GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have worn the original tires down to the point that you replaced them, please post how many miles you had on the OEM tires at the time of replacement. Please indicate If you replaced the tires prematurely. For example, you were going to a track day and you knew that the sponsor would require at least 50 percent tread life and your tires were borderline so you changed them to be safe. I'm just curious how the rubber composition will hold up. And yes, I know the number will vary due to riding stile and personal opinion about when a tire has become unsafe; i.e some will ride tires until the belting shows and some will change tires when considerable tread life remains. You might also indicate what your riding stile is; hard and fast, slow and easy, or in between.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Still got them on but they will require replacing before 3500 km (~2170 miles) and will be replaced with Michelin PR4 sport touring tyres as I've had great performance from these on my Street Triple.

The OEM tyres have only been used for for fast road work as I'm an Observer (instructor) with the NZ branch of the Institute of Advanced Motorists. For most of my riding, I need a tyre which has good grip in both cold, wet conditions as well as summer. Not confident in the D214's (or most pure sport tyres come to that) in more marginal conditions.

I'm doing my first proper track day in early February but don't think they'll have sufficient tread left for it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The rear did 3940 ks & it was well worn, unfortunately there are lots of straights between the bends in WA. I don't do track days but I usually ride 500ks on Sundays at a reasonable pace. The OEMs were OK but nothing special, I have fitted a Metzler M7, see how that goes.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm at 2600 miles and convinced I can get another 500 or more out of the rear. Tread depth is right at 2/32 now. I'll be replacing with a Pilot Power 3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys , i did 7k on the OEM, and i think i over did it :D . Any reviews on the Michelin Pilot road 4 ? i heard they are great , i come from norway and i ride in Crap rainy weather , snow all year long ! Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got 3200 miles out of the rear but it was shot at that point. 50\50 commuting and fast canyon riding. No track days yet. Luckily my roads are mostly twisty so I did a lot of that mileage on the sidewalls. The front still looked to have some life but I changed them both for Metz m7rr in 190/55 in the rear and it feels sooo much better to me. This is a pic with the new tire just on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
OEM Dunlops 2860 miles 4602km

Avon 3D Sport 3122 miles 5024km

Metz M7RR 3458 miles 5565km Rear only - front still good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did 2400 on the OEM tyres incl 2 trackdays. Still had 500 miles left no doubt.

Replaced with Dunlop d209 qualifiers, the budget supersport tyres. Take a bit of warming up but the ride is so much better. £99 for the pair. Brilliant for the road and definitely better than OEM.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Pr4 work great on our less than perfect roads here in Norway
Had 3 pairs of them on my Street Triple and now on the GSX-S (55 section). Have covered 6000 km on them including a trackday and they are in great condition. Will probably get over 10000 km from them. Run them at 40psi rear and 35 psi front for normal road use. I ride in all weathers so need a multi-purpose tyre.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My rear was replaced right at 3000 miles. It was gone. I went with a Michelin Pilot Road 4. Now, almost 3000 miles on that one and it's only down slightly. I expect to get another 5 out of it easily, maybe more. Just replaced the front too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oem front did 10200ks, the rear which was replaced at the same time was a Metzler M7 did 6260ks. I now have a pair of M7s on, see how that goes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've got 4,880 on my stock rear and I still have about a millimeter left before hitting the wear marks. I'll do a 500 mile ride this weekend and that will kill them I'm sure. So I say I'll have about 5,200+ out of them. My rear seems to be lasting a long time. I don't engine brake, which I think wears out the rear tire. Because, even though we have ABS, it still causes excessive force on the rubber. I use 80% front and 20% rear on the brakes. Sometimes no rear brake at all.

Reactions: oldjackbob

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got 4,880 on my stock rear and I still have about a millimeter left before hitting the wear marks. I'll do a 500 mile ride this weekend and that will kill them I'm sure. So I say I'll have about 5,200+ out of them. My rear seems to be lasting a long time. I don't engine brake, which I think wears out the rear tire. Because, even though we have ABS, it still causes excessive force on the rubber. I use 80% front and 20% rear on the brakes. Sometimes no rear brake at all.
5000 miles = 8050 km ??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused: :confused:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah it's crazy! I've never gotten this much mileage out of a sport bike tire. I usually only get around 3,500. Not sure why this lasted so long. I'm putting Metzler M7s on next week.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts