GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just clocked up 3500ks & I don't think the rear tyre will do another run, so I've ordered Metzler M7. I hope they last a little longer as I was not impressed with the Dunlops. See how we go.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm tempted by Pilot Powers but commonsense says PR4's as I have to ride in all weather conditions. Had both PR3's and 4's on my Street Triple and they are great in the dry and simply outstanding in the wet. It will be interesting to see how they stand up to a track day in February :D

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Just clocked up 3500ks & I don't think the rear tyre will do another run, so I've ordered Metzler M7. I hope they last a little longer as I was not impressed with the Dunlops. See how we go.
I ran the M7 last year on my RC51. Great tyre! Edge grip is superb and feel is really positive in the wet.
To top it all I got better mileage too. You won't be dissapointed :laugh:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with oem tyres.
Im around 2200kms and it's not much left to go.
I seriously don't ride that hard. it's a soft compound.
metzeler m7rr is on my next list.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used a lot of pilot road 3s & found them a good compromise between wear & grip, as we don't have lots of bends in WA. I've just tried the pilot 4 & did an extra 1000ks compared to the 3s, but found the rear very wooden compared to the 3s, so won't use them again. For me the Michelins are the easiest tyre to fit because of their construction, no steel belt in the side wall.
All depends on what you need from the tyre, but there is plenty to choose from

·
Registered
85 Posts
how about this....why did suzuki decide to mount a 190/50 rear? what bike uses that profile anymore? i'll be getting some q3's with 190/55 asap

·
Registered
334 Posts
It really depends on the bike too. I've always used Pilot Roads, and have owned PR2's, PR3's and PR4's. I think they just keep getting better. The 4's wore just as well as the 3's from my perspective, at least on my SV1000. I'll be putting PR4's on as soon as these things wear out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
3500k's thats great . I have not done many k's on the street , about 1000k, and 1500k on the track and they are still good for grip and tread .I will be stoked if i get 3500k's from this tyre . it grips like **** to a blanket ,I don't need tyre warmers and is going to give me good mileage. But yes this is a sport not touring tyre. I love em and run the rear at 25 lbs for the extra heat at the track . Only ever got 3500 out of michelins pilot power on the SV1000, and they didn't have any where near the grip.However they were really good sport/touring tyres when , in a past life I got a chance to go touring.Are there best tyres for any bike, as we all use our bikes differently . The best questions to ask are, what lasts the longest ? or what grips the best , the OEM tyres on the GSXS are a pretty good compromise.But unless we live in japan we won't get a chance to by them again .The same dunlops available here are most likely made in France or Spain and the label will be the same . The tyres will be different .

·
Registered
355 Posts
My OEM rear will be dead in under 4000 km too. Pretty much decided on a PR4 as I ride in all weathers BUT will it be a 50 or 55 section? A mate went to 55 on his Hayabusa and believes that it has improved the roll-in. Will be interested in what anyone else who is converting to a 55 in the near future finds in terms of handling.

·
Registered
76 Posts
has anyone had any experience with q3 sportmax

im looking into tyres and want something i can get km's out of but also sticky enough for some twisties/track on the weekend

so far its down to m7 rr or pr4's but just can across q3

thanks mat

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I can vouch for the M7 RRs.
The harder you ride them the better they get and the edge grip is fantastic. :D Somehow they also do give you more mileage too and with their high silicon content they also are the best tyre I've tried in the wet so far. I'll be changing back over to them when I finish off the OEM one's.
A lot of my mates swear by the Q3s. I haven't tried them myself but I respect their opinions. They are normally cheaper the the M7s so even if they don't give you the mileage you can always offset it against cost.
Tyres are a hugely personal choice. They have to suit your riding style and give you confidence to ride how you want. The number of times I've heard people say their tyre choice is great and then find out they are using some type of touring compound and they get fantastic mileage, well, I just believe they either aren't riding their bike very hard or they are looking for something completely different than I am.
Your riding style (wants) sound pretty similar to mine, I think you will like either tyre. You'll have to pick one and report back (Metzler would be my first choice;)) but I'm not a Dunlop fan as I've always found them great when new but a tad unpredictable when they are half worn:|

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will have to replace my rear M7 now as it looks like another ride would be pushing my luck. It has done 6200ks, all dry road & I never had a moment with it. The front OEM may make another ride, but that is finished after 10000ks. I have a set of M7s so I'll fit them up next week & as the rain is coming I can try them in the wet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts