GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have my Nitrous kit installed, but ran into a wall with the tuning.

I have a dry single shot of nitrous. When the nitrous comes on, it hits hard and the bike turns into a BEAST! It is scary, I must admit, but it does feel great.

The problem is the stock exhaust and its catalytic converter, it is too restrictive at 164HP and up. We hit 164HP at 9,200 RPM and had to stop. So, I'm looking to either remove my catalytic converter or purchase a new exhaust.

I want to see if this bike will break 200HP without any internal modifications.

Does anybody know when Akrapovic will make an exhaust for our bike? Stay away from the M4 exhaust. Just saying.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
:D:D:D .( Where's the drooling emoticon when you need it?)

want!
Whats the issue with the m4 exhaust ?
Where did that kit come from and how much?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, the exhaust is nice and M4 is a good company. The M4 seemed like it was made with economy in mind. Seeing it up close you can see it is a nice exhaust, but could have been made better. That’s my opinion and because of that, I will seek another exhaust.
Regarding the nitrous setup. It is the beta (very first) kit from Nitrous Express. I’m still working out all the needed changes because the kit did not fit our bike. I’m making all the modifications to find the right setup.
The kit will have a carbon fiber solenoid that has improved nitrous flow and a lot less weight, and will support up to 130HP. I have a 1 pound bottle. The 2.5 bottle seemed too big and really stood out too much. I also have a billet bottle bracket and it’s mounted behind the right rear foot peg. This
I have moved the solenoid out of the air box. I had a heart attack thinking what if. What if the fitting on the nitrous solenoid started leaking? If it was leaking and I tried to start up the engine, I would have a big back fire, it could destroy my engine\bike\me. THINK ABOUT IT. If there is a big enough back fire… there is a gas tank right above the air box. SO… I strongly suggest not every having the nitrous solenoid in any motorcycle’s air box. Crazy right?

Reactions: tonyt

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Newer picture with nitrous solenoid out of the air box.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have my Nitrous kit installed, but ran into a wall with the tuning.

I have a dry single shot of nitrous. When the nitrous comes on, it hits hard and the bike turns into a BEAST! It is scary, I must admit, but it does feel great.

The problem is the stock exhaust and its catalytic converter, it is too restrictive at 164HP and up. We hit 164HP at 9,200 RPM and had to stop. So, I'm looking to either remove my catalytic converter or purchase a new exhaust.

I want to see if this bike will break 200HP without any internal modifications.

Does anybody know when Akrapovic will make an exhaust for our bike? Stay away from the M4 exhaust. Just saying.

Amazing stuff what you doing to your bike to increase power. I am envious. But without internal engine modifications do you think the engine itself can handle that power over a sustained period. And what about heating issues. Just wondering. Send some pics of the nitrous bottle mounted.

I think Akrapovic is already making an exhaust for our bike.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
A few of you guys wanted to see how I had my bottle mounted, so here are the pictures.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You keep your bike parked in a Crossfit gym? I don't know what's cooler, the bike or all the weights in the background. (I'm an exercise freak) :)

Reactions: Roddie

·
Registered
371 Posts
To answer your question about the exhaust.

The only full system available right now, to my knowledge, is the M4. Akra and Yoshi should have full systems coming out this year, though.

Your second option is to get the Arrow headers (can be found on ebay) and then add a custom silencer. It's been done a couple times already (do a search).

Looking at the M4 dyno chart, it seems to really open up the engine. I bet your nitrous would make tons more power without that restrictive exhaust.

BTW, is the nitrous tied to a throttle % or do you have a button?

We'd love to see any dyno charts you have ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You keep your bike parked in a Crossfit gym? I don't know what's cooler, the bike or all the weights in the background. (I'm an exercise freak)
Thanks.

The weights in the background are just for looks. I workout by lifting the motorcycle.

Joking.

Half my garage is for working out, the other half is for my motorcycle. I workout a lot too.

Reactions: JeffroGymnast

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would relocate that bottle so the cops don't give you **** .... LOL
The cops do what they do... with or without seeing my bottle.

I've watched a few cops see me bottle, and then shake their heads "No" and drive away fromy me. Glad they can't see me laugh under my helmet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The cops do what they do... with or without seeing my bottle.

I've watched a few cops see me bottle, and then shake their heads "No" and drive away fromy me. Glad they can't see me laugh under my helmet.
you won't be laughing when they impound your bike ....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To answer your question about the exhaust.

The only full system available right now, to my knowledge, is the M4. Akra and Yoshi should have full systems coming out this year, though.

Your second option is to get the Arrow headers (can be found on ebay) and then add a custom silencer. It's been done a couple times already (do a search).

Looking at the M4 dyno chart, it seems to really open up the engine. I bet your nitrous would make tons more power without that restrictive exhaust.

BTW, is the nitrous tied to a throttle % or do you have a button?

We'd love to see any dyno charts you have

You're right about the exhaust comments.

I'm in the process of getting the rest the tubing to make my step exhaust. I will use an 2010 carbon fiber Arapovic muffler... I'm thinking.

I have the nitrous turn on at a percentage of throttle. It is adjustable.

The nitrous will only fire when my 3 conditions are meet. When a set percentage of throttle, handlebar power switch, and a MAP switch (Dynojet) are "correct" the nitrous will fire.

Its a safe setup so the nitrous will not fire accidentally.

The biggest advantage to my setup is ease of use. Turn on the switches, hold on, twist the throttle to the set percentage, and the nitrous will activate. Untwist the throttle a little and the nitrous deactivates.

100% dependable. 1000% Fun!

Reactions: JeffroGymnast

·
Registered
299 Posts
Slothman, why is it illegal to have a nitrous bottle on the side of the bike? They are common down here and cops don't say anything. It's totally legal.

Besides, I don't need a bottle on my bike to do 189 miles per hour on my Busa. I hit 135 on my Gixxes on a weekly basis. I'd go faster but I can't hold on if I do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm sorry, I was saying that it is NOT illegal. Nitrous Oxide IS LEGAL. He can mount 37 nitrous bottles all over his bike if he wants.

Maybe it's not legal in California, but then California isn't part of America. It's its own Country. Everything is illegal in California............except smoking Pot. At least they have that one right! LOL!!!! :) :)

Reactions: BanditBrent

·
Registered
371 Posts
Unless a nitrous oxide system has been certified by the CARB (CA air resource board), I'm sure it's considered an emissions-affecting modification, making it technically illegal for street use in California. That said, so is a full exhaust, an air filter, a power commander, etc.

If a cop really wants to ticket you for it, they technically can.

·
Registered
239 Posts
One thing about living in the UK is that you can modify your ride to a very large extent!
As long as it passes the mot you can virtually do what you want. Except of course we are so overcrowded you can hardly use your bike to its full potential

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and say it.
F***ing h*ll!
Top work, keeps us posted. It's taken a year but some seriously cool mods are coming out now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts