GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi lads been touring around spain the last couple of days an had a problem with the bike not starting i would turn it on the fi light would flash press the starter it would click under the fairing at the back right side to get the bike started i had to turn it off engage gear give it a nudge in first turn the key back on pull the clutch an it would go ive done the dealer trick an it shows no codes rode it back from the south coast last night got it home stopped an started it 15 times o problems

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've been looking at it today an i think its something by the starter because when it does its thing not starting i tapped the casing by the starter clutch with a small plastic mallet the very slightest tap an it started on 3 or 4 occasions

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'd check the wiring on the starter side. With an older solenoid actuated and relayed starter, tapping can unbind the plunger. That's not the case with our starters though, the relay is under the seat, which is probably the clicking you're hearing, so tapping on the starter clutch cover shouldn't have any effect on that. I'd guess tapping is just enough for a frayed wire on the starter to make better contact.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Check the battery terminals and solenoid connections. Nip them all up a bit tighter with a spanner. It's not uncommon on all bikes to have this type of problem at some time.
It can also be a sign of a weak battery, especially if one has just been charging for a long time and getting hot, like on a trip abroad. The bike is still a bit new for a battery problem so I would go down the connection check route first.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Any luck?

Mine is behaving similarly now. For the last week or so, it won't start in the morning, starter motor will not engage, relay clicks though.

First time, I figured maybe I had a battery drain, it had been sitting for a few days, and it's getting rather cold. Tried to pop start it, flat ground and gravel, no luck. After that it started fine with the push button. Rest of the day it started up just fine.

Next time it happened, I held the start button down, and after a few false stutters without the starter motor engaging, it fired up. Rest of the day it started without issue. This same behavior happened on three or four more days.

Today it's just flat out refusing. Tried to pop start, tires are too cold, just locks and drags. I'm locked outside my friends house who headed off to work before I tried to start the bike. No access to tools till she gets back, but plenty of time for brain storming, I guess.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm sure you will check the resistance of the relay coil and you have the Service Manual too for reference if I remember correctly.
Once I had a high beam headlamp relay coil in my then Triumph T955 fail, and it was from corrosion on the positive wire of the coil connection inside the relay.
I put it down to an aggressive solder flux used at the Hinkley Factory. The part was most probably made by Joseph Lucas Co a.k.a The Prince of Darkness.
Some thing's Triumph won't let go, even now.

Rob.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I went to talk to the dealer, they said it's covered under the extended warranty. I don't think the mechanic understood what I meant when I said I bridged the terminals at the relay, told me to try charging the battery first. I'm gonna go get battery bench tested, just to check that box. Once the weather is too **** to ride, I'll take it in and let them worry about it. Till then I know I can start it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I went to talk to the dealer, they said it's covered under the extended warranty. I don't think the mechanic understood what I meant when I said I bridged the terminals at the relay, told me to try charging the battery first. I'm gonna go get battery bench tested, just to check that box. Once the weather is too **** to ride, I'll take it in and let them worry about it. Till then I know I can start it.

Thanks for the write up and follow up! I know you will get it figured out. That relay is only $65. I would be tempted just to pop one on there and see how it goes. Of course I don't have an extended warranty though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the latest update i think i've solved the problem by removing the relays under seat next to the fuse box an putting them back in fingers crossed this seams to have solved the problem maybe one of them was'nt seated just right

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Secretsix,

I have the same problem and got stuck on Wednesday PM and had to wait for the recovery lorry so this topic is of great interest to me. Can you measure the voltage on the battery with a DVM or other meter and let me know what it is when this happens?

I suspect I have a faulty battery, but it could be faulty relays as my bike has been used in the wet (alot)...

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
21 Posts
a volt meter isn't something i carry round with me but some info on my bike might help 2016 gsx-s fa 17980 miles as you used a lot in the rain
i dont think it has any thing to do with the battery on mine
let me know if you get any luck with it

·
Registered
541 Posts
I never did end up getting a new relay. I still have the problem, but only on cold days. As long as it's above freezing, she fires up just fine. I charged the battery, no effect. Took the battery in and had it bench tested, all green.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts