GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought a GSX-S1000 2018 naked model few days ago.
I hear a noise when the fan kicks in. I did some investigation.

When I manually spin the fan in its normal working direction I can hear the noise. To describe the noise, it sounds like the blades hit a tiny cable tie tip. faster spin more frequent noise. but when I spin it in counter direction I hear nothing. As far as I can see there shouldn't be any obstruction to be bit by the fan.

Just wondering how much the chance of fan failure is?!

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You shouldn't hear a thing if you are spinning it by hand and just the woosh of air if it goes off whilst you are riding.
You'll have to get your nose down there and have a look. It might only be something as simple as a leaf which needs needs pulling out or could be something more worrying. Sounds like the blades are knocking on something from what you say

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shouldn't hear a thing if you are spinning it by hand and just the woosh of air if it goes off whilst you are riding.
You'll have to get your nose down there and have a look. It might only be something as simple as a leaf which needs needs pulling out or could be something more worrying. Sounds like the blades are knocking on something from what you say
Thanks Beaker,

yeah it sounds like that. I looked at the fan as much as I could from underneath the bike but nothing I could identify. I am suspicious if it is the fan bearing.
Worrying since the fan is $500 and if it fails then I have a burnt engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts