GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so anyone here using a Nitron shock, if you are what do you think of it ? Im thinking of replacing STD one with either an R2 or R3 with the hydraulic pre load adjuster. Do you think the R3 is overkill for what will be a road bike only, no track stuff. There is only £90 difference in price so R3 ? Comments and opinions all welcome.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought the R2 with HPA for my F.

Its not fitted yet which turned out to be good news as I wrote my bike off a few weeks ago!

Intend to buy another F in the next month (after i can use my rebuilt shoulder) and will fit my new Nitron to that :)

I chose the R2 over R3 as I don't have the suspension setup skills or do enough track time to really dial it in. R3 really is a Pro level bit of kit though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the R2 with HPA for my F.

Its not fitted yet which turned out to be good news as I wrote my bike off a few weeks ago!

Intend to buy another F in the next month (after i can use my rebuilt shoulder) and will fit my new Nitron to that :)

I chose the R2 over R3 as I don't have the suspension setup skills or do enough track time to really dial it in. R3 really is a Pro level bit of kit though.
Yeah, for all the difference in price i thought id maybe do the 3. Ive been watching a load of Dave Moss vids on utube, there are hundreds of them, and i think, given his guidance in the vids, i could possibly get an R3 set up properly given time. Not sure though.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have the NTR1 nice and simple, works great.

I've got enough to cope with at the front forks. If there are things to twiddle with it's hard to leave them alone and I'm never satisfied.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the NTR1 nice and simple, works great.

I've got enough to cope with at the front forks. If there are things to twiddle with it's hard to leave them alone and I'm never satisfied.
Maybe i will go that route too, im not sure. I really dont need a race quality shock but something better than standard would probably do. Wonder what would be best with the forks, a cartridge kit or just some better springs ? Dont know.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Check out PhuketPaul's website. He has an option for upgrading that is a lot less expensive. He has an adapter that makes a R1 shock fit perfectly. I picked up attached off eBay - for a fraction of the price of a Nitron, etc......

·
Registered
425 Posts
Check out PhuketPaul's website. He has an option for upgrading that is a lot less expensive. He has an adapter that makes a R1 shock fit perfectly. I picked up attached off eBay - for a fraction of the price of a Nitron, etc......
Did he get the adapters back from the vendor? I’ve been waiting on him to post something about it, I didn’t want to be a nag.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, fair enough but are you not just buying another standard shock, even though its better than the OEM one ? It would probably also need a service or an upgraded spring depending on your weight etc. At least if i was to buy a Nitron it would be custom made for me and my riding style and i would know it would be good for a couple of years before it required a service. Unfortunately i dont get as many miles in as id like so a couple of years between services would be fine i think. Im not saying your wrong, each to their own and i suppose if the R1 shock was cheap enough it would make sense. Which year bike did it come from do you know or do they all fit. Regards, Del

·
Registered
304 Posts
Did he get the adapters back from the vendor? I’ve been waiting on him to post something about it, I didn’t want to be a nag.

Message me that he was picking mine up from powder coating and shipping last Tuesday (April 2) along with my headers.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Let us know if you actually get those headers. Some of us have been waiting a long time with no results. It would be good to know they actually exist.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Message me that he was picking mine up from powder coating and shipping last Tuesday (April 2) along with my headers.
Let me know when you get it and mount the shock. I have a R1 shock on mine but would like to get the adapter if it keeps the stock rear height. My way raised the back by about 15mm.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just been away on a 3000km trip with a huge mixture of roads, from motorways to fast B roads to dirt roads and the shock was faultless, even thinking of leaving it in and selling my Ohlins TTX GP shock!

More comfortable than stock as well as more confidence inspiring

• There is preload is far more adjustable than stock (both finer adjustment and much larger range)
  • Adjustments are easy to reach
  • Both High and low speed compression adjustment (my Ohlins doesn't have High speed adjustment)
  • Rebound adjustment
  • Length adjustment

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just been away on a 3000km trip with a huge mixture of roads, from motorways to fast B roads to dirt roads and the shock was faultless, even thinking of leaving it in and selling my Ohlins TTX GP shock!

More comfortable than stock as well as more confidence inspiring

• There is preload is far more adjustable than stock (both finer adjustment and much larger range)
  • Adjustments are easy to reach
  • Both High and low speed compression adjustment (my Ohlins doesn't have High speed adjustment)
  • Rebound adjustment
  • Length adjustment

I also look forward to try the R1 rear shock on my GSXS, but still waiting for the adaptor to be ship. :(

·
Registered
244 Posts
ive got a R2 nitron shock, it transformed the handling, i specifically asked for compliant spring / damping to suit bumpy backroads, ive found it very good, so good i then had to do something about the forks, ive installed 1 hyperpro fork spring, one stock spring, and k-teck fork valves with 5wt synth oil.
now the suspension is balanced and comfortable on any road, allows me to use all of the tyres abilities, plus i run verah race fr brake pads which have made the brakes as they should be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts