GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking some additional reference points from other owners that have the Suzuki OEM Heated Grips installed on their bike. In particular, the wire lead orientation to the throttle tube side.

Can anyone with Factory OEM heated grips installed please post a photo of their throttle tube side wire routing/orientation--thanks

I had my heated grips installed by the dealer during my 600 mile service. Some other members here and over on ADVRIDER have suggested that the installation may have some routing errors present.

Here is a picture of mine, with the wire going back over the kill switch and under the handlebar on the rider side. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

IMG_0607 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,597 Posts
Sorry no pics but - easiest thing to do is unclip the wire where it joins the main harness then route it over the front of the throttle and underneath the brake master cylinder using cable ties as required. Oh and don't forget to plug it in again.:):):)
The wazzack that did the job needs the pointy end of your boot up his rear aspect.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Hayabusarider

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry no pics but - easiest thing to do is unclip the wire where it joins the main harness then route it over the front of the throttle and underneath the brake master cylinder using cable ties as required. Oh and don't forget to plug it in again.:):):)
The wazzack that did the job needs the pointy end of your boot up his rear aspect.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MO BETTER MO BETTER MO BETTER!!

Luckily this was an easy fix. The pig tail connection was bundled behind the headlight. Removal of the headlight is uber easy.

1) Remove the plastic Suzuki cover at the front/top of the headlight
2) Remove the 2 fasteners holding the headlight in place. It rests on a pivot. Simply disconnect the parking light connector and the headlight connector and lift the assembly up and out.
3) I had to remove 2 of the screws holding the instrument panel to partially pull it away from the headstock in order to re-route the right grip wire.

Aside for pulling the tools out and deciding how to re-route the wire it was a 5 minute job!!! Now I won't dwell on this all night!!!

View looking at the front of the bike:
IMG_7259 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

Rider view -- Fully Closed Throttle Position:
IMG_7257 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

Rider view -- WOT Position:
IMG_7258 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

Reactions: lee711

·
Registered
285 Posts
that looks better

Looks like mine but hope it works better . One cold rainy day I thought ah will turn on the heat . LHS works nice and toasty RHS can barely feel any warmth.
Told the dealer and they said they checked it and was receiving power, therefore it was working . But it barely heats , complained next time around and was told they would contact Suzuki Australia. As yet heard nothing , any one experiancing similar ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had the same issue with mine in the uk . Suzuki said they only heat up half the grip. Since my dealer fitted them with the heated part in the wrong position they refunded the cost . I managed to break the glue seal and move it to the correct position and it works fine now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone with OEM grips had Oxford heated grips and is able to compare? A local dealer doesn't have the OEM listed as available but sells lots of Oxford grips. I have used Oxford grips for years and found them very effective.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'm using Oxford grips and have found them to be very good.
The whole grip heats and they have an auto shut off if the engine isn't running so not to flatten the battery.
I'm very pleased them

·
Registered
593 Posts
Oxford premium grips are very good and the intellegent controller works well when connected directly to the battery. I didn't buy them again purely because the controller box is just too big and plain fugly.

I bought the Honda grips which have the same controller box as the Suzuki grips, but I made sure that I bought the higher powered 360 degree types. I ran them up on the bench when the were delivered and they were a toasty 90+ deg C all over after a few minutes, so should be fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
grip gripe

Had the same issue with mine in the uk . Suzuki said they only heat up half the grip. Since my dealer fitted them with the heated part in the wrong position they refunded the cost . I managed to break the glue seal and move it to the correct position and it works fine now.
Ah ha , the old we only heat up 1/2 the grip trick. Will ask the dealer to move the heated part to the right position.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A question: I don't understand if there is a oem plug for the heated grips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is an older post, but for anyone else searching I will post some pics. I found on another threat, if fitting the Oxford heated grips, there is a flange on the outside and inside of the plastic throttle part that the grip glues to. You have to cut off both flanges to get the Oxford grip to fit. I used a Stanley knife then a dremmel to smooth off the edges. I forgot to take a pic of the inside flange cut away. I did try to leave it on, but the bar end makes the throttle grip too tight and stops the throttle from springing back when let go. So gathering all the info from other posts, I found it easier to install the grips, mount the controller onto the clutch side, but I had to bend the mounting bracket that comes with the Oxford Grips so it faces the opposite way then bend it down as far as it would go before it his the bolt. Run all wires through into the headlight housing and then run the wires attached to the battery through the frame and up through the fork housing. You will have to take off the black plastic faring, it is held on by two plastic pop screws that pull out, 2 x Velcro sections, but be careful as the center has a plastic molded catch that slides onto a metal bracket on the side of the tank. Make sure you take care and pop the plastic screws, peel it off the Velcro and then slide it back towards the back of the bike to get it off. This will give you access to under the tank. I used some speaker wire to feed through the tight sections and taped the battery end and pulled it back through.

Good luck. :) Took about 2 hours. But I was being extra careful.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
wow this is an old post, my original Suzuki heated grips were so useless at heating that Suzuki Australia authorised my dealer to replace them with oxford grips , they really work . This is a well documented and often complained of issue and i am surprised Suzuki are still selling heated grips . Maybe they have changed them so they actually heat now ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts