GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the F-Touring, which comes with a tall screen, it also comes with the standard screen, today I tried to put the smaller screen on.
As you remove the tall screen there are 2 long metal spacers and 2 short spacers that fall out. these fit onto 2 long and 2 short bolts through the screen.
The screen is fitted to a cowl over the dash on the touring version, the cowl has 4 holes and 4 long rubber washers about an inch long with an internal thread that the screen bolts go into.
Instantly lost a flat rubber washer of a spacer and one of the long washers down the inside of the fairing, Im going to the dealer tomorrow to get the washers, but im wondering how the heck im supposed to get the spacers to stay put, as you cant see them or hold them, even with another person helping me, I tried blu tak, but the spacers are to heavy.

Can anyone help me how to put the screen back whilst holding the spacers in place, any tips ? looked for fitting instructions on powerbronze thinking they would be the same but there were none.

Here is the screen with the cowl, I put tape to hold the two together, otherwise they fall appart when your trying to fit them.

Cown where the long washers fit inside the holes, lost one !

This is one of the spacers with a washer on that fits on the cowl, and under the screen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
I found on other bike application when you can't hold the spacer I would if the spacer was rubber spray a little rubber silicone on the spacer and it would act a a clue, if the spacer is a metal then a touch off grease wold hold it long enough , I have also used blue tack, hair spray,grip glue , rubber bands and a long nose pliers , I would avoid supper clue as I once found out it can react with some type of plastic and melt it but luckily my wife has long thin fingers and comes handy
Hope this helps

Reactions: flashpixx

·
Registered
72 Posts
The factory screen do not use spacers, just the wellnuts ( what you call the washers with threads) and screws.
The spacers must be for the after-market screen
The factory screen has like "feet" molded in the plastic that space the screen out from the cowling. The after-market must not have those and therefore use spacers

·
Registered
24 Posts
As luc said, the rubber pieces with threads inside are called wellnuts. They are designed to expand when a screw is tightened down in them. What I would do is take the wellnuts out of the fairing then assemble the screws, windshield , spacers, and wellnuts off the bike. Don't tighten the screws, just thread them a turn or two into the wellnuts. Since the screws aren't tight, you should be able to install the windscreen by pushing the wellnuts into the holes in the mount. Don't push too hard, you just want them in as far as they were when you took off the stock shield. Now gently tighten the screws. The wellnuts will expand and secure the shield. Be careful not to overtighten the screws. I haven't played with my windshield on the Suzuki, but that's the method I've used before on other bikes.
Hope this helps,
Bob

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hi
I found on other bike application when you can't hold the spacer I would if the spacer was rubber spray a little rubber silicone on the spacer and it would act a a clue, if the spacer is a metal then a touch off grease wold hold it long enough , I have also used blue tack, hair spray,grip glue , rubber bands and a long nose pliers , I would avoid supper clue as I once found out it can react with some type of plastic and melt it but luckily my wife has long thin fingers and comes handy
Hope this helps
A little dab of honey will provide all the stick you need and its all natural haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts