GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read on the gixxer forum that people have bored out the current gsxs stock headers 12mm bung to 18mm bung by drilling and tapping the stock o2 bung. You need a 1/2 drill and a good sharp bit and a tap for the right size (M18 x 1.5).

This would be so much easier than removing the headers and welding a new bung.

Any thoughts on this being a good bad idea?

Only caveat is to make sure the shavings are removed from the interior of the exhaust before operation.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Woolich racing sell an adaptor you can screw in to take an 18mm sensor. Others might also if you Google or check ebay.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and never got an answer but would love to know today as my auto tune is hopefully arriving today and I would like to get it on over the weekend, my worry is that there is not enough wall on the existing 12 mm socket, the outside diameter of the socket is only 22.5mm which does not leave much meat for the 18mm thread, I also ordered an 18mm socket in case I have to weld it on and the outside wall is only 25mm and it's not overly thick, I also hope not to remove the headers and drill and tap in place but it doesn't look good although I thought I saw a photo on here a while a where some one did this and I'd love the confirmation.
If I do have to remove the headers I plan to cut the cat in half and hollow it out then clamp it back together so the exhaust is in two parts so i can fabricate the rest of the exhaust at a later date without having to remove the headers and also so I can install the existing exhaust easy if I sell the bike for compliance.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I did see the adapters at woolich but I think the sensor then would not give accurate readings as it would be set back in the socket and not in the flow of the exhaust
Also the drill bit needs to be 16.5mm for an 18mm tap and not 1/2 inch or the13mm equivilant

Reactions: sangedegsx

·
Registered
305 Posts
I do *not* recommend "mangling" the OEM exhaust.

And the O2-sensor is supposed *not* to be exposed directly in the exhaust.

When you want to tune the bike I recommend complete aftermarket exhaust - from headers and out. These have 18mm bung, M4? even both 18mm and 12mm.

I personally would not consider a used bike where the OEM parts were gone or "destroyed" in any way.
For me that is a sign of a "cheapo" owner doing shortcuts whenever possible. In every modification on the bike = no buy.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I do *not* recommend "mangling" the OEM exhaust.

And the O2-sensor is supposed *not* to be exposed directly in the exhaust.

When you want to tune the bike I recommend complete aftermarket exhaust - from headers and out. These have 18mm bung, M4? even both 18mm and 12mm.

I personally would not consider a used bike where the OEM parts were gone or "destroyed" in any way.
For me that is a sign of a "cheapo" owner doing shortcuts whenever possible. In every modification on the bike = no buy.

That's your opinion , the modification I would like to do to the original exhaust is getting it closer to what Suzuki would like it to be only to be held back by emissions regulations but allowing it to be easier to pass roadworthy regulations, do you have a tail tidy?

Reactions: sangedegsx

·
Registered
76 Posts
This will not work!
I tried and failed. There is not enough room for the bigger sensor, the sump gets in the way.
There is also no way you will do this without removing the exhaust.
I ended up welding in a boss slightly lower than the original.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I ended up removing the exhaust and drilling and grinding the old 12mm socket and welding on the supplied 18mm socket, it wasn't too bad of a job ,

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the confirmation.

Conclusion it cant be drilled out.

Im looking to get the arrow headers and storing the stock headers for when i sell it if that time comes.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That's your opinion , the modification I would like to do to the original exhaust is getting it closer to what Suzuki would like it to be only to be held back by emissions regulations but allowing it to be easier to pass roadworthy regulations, do you have a tail tidy?
Fair enough.
We all have our opinions. :nerd:
No, I do not have and will not have a tail "tidy". :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts