GSXS 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Thump07,as I had 4000 miles on OEMs with plenty to go. I just wanted to go with the new Metzeler Roadtec 01s. Love them. I always check the tire pressures, especially if bikes sat a few days or if going canyon scratching, usually have a couple of fair to good wheelies per tank, and cruise around 6000 rpm when there's no Officer Friendly around, so I didn't think it was all that easy on the tires .:) Ran into this with my last bike. All the locals were getting 3 to 3500 miles on rear and I got 7 to 8000 miles. Only reason I could figure: they were from San Louis Obispo, California (read, lots of great curvy roads), and I live where you ride for an the better part of an hour to reach the "good" roads (lots of interstate travel).

·
Registered
51 Posts
10 300 Km on the OEM for me. Now I have pass 9 000 Km on Road Smart 3 and they are about half way point.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So this bike is eating tires worse than any of my GSXRs did. I used to get 4000+ miles on a rear tire and I have went through the OEM rear and one of my race takes offs and I am only at 3700 miles. I don't know if it is the roads around me just destroy tires or if something on this bike is causing it. FYI this is all riding not one burnout.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So this bike is eating tires worse than any of my GSXRs did. I used to get 4000+ miles on a rear tire and I have went through the OEM rear and one of my race takes offs and I am only at 3700 miles. I don't know if it is the roads around me just destroy tires or if something on this bike is causing it. FYI this is all riding not one burnout.
It's not the bike, it's the OEM tyre. Mine was stuffed at 3700 km. My PR4's and Roadtec 01's (rear) have all lasted for between 10,000 and 12,000 km. Road conditions, how you ride, total bike weight and suspension quality all have a bearing but pure sport tyres and especially the D214's are bound to have a shorter life than sport tourers. I hated the D214's.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
just hit 7000 miles stock rear and still going..will be looking for tires soon..rather change now then next year
Wow, I thought I did good hitting just over 5k on my rear tire before it started showing wires... I put my bike away early October so I could wait until early next season to put a set of PR4's on.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Wow, I thought I did good hitting just over 5k on my rear tire before it started showing wires... I put my bike away early October so I could wait until early next season to put a set of PR4's on.
ended up with 7600 miles could of pushed another 1000...but didnt think that was wise,,wasnt, at wear bar but close

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
theres an old timer you hangs at the coffee shop..he rides a kawasaki 1200 what ever it is,,,,has pilot road 2s.... 18000 miles on them and they look in good shape....he says he checks pressure twice a week ....yes he has time on his hands

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
theres an old timer you hangs at the coffee shop..he rides a kawasaki 1200 what ever it is,,,,has pilot road 2s.... 18000 miles on them and they look in good shape....he says he checks pressure twice a week ....yes he has time on his hands
You can still get the Road 2s from 2wheel. I was seriously considering it ONLY because I like the look of the tread way better than the tread design on the 4s.

·
Registered
327 Posts
5000 kms on them at the moment probably about 80% worn on rear about 70% wear on front. Just ordered my favourite street tyre of all time coming from the US. Michelin 2CT.
Jeffro

·
Registered
26 Posts
Squeezed out 2,300 miles on the rear and it is shot. Replacing both front ad rear with Pirelli Angel GTs this week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok, can’t recommend Q3+ for longevity. Only got about 1500 miles(rear)... However.., I love them lol. I got roadsmart 3 for the rear and kept Q3 + for the front. Odd I know but that front tire is soo effective at ALL speeds I’m going to keep it. No lie, even slow speed maneuvers are greatly improved with Q3+, but can’t afford to spend all that money to burn the rear that fast.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wear the front out faster than the rear, 3000 km and steers like an airport trolley, don't get much more from a rear so change both

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ok, can’t recommend Q3+ for longevity. Only got about 1500 miles(rear)... However.., I love them lol. I got roadsmart 3 for the rear and kept Q3 + for the front. Odd I know but that front tire is soo effective at ALL speeds I’m going to keep it. No lie, even slow speed maneuvers are greatly improved with Q3+, but can’t afford to spend all that money to burn the rear that fast.
Where are you riding that you only get 1500 miles on the Q3+? Are you doing track days? Are you riding on chip-n-tar? I got 2900 miles out of my last set. And why did you switch to a sport-touring tire after shredding a track day tire? I am genuinely confused.

{edit} Maybe you live where the roads are straight and you are WOT everywhere. In which case you should look into Shinko tires as they are a bargain for gun runs.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That’s the price you pay for super sticky.
I’m still loving the Road 5. Plenty of good feel and loads of miles. I wouldn’t want to take them on track but they are a great compromise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Squeezed out 2,300 miles on the rear and it is shot. Replacing both front ad rear with Pirelli Angel GTs this week.
IF you still with us GorgeDad, some feedback would be appreciated on how they have suited the GSX-S ?
When I had the Honda VFR1200F (a heavy bike) Angel GT tyre was as deemed suitable at the time. I went for the Michelin Road 4 ST in the end, and it transformed the handling and especially the comfort on rough tar.
The Angel GT was like VFR down to 1000 cc sport bikes, where the PR4ST was for the VFR towards BMW Tourer/ Police bike weights.

I wonder how the GSX-S would like a tyre that has a stronger sidewall like the PR4ST, or the Angel GT as my OEM Dunlop D214's are wearing down quite well at 4,000 KM now.

Rob.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just changed from OEM to Angel GT after 12000 kms on it. Hate to say, comfort wise OEM was better than GT. Going on uneven tarmac is a body jarring experience now :confused:
Too early to comment on other aspects yet.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts