GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do nails count? A whole 1065 miles out of the rear. I guess it gave me a good excuse to put on the PR4s early.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do nails count? A whole 1065 miles out of the rear. I guess it gave me a good excuse to put on the PR4s early.
I only got 820 miles before the nail :( I thought about trying to repair the tire (that's another whole topic), but since I can't seem to lock into a corner with the OEM and wear reports are crap, I also figure its an excuse to try something new.

Pilot Road 4's seem to be the #1 recommendation. Does anyone know how Bridgestone BT-023s compare on dry roads, and how the PR3s compare to the PR4s?

·
Registered
296 Posts
My OEM rear went in 3620 miles. And I put a Pirelli Angel GT on the rear. I have 1500 miles on the Angel GT and it looks new. No issues with slippage, I really like the feel of it. I don't ride in the rain much at all.

I have decided that for the GSXS, I will run a sport tire on the front and a sport touring tire (for longevity) in the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As soon as I finished the 1000 mile breakin I took off the OEM tires and put on a set of Dunlap Q3's. I ride pretty aggressively and wouldn't trust the OEM tires on the track. Got 3000 miles on the first Q3 rear including 1 track day

·
Registered
285 Posts
3100k's all up from the rear, 1000k's running in on street then 2100k's at the track. Because there are 7 rights and only one left turn the right hand side was bald , but still plenty of meat down the centre and LHS. The original front has done 6500ks and 5000 of them at the track. I'ts being replaced with a Dunlop D211 to match the rears i have been using which seem to last about 1100k's before the RHS goes bald.Why Dunlop ? They are they only tyre i can buy at the track and i get a staff discount and free fitting. As i am not racing i find the grip more than adequate, only had a few slight moments on the cold wet days when tyres not properly warm, and hey the traction control seems to sort that out just fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got 3500 mls out of rear , it was squared off to f.
Thats what happens when you use it for more than weekend fun?. Just changed front at 5000mls, didnt realise how badly it was cupped tho. They were crap on theses cold slippy mornings ,hardly warmed up.
Got metz roadtecs z8,s now ,
more grip & mileage .
No brainer, just like me ?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Question:
I see that no one has mentioned what is their OEM tyre that Suzuki fitted.
Mine has Dunlop D214F front and D214 rear. I don't know if the front F is a softness grade or not but I would be surprised if the whole world got the same tyre. All I know is that they are too soft and once again Suzuki are covering their ar*se in fitting overly soft tyres for legal's reasons again.
My bike has 2400 km and looks like perhaps 3600 km to worn at both ends.
My street riding is conservative, but the roads here are like sharks teeth rough rocks embedded on a black glue base. Certainly not asphalt.
It will get Pilot Road 4. I ran P/Road 3's on a GSXR1000 and they were fine on it.

Rob.

·
Registered
72 Posts
D214 and the rear was gone by 2000 miles. Replaced by Avon AV66. I don't like PR 3 or 4 the PR2 is a much better tire, as long that you are in a sunny place ( I'm in California)

I do about 20K miles/year of very fast mountains/canyons roads with a bunch of guys and the PR4 is certainly what most guys run.
On all my bikes I run either PR2 or Avon AV66 at the rear and BT30 in front.\
I usually get around 4 to 5 K miles on the rear and around 7k miles for the front.
I tried a bunch of tires through the years and those tires are what work best for me from a point of view of grip/mileage

·
Registered
355 Posts
Question:
I see that no one has mentioned what is their OEM tyre that Suzuki fitted.
Mine has Dunlop D214F front and D214 rear. I don't know if the front F is a softness grade or not but I would be surprised if the whole world got the same tyre. All I know is that they are too soft and once again Suzuki are covering their ar*se in fitting overly soft tyres for legal's reasons again.
My bike has 2400 km and looks like perhaps 3600 km to worn at both ends.
My street riding is conservative, but the roads here are like sharks teeth rough rocks embedded on a black glue base. Certainly not asphalt.
It will get Pilot Road 4. I ran P/Road 3's on a GSXR1000 and they were fine on it.

Rob.
F just stands for Front :laugh:

Yep, 3700 km and my rear D214 was completely stuffed. You won't go wrong with a PR4 (55 profile for a better turn-in and bigger footprint whilst leaned over). My rear PR lasted ~12,500 km which is quite acceptable and included a track day. Review here:Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Michelin PR 4 tyre review for anoraks . Now on a set of Metzler Roadtec 01's (55 profile rear), simply to compare them with the PR4. Have only done ~1000 km on them so far but the "feel" is similar to the PR4. Haven't had to contend with serious wet weather yet. Looking forward to comparing tyre life.

·
Registered
974 Posts
8500km out of my front tyre, I'm replacing it this week with a PR4 and I could probably get another 500km out of it easily but as I have a longer trip this weekend doing over that distance I'm worried it will wear to the canvas early before the wear marks like the rear tyre did

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
8500km out of my front tyre, I'm replacing it this week with a PR4 and I could probably get another 500km out of it easily but as I have a longer trip this weekend doing over that distance I'm worried it will wear to the canvas early before the wear marks like the rear tyre did
Hey Nicka,
looks like your prior bragging about Blue being the powerful one seems spot on.
To indicate this, your front wheel spends 2 - 3 times with air under the front hoop, than Geoff or my rear wheel did (does) (8500 c/- 3600km).
I am sure Geoff and You can pull wheelies all day every day, but you seem to have the demonstrated proof with that tyre's life.;)

Rob.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey Nicka,
looks like your prior bragging about Blue being the powerful one seems spot on.
To indicate this, your front wheel spends 2 - 3 times with air under the front hoop, than Geoff or my rear wheel did (does) (8500 c/- 3600km).
I am sure Geoff and You can pull wheelies all day every day, but you seem to have the demonstrated proof with that tyre's life.

Rob.
Lol
I wish I could hold it up in the air like a lot of my mates do , I can lift the front and enjoy doing it but only for a short time under power and then I'm happy to see it come back down , they say to practice balancing wheelies on a bmx bike for balance and I know when i do this I usually end up on my a$$ so balancing is out for me with anything with a motor in it lol

The tyre life is probably more from riding like a pu$$y but don't tell anyone :wink:

Reactions: Slower and Slower

·
Registered
336 Posts
My rear is shot at 3,000 miles. Going with the Metzler M7s.

Edit: Took the last ride with the old tires, got back home and I noticed I picked up a nail in the front. Stick a fork in these tires!

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
My rear is shot at 3,000 miles. Going with the Metzler M7s.

Edit: Took the last ride with the old tires, got back home and I noticed I picked up a nail in the front. Stick a fork in these tires!
What a lucky time to pick up a nail. I've only picked up nails in brand new tires... And so far it's been more than a couple...

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
That sucks. Do you plug or just replace?
Replaced them every time. I'm not going to risk a plug on a something I do 100mph+ very frequently. Just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i must be lucky too, got 10 000 km on my rear front still on will probably do 16 000 km. What is it that makes such a difference i dont ride all that slow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i must be lucky too, got 10 000 km on my rear front still on will probably do 16 000 km. What is it that makes such a difference i dont ride all that slow.
luck has nothing to do with tire mileage but everything to do with driving style and roads surface

What wear out a tire is acceleration, braking and the abrasivity of the road surface. Still, my rear was gone at 2000 miles/3200kms and that included breaking the engine in so you must not, at least compared to me, accelerate or brake very hard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Break in mile included i got 2800 miles on mine before they started looking rough. This is not much erratic acceleration or braking. The road surfaces up here in the great white north are not the greatest either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
379 Posts
If I didn't know any better, I'd think that was 90% from burnouts! But at 800 miles on my OEM rear I already had a flat spot and most of my riding is/was in the twisties.

I thought the grip of the stock tire was really bad...until I adjusted the suspension. Once the rebound was set right, the tire seemed to grip fine, and with pretty decent feedback. But the tire center sure does wear fast! I got about 2000 miles on the T30evo and it still looked new.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts