GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000 2015
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much says it. Does anyone know the dimensions of the OEM Renthal Fatbar that comes stock with the GSXS 1000?

I'm looking to change bars and would like to compare them to the OEM one since the OEM is too high and upright for me.

Bars that I have in mind:
  • LSL Drag Bar XD1
  • LSL Superbike Flat XN1

·
Registered
493 Posts
The title pretty much says it. Does anyone know the dimensions of the OEM Renthal Fatbar that comes stock with the GSXS 1000?

I'm looking to change bars and would like to compare them to the OEM one since the OEM is too high and upright for me.

Bars that I have in mind:
  • LSL Drag Bar XD1
  • LSL Superbike Flat XN1
I believe they're 1-1/8" diameter at the tree. Another good choice is the Driven Racing Meteor SBK bars. Another member here recommended them and they're supposed to be lower and more aggressive then the OEM Fatbar without the upward sweep at the ends. Here's what they look like installed on his bike. Much more of a sporty "clip-on" type look.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000 2015
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe they're 1-1/8" diameter at the tree. Another good choice is the Driven Racing Meteor SBK bars. Another member here recommended them and they're supposed to be lower and more aggressive then the OEM Fatbar without the upward sweep at the ends. Here's what they look like installed on his bike. Much more of a sporty "clip-on" type look.

View attachment 46198
Ok thanks for the info. I will check it out, although I'm not so sure if these bars are allowed here since I'm from Switzerland and you need "approval papers" for almost every mod you do.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I will check it out, although I'm not so sure if these bars are allowed here since I'm from Switzerland and you need "approval papers" for almost every mod you do.
I've never heard of such a thing. Who issues these "approval papers" and why is it that way? I couldn't imagine not having the freedom to do as I pleased with my own property. Sorry you guys have to deal with that.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000 2015
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never heard of such a thing. Who issues these "approval papers" and why is it that way? I couldn't imagine not having the freedom to do as I pleased with my own property. Sorry you guys have to deal with that.
Well it's the law here. If you wan't to modify your vehicle and mount third-party parts to it then you need (90% of the time) a "swiss-approval paper" for the specific part. "Approval papers" are issued by the importers who import the parts to switzerland, on the "approval paper" the importer states that the specific part is safe for road use and doesn't exceed the guidelines of the law for the road and that it's made for this specific vehicle with this exact chassis number, bhp and so on.

So some parts can't be mounted since they don't have the "approval paper" for my GSXS.

If you mount parts that don't have the "swiss-approval paper", cops can either give you a big a** fine, impound your vehicle and much more which I don't know by heart.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well it's the law here. If you wan't to modify your vehicle and mount third-party parts to it then you need (90% of the time) a "swiss-approval paper" for the specific part. "Approval papers" are issued by the importers who import the parts to switzerland, on the "approval paper" the importer states that the specific part is safe for road use and doesn't exceed the guidelines of the law for the road and that it's made for this specific vehicle with this exact chassis number, bhp and so on.

So some parts can't be mounted since they don't have the "approval paper" for my GSXS.

If you mount parts that don't have the "swiss-approval paper", cops can either give you a big a** fine, impound your vehicle and much more which I don't know by heart.
So, if you make a lot of modifications to your bike, I'm guessing you have to carry a booklet full of approval papers for each modification in case you get pulled over? How do the cops know what parts are factory and what parts are aftermarket? Like the handlebars, for instance. The GSX-S comes with Renthal bars stock, which would probably appear to cops to be aftermarket, but they aren't. It seems like it would be nearly impossible for them to determine what is stock and what isn't for each vehicle on the road.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000 2015
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, if you make a lot of modifications to your bike, I'm guessing you have to carry a booklet full of approval papers for each modification in case you get pulled over? How do the cops know what parts are factory and what parts are aftermarket? Like the handlebars, for instance. The GSX-S comes with Renthal bars stock, which would probably appear to cops to be aftermarket, but they aren't. It seems like it would be nearly impossible for them to determine what is stock and what isn't for each vehicle on the road.
Yep that's correct we have to carry a booklet full of those papers, although only car guys have a booklet since there aren't many mods you can do on a bike that would be legal here.

99% of the time the cop will ask you what mods you've done to your bike, otherwise they start looking for "aftermarket brands" on the bike and then ask you if you have an approval paper for it. There are also cops that don't have a clue about mods so sometimes they won't even notice the aftermarket parts.

Some dude told me that he got in trouble with the Stock Renthal Fatbar because the cop thought it was aftermarket and made him get an approval paper for it (cost him around 100 bucks):cautious:.There isn't much you can do about it I think, except telling the cop that he should google it and hope that he does and believes it lol.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yep that's correct we have to carry a booklet full of those papers, although only car guys have a booklet since there aren't many mods you can do on a bike that would be legal here.

99% of the time the cop will ask you what mods you've done to your bike, otherwise they start looking for "aftermarket brands" on the bike and then ask you if you have an approval paper for it. There are also cops that don't have a clue about mods so sometimes they won't even notice the aftermarket parts.

Some dude told me that he got in trouble with the Stock Renthal Fatbar because the cop thought it was aftermarket and made him get an approval paper for it (cost him around 100 bucks):cautious:.There isn't much you can do about it I think, except telling the cop that he should google it and hope that he does and believes it lol.
How do they justify having such strict rules on modifications?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts