GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just ordered me some new tires gone for some Bridgestone T30s ran the older T23s on my last bike and loved them cant wait to see what these ones are like

·
Registered
288 Posts
I haven't heard anything good about the T30's, I know a couple of people who took them off after a short time.
I'll be interested to see if your experience is different.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've been running sport smarts for a few years now on my fireblade and Tuono v4. Done track days as well as road riding and have nothing bad to report.

Reactions: lumberjack

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would like to hear how you find the T30's, love the BT023's but was thinking of giving the T30's a go when it's time to change.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just put on metzeler m7rr in 190/55 on the rear, and it feels so much better. I love these tires the best of all fast street tires I've ever tried. Gotten decent life from them too. But whatever you get go for a 55 profile and you'll be happy if you take twisty roads at all.

·
Registered
285 Posts
tyres aint tyres
we all ride on different road surfaces in different climates using different styles. I was surprised that people didn't like the original fitment dunlop . Me i loved it great mileage for track use with fabulous grip, just a matter of dropping the pressure to 24 PSI and stuck like s..t to a blanket. replaced at 3300k's would have got more out of them if my track had a few left hand'ers. 1 left and 6 rights mean the RHS is bald when the the left and centre are still looking good.Most tyres out there are pretty bloody good , but it's just a matter of choosing one for your own needs, hey everyone how long is a piece of string ? Enjoy the ride.........

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,964 Posts
I've mentioned this elsewhere but to repeat :- using a 55 profile could (depending on the circumstances) invalidate your insurance. I know from experience that the Insurance assessors do check when examining the bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't mind them to much in the wet I lost confidence on the front end a lot more that I would normally also I do a lot of miles 30 miles each way to work and the OEM ones lasted me 3 months

·
Registered
355 Posts
Putting PR3's on in two weeks time 55 profile unless get convinced to go with the 4's
Had several sets of PR3's on my Street Triple before going to PR4's. Unfortunately, it seems like PR3's in NZ are older stock and are being replaced by PR4's, presumably so they don't need to import both.

From personal experience, there is no difference in either grip or life (~15000 km on the Triple) between the 3 and 4 rear, despite Michelin's claims of 20% greater life for the 4 (the standard tyre, not the GT or Adventure versions). I think that the front PR4 feels slightly better planted than the 3, but not by a big margin. It's only a personal theory but the 4 has a wider sipe spacing and this might provide a bit more stability under heavy braking or fast directional changes.

Whichever you choose, they are both excellent tyres but as a previous poster remarked, it very much depends on the conditions you use your bike in. As an IAM Observer, I have to ride in all conditions so a predominantly dry/warm weather tyre is a bit limiting.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Those who went to the 55, now that you've got some more miles/klicks on them, would you choose again?

I'm starting to look into new tires, not quite needed yet (just passed 2000 miles), but I'm getting the commuters' flat and it's killing my canyon feel. Been looking at some of the dual compound options available, and am seriously leaning toward the Metzeler 01; which are about $70 cheaper for the 55 than the 50.

Also considering the Michelin PR4 and Pirelli Angel GT, they all seem to be about the same price range, features, and all review quite highly. The 01 seems to be a favorite of most reviews I've seen, and if I go with the 50, it also becomes the cheapest.

-Jaren

·
Registered
355 Posts
Those who went to the 55, now that you've got some more miles/klicks on them, would you choose again?

-Jaren
Hi Jaren,

I've got about 6000 km on my 55 profile PR4's and they're in great shape. Will probably deliver 10000 km before replacement. More importantly, the turn-in is much quicker than the D214's because of the sharper profile. You can see the difference in profiles in one of the photos in this post: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Tyre time and other stuff!. I only chose the PR4 because of past experience on my previous bike and because I have to ride in all weathers. Having said that, they stood up just fine on a hot, dry trackday in February. If I could choose drier conditions, I'd probably go for something sportier like a 55 profile M7RR.

Cheers,

Geoff

·
Registered
288 Posts
Jaren, I'm running a 55. I've put about 3500 kms and one track day on it.
Can't say that I've noticed much difference between the two. I certainly wouldn't claim turn in as being ' much quicker ' than the 50, the difference is minimal imho.
I may well choose on price next time.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Jaren, I'm running a 55. I've put about 3500 kms and one track day on it.
Can't say that I've noticed much difference between the two. I certainly wouldn't claim turn in as being ' much quicker ' than the 50, the difference is minimal imho.
I may well choose on price next time.
What brand/type are you running Matt? Have you compared profiles? Just curious to build up some knowledge.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What brand/type are you running Matt? Have you compared profiles? Just curious to build up some knowledge.
I've gone from Bridgestone s20 50's to s21 55's.
The s21's are supposed to have a wider crown than the s20's so I guess this could be the reason they don't feel much different tipping in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts