GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought the S1000F 2019 model.

Been quite hot here in London recently and engine fan coming on a lot (obviously). But when it does, it gives off a very high pitched noise which I can hear through my helmet and earplugs! Took it for 600m service and told them. They just said that this noise was normal but I wasn't convinced by their response. It's kind of really annoying (in a nagging way) after a while, especially as the fan is coming on a lot.

I know fans can make this noise (happened with laptop I bought and as it happens I had to send it back as it was driving me nuts) but this doesn't sound 'normal'.

Is this common? Anyone else experienced this very high pitched fan noise?? Thanks

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I can hear mine when it comes on, just barely with my helmet on, and I don't wear plugs. I sometimes listen to FM radio (through my Sena) and then I don't even notice it. So I would have to say mine is noticeable but not significantly louder than any other bike I've owned.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Mike you don't wear ear plugs ? You know once you damage your ear drums there is no going back. You could hear a throbbing or whishing sound for the rest of your life so be careful with that.
I know... I know... I really should. I'm already mostly deaf in one ear from a motorcycle accident and skull fracture in my foolish youth. I do have a quiet helmet (GT Air) and I have Sena speakers in them which further blocks outside noise, but I've never been able to get over the inconvenience and discomfort.

Thanks for caring. That could explain why the fan noise doesn't bother me. ;)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
OP, the fan should not make a high pitched whining sound - on any bike. It should sound like what it is ... a fan. You can hear it kick in and run, but should not be anywhere near an annoying sound. Hopefully you can get the fan replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
i always wear plugs so dont notice fan noise....but a few winters ago ,,a long winter i started the bike war it up...yes when the fan turned on it has a high pitch sound almost like a whistle screech ..its normal,,,,,,love this bike

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
OP, the fan should not make a high pitched whining sound - on any bike. It should sound like what it is ... a fan. You can hear it kick in and run, but should not be anywhere near an annoying sound. Hopefully you can get the fan replaced under warranty.
I agree. It's a cooling fan for the bike. It's shouldn't be that loud.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mike google "Tinnitus" you can spends hours reading up on it.
Heck, I'll tell you about it first-hand.

My tinnitus is the result of riding my old Norton 850 Commando Roadster for years with no helmet. It wasn't the pipes so much as the wind noise at speed. Today I live with the incessant sound of a Cessna Citation jet with the engines idling at a distance of 60 feet, combined with a field full of cicadas...a subdued jet scream and constant raucous chirping. It's loud enough that I often have difficulty understanding what people are saying in a conference room. And there's no cure, no effective treatment.

It's something I'll have to live with every minute for the rest of my life. And some people have it really, really bad...so bad that their life is unbearable. They can't sleep, they can't function. There are support groups for people with tinnitus, and even those groups will admit that a small percentage of people in their groups commit suicide, because their life is literally unlivable.

My dad has it too, much worse than mine. I don't know how he lives with it.

So I'm tellin' ya, protect your hearing!

·
Registered
244 Posts
im fortunate - or maybe unfortunate that i cannot get ear plugs to fit in my ears, but... for some reason i dont seem suseptable to ear noise damage, ( could be due to my ultra small ear canals) i can grind metal for days on end with zero hearing impairment, this is after 20+ yrs of metal working and mechanicing, working in noisey factories etc
but what makes me squirm in pain is listening to opera music !

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Mike google "Tinnitus" you can spends hours reading up on it.
I've read a lot about it ....because I have it. It's from the inner ear damage I did in my 20s when I fractured my skull (the fracture went through my inner ear and cochlea). ... but that's another story.

Th tinnitus comes and goes, and over the years it has actually diminished to the point where I only get it for very short periods of time, maybe a couple times a year.
For me, it's like a high pitched alarm goes off in my head. It comes and goes quite suddenly. Fortunately, riding doesn't seem to cause any increase in symptoms.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts