GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's playoff time in the NFL ,I know a lot of guys are not into sports. I get it from my dad, he had a philosophy about keeping his sons out of trouble. Growing up in NYC I guess he needed a plan, we played in everything,football baseball and basketball dad coached them all. He always seem to have a crew of kids with him, anyway... What's everybody thinking ? Who is going to the superbowl? Me I'm sick of New England , I would like to see KC from the AFC, NFC has a lot of good teams hard to predict .

·
Registered
154 Posts
I live in Boston and a die hard Pats fan but I think they are one and done this post season.....unless the other teams find a way to blow the games. The team is not very good this year. Gronk is old, no Gordon, but we still have Tom and Bill and you can never count them out. I think when we go to KC we will have a tough time even though we beat them earlier in the season. Being from NY I can't help but get a shot in. Is the strategy of the G men and the Jets to come in last so they can get high draft picks. hasn't seemed to work for them recently. There's always next year???Maybe.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If defense truly wins championships, then the Chicago Bears are the team everyone is overlooking in the NFC. But the New Orleans Saints are the most well-rounded team in that conference, so they seem very promising, too. I'm going with the SAINTS on the NFC side.

In the AFC, it would be foolish to bet against the New England Patriots as they always seem to find a way to get to the big game. Going with the 'defense wins championships' theme again, that makes the Baltimore Ravens the biggest threat on the AFC side. The Kansas City Chiefs are fun to watch and Patrick Mahomes is an amazing quarterback, but they've been 'exposed' and are beatable due to a weak defense, so I don't think they make it to the big show. I'm going to say PATRIOTS on the AFC side.

So Saints vs. Patriots in the Superbowl and the Saints win it all.

My emotional pick would be the Seattle Seahawks. I love that team. The defense isn't strong enough for a deep run into the playoffs and their offensive line is beat-up, so they will struggle there, too. But...you just never know when a team will 'catch fire' and emotion will have them playing beyond their abilities on paper - GO HAWKS!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Manchester City play Liverpool tonight

proper football
Just a stupid American question, but we refer to your "proper football" as soccer. I'm not saying that's right or wrong or defending which one is the real "football" (of coarse yours is), but just curious as to what you Brits refer to US football as (other than something derogatory)? :|

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just a stupid American question, but we refer to your "proper football" as soccer. I'm not saying that's right or wrong or defending which one is the real "football" (of coarse yours is), but just curious as to what you Brits refer to US football as (other than something derogatory)? :|
I think it gets called "mercan footbarl" ;)
No, seriously, I seem to remember when I was a kid and Fred Flintstone was just born, in the UK both soccer and football were used. The term soccer seems to be rarely used these days, but that's just my view, I am not a football fan.
There is a regular Sat night TV spot called the NFL Show and the game is played here.:(
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjpz9vf8NPfAhUQTN8KHauxA6oQFjAKegQIHRAB&url=https://www.britishamericanfootball.org/&usg=AOvVaw1z9Fy4Ao5vZdVIr4Lq2Czj

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Football (soccer) had its origins in about approximately 2-300 BC

Rugby came from football and started in 1845

American Football came from Rugby by a guy at Yale in the 1880s

and its known as most commonly American Football or sometimes NFL

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quatro...Big Man City fan also. Been to 3 Man City and Man U matches. The first one was at the old pitch on Maine Rd. Folks here have no idea of the intensity of those darby matches. I played soccer/football all my adult life. In fact, in the Boston area has the biggest men's league in the world. 269 teams from over 30 to over 64. Well organized and we play 10 sundays in the spring and 10 in the fall. I'm 72 now but played until I was 70. I live in Metrowest Massachusetts. Maybe LEAVEITSTOCK and I could connect some day when the weather warms up. I have a Triumph Sprint ST and I'm an active member of the local BIA an anybody is welcome to join our rides.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If defense truly wins championships, then the Chicago Bears are the team everyone is overlooking in the NFC. But the New Orleans Saints are the most well-rounded team in that conference, so they seem very promising, too. I'm going with the SAINTS on the NFC side.

In the AFC, it would be foolish to bet against the New England Patriots as they always seem to find a way to get to the big game. Going with the 'defense wins championships' theme again, that makes the Baltimore Ravens the biggest threat on the AFC side. The Kansas City Chiefs are fun to watch and Patrick Mahomes is an amazing quarterback, but they've been 'exposed' and are beatable due to a weak defense, so I don't think they make it to the big show. I'm going to say PATRIOTS on the AFC side.

So Saints vs. Patriots in the Superbowl and the Saints win it all.

My emotional pick would be the Seattle Seahawks. I love that team. The defense isn't strong enough for a deep run into the playoffs and their offensive line is beat-up, so they will struggle there, too. But...you just never know when a team will 'catch fire' and emotion will have them playing beyond their abilities on paper - GO HAWKS!
I would agree with you on the Patriots IF they were playing in New England,KC plays alot better at home. But then again Mahomes is new to the playoffs. I think the Saints are favorites but the LA Rams are a great team too, I think there is going to be some great games this year.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Boston and a die hard Pats fan but I think they are one and done this post season.....unless the other teams find a way to blow the games. The team is not very good this year. Gronk is old, no Gordon, but we still have Tom and Bill and you can never count them out. I think when we go to KC we will have a tough time even though we beat them earlier in the season. Being from NY I can't help but get a shot in. Is the strategy of the G men and the Jets to come in last so they can get high draft picks. hasn't seemed to work for them recently. There's always next year???Maybe.
The Giants need a qback who can move around since their offensive line sucks. The problem is there isn't anything out there better than Manning. I do like that rookie Barkley, great running back. Jets need a new coach with a new system , it's going to take time for them

·
Registered
220 Posts
think it was American Football but NFL is being heavily promoted here now so this name is taking over, my Nephew goes to NFL matches at Wembley, a passionate footy fan (but sad cos he supports Arsenal), tells me the NFL games are good value as you can see two for £50, good that is compared to overpriced football.

·
Registered
220 Posts
intensity of those darby matches.
most matches are pretty tribal, I understand NFL folks mingle for beers in the car parks and are not segregated in the grounds, not with football, massive policing, segregation and no alcohol allowed in the grounds, an intense experience but sadly there are fights and some fatalities

BTW the blue team beat the red team 2-1 yesterday, a good match and tight at the top

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46751804

·
Registered
79 Posts
I understand NFL folks mingle for beers in the car parks and are not segregated in the grounds
Same with rugby, a proper game of champions the war is on not off the pitch....

Sevens rugby is great to watch (7 mins a half, 7 a side on a full size pitch). Being married to a Fijian it is the family sport to enjoy. The world series has weekend tournaments where you can see lots of teams compete on a single ticket...a great weekend away if you have one happening near you.

The USA has got into good form these days too....they're starting to upset the big boys now...if you've never seen it you may want to give it a go.....

....are there any non-US teams in the NFL? Canadian maybe? Just wondering...

·
Registered
530 Posts
<SNIPPED STUFF>
....are there any non-US teams in the NFL? Canadian maybe? Just wondering...

Canada has their own "american" football league (Canadian Football League, or CFL) and they have their own playoffs and championship. So far, there has been no intermingling of the two leagues so USA teams never play Canadian teams. But many USA players either start off in the CFL to see if they can do well and get recognized by the NFL teams and get picked up. Or, in the case of Johnny Manziel, a former Cleveland Browns quarterback, you have tons of talent but can't behave socially and you go to the CFL to try and re-establish yourself and see if an NFL team will take a chance on you again.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wildcard round of the playoffs are over, and what a weekend it was. Other than the Colts vs. Texans (which was a snoozer; the Colts dominated) the games were all good. The Chargers managed to beat the Ravens, as Lamar Jackson had a day to forget. I thought the Ravens would put in Flacco to start the 4th quarter, but apparently not.

The Bears vs. Eagles was awesome to watch. Either team could have won that game, they were so evenly matched. Michael Bennett was in the game, which helped the Eagles get a pass rush on Trubisky, but he almost cost them the game with his stupid personal foul in the first half after they had stopped the Bears on a critical 3rd down play. That gave the Bears a first down which eventually led to them scoring. I'm glad Seattle got rid of him. He can't keep his emotions in check and it cost his team.
Nick Foles wasn't perfect (two interceptions) but he sure wasn't bad either (two touchdowns) and he did enough to lead his team to a win. But it was the Eagles defense that surprised, playing as well as the vaunted Bears and keeping the team in contention. And the way the game ended was a heart-breaker for the Chicago Bears kicker (Parkey.) He made the first kick, for the win, with seconds left but the Eagles had called timeout just before the snap, so it didn't count. Then his second kick hit the left upright, fell down, hit the bottom crossbar and...fell in front of the goalposts for a miss. Wow. That was the game. Happy for the Eagles, sad for the Bears, but mostly pleased for a really good, close game.
Next week the New Orleans SAINTS will face the Philadelphia EAGLES and the Saints should win it, but the Eagles can't ever be counted out with Nick Foles playing quarterback. He has his team believing they can beat anyone. Belief is a powerful thing.
The Dallas COWBOYS will face the Los Angeles RAMS and that should be a relatively easy win for the Rams, on paper.
The Los Angeles (should be San Diego) CHARGERS will go to Foxboro, MA, to face the New England PATRIOTS. You have to believe the Patriots will knock out the Chargers in that game, but the Bolts looked surprisingly good against the Ravens so maybe it'll be closer than I think. Just hoping for a good game.

Finally, the Kansas City CHIEFS will face the Indianapolis COLTS in Kansas City and this is my favorite match-up as the Chiefs have to be favored, but the Colts are on a run and have momentum. I think this is the surprise upset of the week, with the Colts knocking out the Chiefs.
I'm still 'predicting' Patriots vs. the Saints in the Superbowl, with the Saints pulling off the win. We'll see!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It's the 2nd day lost to rain in Sydney for the 4th Cricket Test India vs Australia. Not good. It's sunny here 400 KM's away.

No tomorrow with the allocated 5 days up and then over to One Day International's Series with different Players of both Countries playing 50 overs a side.
The Indian's are the real winner of this Test Series as they are so much a better Team than our pathetic lot.

I hope the Ashes between England and Australia is a more even contest.

To the earlier quest asked to what NFL American Football is called ex USA, it was formerly called Grid Iron here before it faded away to NFL for the faithful.
One of our Commercial Free to Air TV Networks screens it as a filler overnight on the 3rd SD quality channel, and multicast's on HD/SD Channels for the Superbowl big game.
They must get some audience for the Superbowl, the ratings figures would make interesting reading.

No one I know watches Superbowl Day. It loses me with all the standing around and isolated action bits that last less than a minute between coffee breaks and another Team conference.

Certainly not an 80 minutes of action game like my NRL Rugby League or on the go AFL. Our Football codes are geographic State based, NRL up north, AFL south.
AFL is Aust Football League which is peculiar to itself and is nothing like Rugby derivatives or US NFL.

Soccer has a big following in Australia of late. 25 years ago, it was a game for those born to Overseas parents.

I read recently what happened to Cricket in Canada.
That makes a good story to read in Wikipedia.
I always wondered why they turned their back on Our Mother Countries favorite Summer sport to encompass the Yankee Baseball ?

Rob.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chiefs kicked a$$ , if their defense plays like that for the rest of the playoffs they will win it all. I don't think the Patriots or the Chargers are going in to KC and beating them. The Cowboy defense were beat up front that was the whole game right there. Today should be some good games, I'm rooting for the Chargers and the Saints,ok I got to go to the store and get some beer

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't believe the Saints aren't going to the Super Bowl because a ref missed a call, it's not right! The Patriots again, man when will they just go away LOL. The Chiefs were out couched .

1 - 20 of 102 Posts