GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone should share their how did they **** this up stories here.

I just got new rubber put on this morning and when picked up the bike they scratched the holy **** out of my rims.

I brought it up when it happened and theyre viking to give me a call Monday to make an appointment to bring it in to see if they can touch it up or not. Im tempted to demand a replacement regardless but I'm trying to be as reasonable as possible.

Reminder to everyone whenever you have work done you should visually inspect whatever they touched.

Theres some pictures of the worst of it but theres more of it than I'm uploading.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Paint on the wheels is very thin, worst point on the bike.:(

Oh I was forgetting the crap design of the TPS sensor which defies all attempts to set it where you want.:D

·
Registered
719 Posts
F... that! No reason any damage should occur during a regular service. Ive always been polite but clear that my rims are powdered coated, in excellent condition and will be a PIA to repair if damaged. This usually results in the shop lead or manager doing the job. I've never had a problem. I actually specifically ask if they can change a rim without scratching. I've had people tell me they cant promise anything...I move on. Some places are mechanics and some specialize more in customization...they tend to have more experience in protecting the bike when working on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So now they have to take the tires off and on again? Think they can do it without messing something else up?
Thats a frightening thought isnt it... I would imagine they're going to be more careful this time. The place came highly recommended, I know a few people who had their tires changed and other things done with no issue. Probably going to invest in some tools to change tires myself in the future.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Watch the video. I’m ordering soon I think. Looks like a really good option, and won’t waste precious floor space like a nomar system would, for about 1/2 the price. I’ve been threatening to buy a nomar for over a year, but couldn’t bring myself to because of the amount of room needed for it. https://tirxmoto.com/

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Watch the video. I’m ordering soon I think. Looks like a really good option, and won’t waste precious floor space like a nomar system would, for about 1/2 the price. I’ve been threatening to buy a nomar for over a year, but couldn’t bring myself to because of the amount of room needed for it. https://tirxmoto.com/
The words "No metal to metal contact" at about 6:10 in the video. The shop I went to could learn a thing or two.

·
Registered
890 Posts
SE Alabama and you don't own a pickup truck? The NoMar hitch option is very nice. I've seen it in action, and ordered one for my NoMar but haven't had a chance to use it yet, though I suspect my tires on both bikes will **** the bed right at the height of summer so I'll sweat more. On the plus side, I can leave the tires in the sun and they'll be soft as butter when I put them on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Unacceptable work! I have a no mar changer at my house. All my ADV friends including me have tube type rims. We don’t scratch anything. Sportbike is the easiest there is to change a tire. My GSX has had many tire changes on my machine no scratches. Shops now days are just ill equipped imo and don’t really care and hand the job over to the lowest paid guy to do. But they still charge a mint to do half ass work. I don’t charge my friends anything. They know I have expenses like weights and mounting lube and pitch in when they hear me bitch about supplies dwindling lol but I didn’t bitch they’d use me to the end. People just love getting free stuff.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I change my own tires and usually put on a few scratches (though I'm getting better with each tire change) but a shop should use a tire changing machine and have the expertise to not scratch them. I would not go to that shop any more.

Get some touch up paint, one of those pen shaped things with a brush inside, it's $10.

·
Registered
543 Posts
SE Alabama and you don't own a pickup truck? The NoMar hitch option is very nice. I've seen it in action, and ordered one for my NoMar but haven't had a chance to use it yet, though I suspect my tires on both bikes will **** the bed right at the height of summer so I'll sweat more. On the plus side, I can leave the tires in the sun and they'll be soft as butter when I put them on.
I have the no mar hitch adapter. Currently using that in my new house since I have not built a dedicated shop yet since the move in a year ago. Before that it was mounting in my shop at old house. Before that I used the hitch mount years before that shop was built in old house. It works just as good as mounted to the floor does. I do cover the tailgate of my truck with a blanket to hopefully prevent a slip into it or a flying tire spoon into it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nice, can't wait to use mine. I've had rent houses in the past so my tire changers were mounted to a huge piece of plywood. PIA, but it did the job. I saw the hitch mount in use once and realized that was the way to go. After picking up a second hand No-Mar I contacted them and ordered one, then picked it up from them at the motorcycle show and was able to avoid the hefty shipping cost. Still haven't used it but looking at the back of the FJR and the GSX-S I will be soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts