
  • Puig HT Bar end Mirrors
  • MRA Sports Touring Screen
These are my recommendations I've done alot more than this & want to do alot more within the coming months

For the road the Gixxis is Awesome

21 - 40 of 43 Posts