GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the trigger and order a Nitron shock but I can't decide between the Ntr1 and the Ntr2. Trying to find a home that doesn't look out of place for the reservoir is what concerns me about the Ntr2.

Anyone had experience or got either fitted to their bikes?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How do you rate it Vnuh?
Have you had chance to give it a good shake down yet?
From the picture it looks like you have the reservoir on one side and the hydraulic preloader on the other. Is that correct or is it just the angle of the photo?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have just ordered a nitron NTR1 to give a try, anything has to be better than getting thrown out of the seat on a mildly bumpy road!

·
Registered
447 Posts
The shock you bought will not allow you to adjust compresson and rebound separately.

That sounds awful, but in reality will end up being no big deal. When suzuki puts a shock on this bike, it might cost them 50.00. You can look on that AliBaba import site to get an idea of how cheap someone can buy 100 shocks, then consider Suzuki bought 1000's of them.

Of course, the cheap shock will come with a spring and damping rates selected by the legal department. The shock has to work on a 150lb rider, or the 300lb rider and his 350lb girlfriend.

When you bought this Nitron, it is set up for your weight and probably a glance at your riding ability.

What it means is that this expensive shock will be very close to ideal, right out of the box, so you will not be needing to make any big changes to it.

I own a Penske shock for my bike. It has 28 compression and 30 rebound (or whatever it has).

I've played with the adjustments a lot, but its so close to stock settings, now, that if I had no adjustments, that would be fine. If I'm two clicks away from when the shock showed up, I'd be surprised.

I'd give it a thousand miles before adjusting. The internal pieces have a tight tolerance and do need a break in. If you adjust early, you just chase your tail (uh, I know this guy....)

I'll say it like this. You probably saved several hundred dollars and ended up with 97% of what the more expensive shock offers.

I halfway wish Id done the same. The reservoir is a pita when the bike is not equipped with one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger and order a Nitron shock but I can't decide between the Ntr1 and the Ntr2. Trying to find a home that doesn't look out of place for the reservoir is what concerns me about the Ntr2.

Anyone had experience or got either fitted to their bikes?
I have the Ntr 3 on mine. Love it!!!
The reservoir fits under the pillion seat if you don'y like the look of it under the guard.
I changed my order with no problems from Ntr 2 to the Ntr 3. The folk at Nitron are very helpful!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Ntr 3 on mine. Love it!!!
The reservoir fits under the pillion seat if you don'y like the look of it under the guard.
I changed my order with no problems from Ntr 2 to the Ntr 3. The folk at Nitron are very helpful!
Wouldn't go for the reservoir under the seat, need somewhere to store my puncture kit!

I am hoping the ntr1 will give me enough of an improvement without too many settings to mess up.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Kev, your only problem now is saving for a fork kit.

Once you get a shock, you just about have to. Stock suspension has such a dead, disconnected feel to it, and its almost untunable.

Yamahas r6 was a good example. One of the magazines did a test on its fork. Keep in mind, at the time, this was the most serious race machines Japan has ever produced.

They ran the fork in a dyno. The difference between full soft on the adjustments vs full stiff was less than 6%. Again, the legal department has to make sure we dont do anything to the fork, or shock, to create an unsafe machine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well getting the ntr1 was definitely the best upgrade I have done to this bike and the only alteration I have done to the settings it was sent from nitron was to drop the damping one click and now it feels perfect.
Very happy with the setup as it is now!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Had a Nitron on my Street Triple and it was simply outstanding. It came ready set up for me and it was nigh on perfect from the start. Just let it settle for 1000 km or thereabouts and then added half a turn of preload. Fantastic value for money.

Like rccannon, I had a Penske unit for my Blackbird. It was an amazing unit and superbly engineered but the range of adjustments was frankly overkill for the road. Nitron is fantastic value for money. As an aside, Nitron have also supplied the suspension for the UK Bloodhound supersonic rocket car so I'd imagine their R&D people know what they're doing :)

Edit: if I go for a shock upgrade, it will be a Nitron too but after 12,000 km, I don't think I'll be keeping the bike long term - perhaps a year at most.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well getting the ntr1 was definitely the best upgrade I have done to this bike and the only alteration I have done to the settings it was sent from nitron was to drop the damping one click and now it feels perfect.
Excellent had the ntr1 on mine for a while now. Either new shock or exhaust which in my humble opinion are not value for money you mite say , so went for the shock. Like you all, I did was adjust preload slightly ..fantastic ...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I will add it have set the forks to 2.5 rings preload, 5 compression and 5 rebound and am now happily wearing away the direction arrows on the 55 profile m7rr :)
I'm 100kg in my underwear so this may not work for you!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think a Nitron is next for me... Worried now it will show up the forks that will then need sorting...!!
I just stiffened them up after fitting the shock and seems pretty good to me now, certainly not on my priority list.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pictures!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nitron r1 fitted to mine and went up to a 190/55 metzeler m7rr (standard dunlop rear only lasted 1800 miles!!! and was crap, slid
in the wet a lot! brown trousers, even with traction control). I fitted a pc5 immediately as well and it made a vast improvement, since
I got the bike for £8500 new I did not mind spending 740 quid including the shock an pc5, rides like an absolute dream now and is
bloody ridiculous in 4th gear, pulls over 145!!! at rev limit, absolutely love it fantastic bike, and does not look like a Fugly transformer!!

All other readers get a nitron!! they are ace and superbly made, I have an R1 it's all you need for the road, I have noticed my traction
ctrl light never comes on anymore, where it used to flash like buggery coming off fast dual carriageway rdabouts, that's because the shock keeps the wheel on the ground!!.

I would also recommend fitting a 190/55 tyre makes the bike steer so much sweeter and roll lovely, with more grip in the cnrs, you can gear it back to standard by putting an extra 2 teeth on the rear sprocket or just leave it, as I have the bike still pulls hard. Also Metzeler m7rr's rock!!!

Prices Nitron R1 fitted £410, PC5 base map £330 fitted by myself (with much swearing at the fairing clips!!!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi I just received from Nitron my shock lovely looking but where do you put the piggy back reservoir ??? Please help pics if possible thanks

1 - 20 of 96 Posts