GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I mentioned this on another thread and thanks to kind donation of spare OEM header assembly from Mdala, thought I would start experimenting.
First image was my initial concept of drilling bypass holes in main muffler baffle. (This mod has been done by others on different bikes). It is not a performance mod- just for more sound.
Other images are stage 1. drilled a single 12 mm diameter hole .
Using my smart phone with sound meter app 84 dB at idle and 96dB at 5000 RPM - no change in readings before or after. Sound - maybe a bit deeper and still nice. Need to try under load though.
Too hot to ride here today- will test tommorow.

Actual drilling using a sheet metal step drill is easy, but needs a significant centre punch hole to start drill as drill is at angle to baffle plate, so had to make an extention rod for my punch. There is a reinforcing X in the baffle so drilled in the V of the top legs.

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
Why mess around around with a 12mm bit go straight to a 50mm 2" holesaw :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 inch hole would sound different im sure Nicka.

I tried it out tonight and confirm the exhaust note is deeper in tone, very uniform and marginally louder.
Now do not hear any of the induction noise and on returning home, my wife heard the bike pull in , which she normally would not notice whilst in the kitchen area of our place. Think due to deeper base sound noise travelles further.

I will run with this for a while and see if happy with it, or mod further.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just cut the whole CAT out and run a mid pipe in it's place. You can pick up a generic mid pipe at most auto parts stores. Pretty much what I did.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will eventually cut up existing OEM system and fit a link pipe- This mod is just an experiment.
I took it for a better run today and it really has a bit of a bark now after about 2500RPM under throttle- Not huge but enough to be fun!

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is my mod. It wasn't easy, I had to relocate the exhaust valve cable mount from the old pipe to the new pipe. I suppose I could have just left it off all together, but I figured it would keep it running good without adding a Power Commander. So far I think I was right because a Power Commander is not needed. It runs great.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
I will eventually cut up existing OEM system and fit a link pipe- This mod is just an experiment.
I took it for a better run today and it really has a bit of a bark now after about 2500RPM under throttle- Not huge but enough to be fun!
Hey Redbeard, to save me from buying/modding the tools required to do this, can we meet sometime? I'd be more than happy to buy you a beer if you'll "drill me".

LOL.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Redbeard, to save me from buying/modding the tools required to do this, can we meet sometime? I'd be more than happy to buy you a beer if you'll "drill me".

LOL.
Sure:) - Listen to mine first- and if happy, then we can duplicate.
I am in Canning Vale -
0412 477 054

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm sure you realize this, but these posts are over 3 years old. Most folks finally found out that you could take off the whole end can and it wouldn't make much difference. So drilling it may change the tone a bit, but no more volume is to be had unless you de-cat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts