GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just brought used 2015 gsxs1000 as mentioned in previous posts first impressions of the bike were the sensitive throttle and crap rear shock. Anyway, replaced the shock with Nitron setup on shock dyno sprung for my weight and it feels great, also installed Katana throttle tube and whilst it isnt a radical difference it has smoothed the throttle a bit. My bike is stock apart from Yoshi slipon which was on it when I brought it all I've done was tps check using dash mode and taking the excessive throttle slack out. Overall bike feels 100% better than when I picked it up and I am happy so far.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Too bad the Katana tube isn't much of a change.

Interesting how you took the excess throttle slack out to improve the touchy throttle. I tried that last weekend and it was way worse. Every little bump in the road meant the throttle moved. I put about 4mm of slack back in so it now absorbs the movement caused by the bumps without the bike lurching back & forth.

I don't find the rear shock bad when comparing to my previous rides (and my current Triumph which rides harsher) so I'm not convinced it's a worthy upgrade yet.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Bumps in the road don't do anything to your throttle

Hahahahahaha....thats one of the most wrong things ive read on this site.

New fork internals absolutely killed what was left of my finicky throttle.

Having to ride on a coblestone street daily, i can assure you every little bump and vibration translated straight into the handlebar and throttle, until i upgraded the forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
You nailed it!

Hi all just brought used 2015 gsxs1000 as mentioned in previous posts first impressions of the bike were the sensitive throttle and crap rear shock. Anyway, replaced the shock with Nitron setup on shock dyno sprung for my weight and it feels great, also installed Katana throttle tube and whilst it isnt a radical difference it has smoothed the throttle a bit. My bike is stock apart from Yoshi slipon which was on it when I brought it all I've done was tps check using dash mode and taking the excessive throttle slack out. Overall bike feels 100% better than when I picked it up and I am happy so far.
Hey Kneedown,
You nailed things right out of the box. Fixed the two biggest 'glitches' with the GSX-S right off the bat. Smart man. When the bike 'fuels' properly (not too abrupt coming off closed throttle) and stays glued to the road without pounding your kidneys into submission, you just have more fun riding and want to do it more often. I hope you keep enjoying your new ride and keep us posted of any new additions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I should have taken a comparison pic of the Katana throttle tube vs original, my first thoughts were they looked very similar but under closer inspection the Katana tube is slightly different, it has taken the initial on/off transition and smoothed it a bit it isn't night or day mod but I guess they all add up.

·
Registered
586 Posts
@Kneedown69, You are right about taking out the slack in the throttle - it gives you more control and it takes some getting used to. But once you adjust to it, it is so much smoother when coming back on throttle from fully off, just as you pointed out. The Katana throttle tube helps with that, too. I can't stand a bike with a bunch of throttle 'free-play' now. It drives me nuts. But that's what I've gotten accustomed to (no free play.)

And @Beerded Wanderer isn't wrong about the bumps having nothing to do with the throttle moving...technically. They don't. But if you are holding onto the bike, with hand on the throttle, it can sure be difficult to not inadvertently cause throttle input under those conditions.

But honestly, this is life with EFI bikes. They are touchy. Sensitive. Not as 'smooth' in response to throttle changes. If a manufacturer could 'mimic' what a great carbureted bike felt like with their EFI system, that would be perfect. Maybe someday...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don’t like any slack in the throttle..
I’ve noticed that as the euro pollution police get more stringent the throttle snatch on most bikes is getting
Worse.
Some manufacturers can still get it right with smooth throttle control but most can’t?
First thing I did with the gsxs was woolich and then try and set up the stock suspension.
You can sort of get the stock suspension in the ball park but that rear shock is making life hard to set things up.
If your having problems over bumps with the throttle try dialing in a click or two of rebound on the front forks
and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I agree what Jeff's above post is very correct. A small amount is built in down at the throttle body end, (1 mm on each cable) anyway at the designed adjustment setting.
EFI has been been around for close to 20 years now, and if they could truly simulate mechanical carbies close off/open latency it would have happened by now on all bikes.
Ride by wire is getting close, but it's no way perfect. Then there is the rubber cush drive and it's slop.

I've wondered if you could fit some sort of air damper externally to the ECU controlled throttle body butterfly that would have the same effect ?
Problem is OEM's are looking for every bit of pollution savings I suppose.
I remember a GSX-R 750 Forum post some 10+ years back where a Guy dismantled the TB's and removed the EFI operated butterflies and claimed 100% improved throttle control, just like a carburetor action.
Wonder what the result would be with today's system ?

Rob.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I'm still amazed at what a nicely tuned carb can do in comparison. Analog vs digital. (maybe that's why the hipsters are dragging out grandpa's vinyl records). ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mate of mine had the 07 R1 with the ride by wire throttle and it felt really weird hard to explain like your disconnected?,maybe the newer stuff has being dialled in better or over time you adjust and it become second nature. For me I prefer to have a cable and in control of it. I also have a Gsx1400 and the fuelling is lovely the connection between throttle and rear tyre is sublime, the more I ride the gsx the more I've adapted to the nature of the fuelling, could it be better? Yeah but I've had a diet of litre sportsbikes for the last 20yrs so you learn to be smooth and feel what the rear tyre is doing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Blah blah, I'm right, blah blah. That's what I read.
Haha. It's all good. The one thing I do like about the abrupt throttle is indeed the RIGHT NOW response to your right hand. In most of my cars I've always installed a Sprint Booster to get that response more immediate than what the manufacturer puts in, so I do like a responsive throttle. On a bike though that's much lighter and more sensitive to bumps on the road it can be a bit much as it sits.

I am adjusting to it because after not riding the Triumph for a while after getting the GSX, I put it's normal ride mode from Rain all the way to Sport. It's still not as touchy as the Suzuki but you do adapt to it.

Between adjusting to it with your brain & muscle memory and the small tweaks to the bike it does get a bit better. Having said that, I ordered a booster plug yesterday so will see it's effect on the bike.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Gixxus_Lou,
The 'right now' throttle can be fun. I had a Ford Mustang rental with the V-8 once and thought, "This is going to be great!" I got on the interstate and had some clear road ahead, so I hit the gas. The engine spooled up, then the transmission loaded up and THEN (finally) the acceleration occurred. I was just stunned. It was ridiculous. Like pulling a rubber band back, then letting it go. Almost like waiting for a turbo (anyone remember turbo lag?)

My CBR929 was RIGHTNOW! with throttle input whereas the CBR954 was more smooth and gradual, like a carbureted bike. The CBR954 was so much better in the corners, but the 929 'felt' faster and more entertaining. Funny how things can be like that.

I think the Gixxus strikes a decent balance between quick acceleration but without being as abrupt as that old 929 was, which helps. I can just imagine how smooth and silky things could be if the bike builders didn't have to cut all fuel in off-throttle to account for emissions. But I get it - 6 billion people on the planet and still growing. Gotta do something about the stuff spitting out the exhaust so we can all keep breathing 'good' air. Still...I miss the way a dialed in, carbureted bike felt coming on throttle...sssmmmooooottttttthhhhhh.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My 2016 Mustang GT is a manual (only way I'd have it) so none of that waiting for the auto to do it's thing … although I hear the new 10 speed auto tranny in the 2018+ is quite good.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts