GSXS 1000 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
As a Bills fan, my heart is there but realistically, I think the SB will come down to KC and New Orleans. Teams respond differently in the playoffs so I would need to see some games to say who I would take. I would like to see Andy Reid get the SB monkey off his back. Very good coach but needs a Super Bowl win to convince many that he stands out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Andy Reid is a great coach and I'd love to see him get a crack at a Super Bowl ring, too.

But my heart is with Seattle Seahawks. I don't see them winning it all this year The defense is just too porous. Definitely NOT the "Legion of Boom" anymore, and that's going to be their undoing. But hopefully they can make a run for it and look respectable.

I think it is New Orleans year to go from the NFC. They've been screwed the last two years (once by their own player missing an easy tackle to end the game against the Vikings, and once by the officiating against the Rams.) They have a chip on their shoulder and look pretty well balanced on offense and defense. But those 49'ers sure seem to think they can go all the way, and believing your team is destined can make you play up to that hope. We'll see.

In the AFC, it seems foolish to ever count the Patriots out, but I just don't see the mojo there this year. They are good. But having to play in the wild card round is going to be their undoing. They will get injured and depleted before making it to the Superbowl. It is looking like the Baltimore Ravens will be the team going from the AFC.

So New Orleans Saints vs. Baltimore Ravens in the Superbowl. That's my prediction. Now we just need to play the games and blow up my predictions so I can come back and make NEW ones on Monday, ha!

Go Hawks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
First round of playoffs are done. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS continue! (Sorry Philadelphia Eagle fans...but you let Foles go, so that's on you.)

The New England Patriots are OUT of it! Yes. Finally. Sick of them. Dynasty is over. Tom Brady is retiring or moving on to some other team. They sure had a long run. It was impressive.

The New Orleans Saints choked against the Minnesota Vikings stout defense. Drew Brees was not himself. I think his hand injury was effecting him and he hurt the team by coming back to play too soon. They should have stuck with Teddy Bridgewater for a few more weeks. That guy had the hot hand. I'm just bummed that for the third year in a row, the Saints found a way to lose and miss the superbowl. I think time has run out in New Orleans for Drew Brees and Sean Peyton to make another Superbowl run.

The Houston Texans managed to sneak past the Buffalo Bills, but they don't look like a very 'strong' team. JJ Watt gave them a boost on defense by coming back to play after his 'season ending' injury. They'll need him more than ever moving forward.

Since the Saints are out of it, my NEW superbowl prediction is SEATTLE SEAHAWKS vs. BALTIMORE RAVENS.
I know...it's optimistic. Seahawks don't have the defense or offensive line to make it to the Superbowl, but a man has to have hope. Besides, I'm secretly hoping the Kansas City Chiefs (w/Andy Reid as coach) makes it to the Superbowl from the AFC this year. I still want Seattle to win it all though, ha!

Let's see how the playoff games go this weekend.

Anyone else have a prediction for who is going to make it to the SUPERBOWL this year?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tennessee with a big surprise this weekend. I am still rooting for KC to go all the way, given the remaining cast.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Man the way KC was scoring yesterday they are going to be tough to beat. For Tennessee to beat KC they are going to have to run the ball and keep KCs offense off the field. I think it's going to be KC and the 49s in the superbowl. High power offense against a fast defense should be a great game

·
Registered
525 Posts
Tennessee with a big surprise this weekend. I am still rooting for KC to go all the way, given the remaining cast.
Tennessee was amazing. No one would have picked them to beat the Ravens decisively like they did. That is a stout defense! And defense wins championships. I wouldn't bet against the Titans...but KC racked up the points like it was a basketball game. Pretty impressive. Can't wait to see how the game plays out between these two.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Man the way KC was scoring yesterday they are going to be tough to beat. For Tennessee to beat KC they are going to have to run the ball and keep KCs offense off the field. I think it's going to be KC and the 49s in the superbowl. High power offense against a fast defense should be a great game
You are so right - Tennessee will have to play a game of 'keep-away' from KC to win, but it is possible. They have the running game to do it. Still, it is hard to bet against Mahomes. It looked like Kelce was pretty injured by the end of the game against the Texans. That could prove decisive when KC faces the Titans.

I like your pick for the Superbowl (Kansas City Chiefs vs. the San Francisco 49ers). I think that's going to be a great game if it comes to that.

Just to be 'for the underdog', I'll go Tennessee Titans vs. the SF 49ers. But I sure wouldn't be upset to see KC go. Andy Reid deserves a Superbowl shot.

Football has been great this year. Some really close games and some interesting ones, too. (Texas up by 24 only to lose when the other team scores 51 points?! Insane.)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Yea this year has been great. Changing of the guard when it comes to quarterbacks and new teams in the SB. Everybody thought the Ravens were the team to beat, man they folded in the playoffs

·
Registered
525 Posts
USA Football playoffs & superbowl

Yea this year has been great. Changing of the guard when it comes to quarterbacks and new teams in the SB. Everybody thought the Ravens were the team to beat, man they folded in the playoffs
You got that right (Ravens folded quickly.) They seemed so unbeatable toward the end of the season. But they rested their starters for the last game, since it didn't mean anything. Then they had a week off. So when they actually came out to play again after that long of a break, their mojo was lost. They would have been better off having to play a wildcard round just to keep their momentum up.

I think you are right about the changing of the guard in quarterbacks, too. The 'pocket passer' (Drew Brees and Tom Brady) just aren't the future. A running quarterback adds another 'threat' on offense as we've seen with Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson (and Patrick Mahomes.) That's where teams should be heading for future QBs.

It looks like the San Francisco 49ers should dispatch with the Green Bay Packers pretty easily, but with Kittle injured, it may be more difficult than it looks. But I saw Aaron Rodgers limping toward the end of the Seattle game, so he is not 100% either, which will limit him somewhat, too. I still think the 49ers take the win and go on to the Superbowl.

Kansas City Chiefs and Tennessee Titans might appear to be a blowout going the Chiefs way (I mean, KC just KILLED the Texans!) but the Titans didn't get past the Ravens because they were lucky. They had a tough defense and a great running game and the Chiefs have been horrible at stopping the run this year. This game is going to be more even than I think most expect. Should be a great Sunday of football.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
You're right KC did a job on the Texans, but don't forget the Titans beat New England AND the Ravens on the road to get to the championship game.This might be the best game in the playoffs. If Green Bay can figure a way to slow the 49er pass rush this is going to be closer than alot of people expect. I think Rogers understands this might be one of his last chances for a another ring. You would be shocked how many guys are played injured this time of year and a lot of these guys get shots for pain.

·
Registered
525 Posts
San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs in the Superbowl

You're right KC did a job on the Texans, but don't forget the Titans beat New England AND the Ravens on the road to get to the championship game.This might be the best game in the playoffs. If Green Bay can figure a way to slow the 49er pass rush this is going to be closer than a lot of people expect. I think Rogers understands this might be one of his last chances for a another ring. You would be shocked how many guys are played injured this time of year and a lot of these guys get shots for pain.
Well, the last playoff games are over and the 49ers will play the Chiefs in the Superbowl. So much for my 'early guesses' at who would go, ha! But I'm happy to be wrong. Seriously. It's exciting to have two new, fresh teams playing in the big show this year. It looks like it should be a great game. Both teams have a strong offense and defense (I think KC has the edge on offense and SF 49ers have the edge on defense; but they are CLOSE!) I just hope we actually get a good game and not one of those blowouts that becomes a snooze by halftime.

The Titans looked good against the Chiefs for about 25 minutes and then...the Chiefs crushed them from there. Mahomes is really a quarterback phenom. A once in a decade player. KC was lucky to get him. The Titans kind of looked like they were simply worn out. They ran out of steam. They couldn't figure out how to stop KC and the Titan offense couldn't get the Henry running game going like they did in their previous two games. And that was it. An exciting first half and then it became a runaway.

The Packers looked bad against the 49ers from the get-go. BORING. What was the score? 27 to 0 at the half? And it looked like Green Bay had no answer. They did come out in the second half and scored a bit, but the 49er defense finally shut that down before it even got close. I think a Seattle vs SF 49er playoff game would have been much more interesting. Seattle had beaten the 49ers once already and were only 6 inches away from beating them the second time. But they couldn't overcome GB (and the refs) in Wisconsin last week, so we got a 'boring' playoff game to watch instead. GB seemed to have no answer to Jimmy G, Richard Sherman, and the rest of the boys in red on the West Coast. Aaron Rodgers was a lot like Tom Brady this year - good but somehow, just not as effective his younger version.

Okay, so who wins the SuperBowl?
I'm going to be rooting for the KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (go Andy Reid!) I think Patrick Mahomes and company have the magic this year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am glad to see some new teams in the big game too. My sense before the game last weekend was that Green Bay was team that advanced above expectations and were lucky to be that deep into the playoffs. The 49ers line absolutely dominated them and made for easy running. I watched the game but not real closely as I was working on some things with one eye but was shocked to hear somewhere in the 4th quarter that Jimmy G only threw 6 passes - for the whole game - at that stage. Unheard of in today's pass-first league.

My emotional choice remains KC for the big game. I would like to see Andy get the SB monkey off his back. Mahomes is 'other worldly'. Should prove to be a good game.

·
Registered
525 Posts
<SNIPPED STUFF> My emotional choice remains KC for the big game. I would like to see Andy get the SB monkey off his back. Mahomes is 'other worldly'. Should prove to be a good game.
I'm with you on seeing Andy Reid finally winning the big game. He is one of the best coaches in football but the big prize has eluded him. I think this is his year. He has the quarterback. The defense has gotten better over the course of the season. Hopefully the team plays up to their capabilities and they can win it all for him. That should ensure he makes it into the Hall of Fame at some point.

You mentioned how few passes Jimmy Garappolo made in the Green Bay game (final total was 8) and that number stunned me, too. That's unheard of in today's pass happy league. But it means they are going to be very tough to beat. A team that can beat you with the run is very dangerous. They can kill clock. They can 'impose their will' on you by converting those 3rd and short downs again and again.

I think about the John Elway years with the Denver Broncos; they didn't ever win the "big game" until they got Terrell Davis (TD!) and that guy just crushed opposing teams with his legs. I was sad to see his career end early due to a knee injury but very glad the Hall of Fame voters didn't hold that against him. He deserved to be in there. An amazing running back for his time.

That's why I think this Superbowl can be really good. The Chiefs and Mahomes can score fast and a lot. But the 49ers defense is special and their run game is powerful (Mostert and Breida; Tevin Coleman has a serious shoulder injury so I don't know think he'll play in the big game.) Should be good to see which coaches' game plan better and which team "wants" it more.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I agree with you Frog this can be a great Superbowl. KC run defense is a weakness and we all know SF is a running team. If KC can't stop the run it will be a long day for the KC defense.On the other side if SF defense can't slow down Mahomes SF will lose the game which I think is going to happen. KC simply has too many weapons, Sherman isn't going to cover Hill one on one too much speed there, actually I would like to see him get beat for a score because he has a big mouth .

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey Jorider61, I like your analysis of the teams strengths and weaknesses. I still think it's going to be close. But then again, everyone thought the Broncos were going to crush the Seahawks and we all saw how THAT one went, ha! That's what I love about the game - you just never really know what is going to happen until they play. I'm hoping for a close game so it's not boring.

As for Richard Sherman covering Tyreek Hill, I am with you - I just don't see it happening. Hill is so dang fast and Sherman is slower than ever. He is still a great cornerback, but he can't keep up with someone with the speed of Hill anymore. I'm sure the 49ers will 'scheme' to get Sherman help at times, but I'm hoping he gets burnt for a TD just to humble him a bit. He can be so arrogant. But as long as he keeps living up to his own mouth, he can get away with it. He's a very clever player. Effective. But time catches up to all of us. Hill will be a real test for him.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I too have to agree that Sherman will struggle 1:1 with Tyreek. Age catches up with all of us. Saw Sherman and Revis sparring on Twitter last week. Father Time caught up with Revis too and he looked human towards the end.

·
Registered
525 Posts
<snipped stuff> Age catches up with all of us. <snipped stuff>
You said it all right there. No matter how good a player is, time is the ultimate competitor because it cannot be beat. Sherman is likely a hall of famer when all is said and done, but his bombastic attitude has alienated a lot of people who could see his talent but didn't care for his tone. Like you said, Revis' day came. Sherman's will, too. And I sure in the heck wouldn't want to be trying to keep up with Tyreek Hill for 60 minutes! That dude is so fast.

I can't wait to see how this game plays out. It seems very evenly matched up on paper.

·
Registered
525 Posts
YES! The Chiefs and Mr. Andy Reid got their Superbowl victory. I was so happy for the guy. It must feel amazing to get that 'monkey off your back' after so many years. I have this visual of Steve Young, upon winning his first superbowl, having a team-mate take the imaginary monkey off his back! Great moment in sports right there - as long as we all remember and agree that Joe Montana was the best QB of all time ;)

As for the wish that Richard Sherman would get forced to eat some 'humble pie', wish granted! This was from a summary of "STUDS" and "DUDS" of the game:
Dud: Richard Sherman

Undeniably one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, Richard Sherman has been a driving force for the 49ers all year long — both on the field with his play and as a leading voice. During Super Bowl LIV, Sherman failed to make the type of impact plays we’ve gotten used to seeing from him in big situations. Even worse, he was roasted more than once.
Tyreek Hill almost popped Richard Sherman’s achilles again smh pic.twitter.com/zMVdsoUsNE
— Agent of Chaos (@TheTrillAC) February 3, 2020
Sherman was also the victim of Watkins’ 38-yard catch late in the fourth quarter that led to the go-ahead score for the Chiefs. The 49ers had to play perfect defense to beat Kansas City. They did not. And their leader had a lot to do with that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Indeed...congrats to KC and Andy. Made for a good game. Sherman looked very human on 1;1 situations. I cannot believe Sammy Watkins was that open in that situation.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Mahomes really played a great game, the way he was running away from the pass rush. Bosa was right on his butt a few times and he still manged to get those first downs. Then that 45 yarder to hill with the lineman right in his face, that was some play. He also was pretty lucky with those 2 fumbles that KC recovered, that one near the goal line that went out of bounds was huge. Sherman certainly got humbled now maybe he will keep his mouth shut.... Great game

81 - 100 of 102 Posts