GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my question is not so much geared at one brand vs the other but Im having a hard time finding the answer explicitly stated on either company's websites.

Neither company list the gsx-s1000 specifically as one of the bikes they have fork cartridge upgrade kits for. However, they both imply that their kits are easily adaptable for most bikes and both companies offer and/or require you send them your forks. Soooo...... Will they upgrade forks you send them if not specifically listed as one they have a kit for? (Its Sunday so there is no one to call at either place.)

With that said (asked?)...Does anyone have any experience with either brand? We all know Ohlins. T. Dynamics has a good rep. I'm mostly weighing the value the AK20 kit from T. Dynamics vs nix 30 (or even nix 22 if they think its applicable) Respectively, they seem to be about $1200 (installed) vs $1800-$2000 installed (I need to verify this price) and about $900-$1000 installed.
This is assuming the answer to my original question is "yes."

Phil Tainton (that austrailian guy) has a GSX-1K build with a nix 30

The nix 30 is my preferred choice but price may be limiting factor for me....I like the design concept of separating rebound and compression dampening and the snob in me likes the brand.
Being realistic, either would be a significant upgrade. Being ultra realistic, just revalving would probably get me where I want to be and is not completely out of the question.

Might as well inject a third question. Anyone heard of Mupo racing? Italian company. They make a drop in cartridge upgrade kit for our bike called the R-revolution. They seem to be a big company in europe but I just dont know them.

Matris also makes a kit for our bike that is drop in. I know Matris gets a good rep but I had one of their drop in kits for one of my previous bikes and though better was not thrilled.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Give them a ring. They'd have to have the adapter kit for your bike for it to work. They also might be waiting to get their hands on a set to develop an adapter kit for the bike. You never know, but calling won't hurt.

I have the AK20's on my FJR. Never used the Ohlins stuff and not really a good comparison bike to bike, but I love my setup on the FJR. I took it to a track day and was dragging hard parts on the second session despite having taken quite a bit of time off from track riding. I've got it paired with a Penske triple clicker in the rear. That's a lot of money spent on suspension for a big piggy bike, but the rear shock was worn out and is "Non rebuildable" so I needed something and when my buddy was selling me his bike and offered a fork swap and to sell me the Penske for $1k I didn't need him to ask me twice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi, I live in Italy and I know these brands. Mupo is a brand of great quality and reliability, I had it in my previous bike. Ohlins we all know her and the Italian retailer is Andreani. However both are producing a kit cartridges for the front forks of our gsx even if ohlins (andreani) does not present them on the official website. Mupo is also very expensive and for the use on the road I advise against it.
In my experience the forks of the gsx s 1000 are not bad but they need some modifications, first of all in the replacement of the oil that sucks and then in the modification of the pack of lamellas. In my case I only changed the extension and compression displacement pumps with those of the Mupo and made some internal modifications. Same for the rear shock absorber, it was opened, changed oil, polished piston, enlarged filling holes and closed by adding a nitrogen refill valve. All this done by a professional in Italy who is also a developer of Mupo products. I hope I was clear and I am attaching some pictures of my work ...

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wow, i wonder if anyone in the states can improve my stock shock? Stock shock spring seems to be in the right range, but the valving is terrible.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the Japanese often save on materials. Oil is the first thing to change. if you have seen the photos you will notice that inside the rear shock the oil had become shaving foam.:laugh:
the fork springs do not need to be changed or the rear spring. I do not know who can do these jobs in your country but calculates that with the work I did the bike completely changes, is much more sustained and follows the asphalt perfectly without giving signs of subsidence but I have to try it well with the heat.
Keep in mind that between the forks and the rear shock I spent a total of 370 euros (450 USD) including modifications, oil, blades and pumping. My suspension trainer is called Gianluca Colatosti and this year or next year will come out on the market with its products.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Give them a ring. They'd have to have the adapter kit for your bike for it to work. They also might be waiting to get their hands on a set to develop an adapter kit for the bike. You never know, but calling won't hurt.

I have the AK20's on my FJR. Never used the Ohlins stuff and not really a good comparison bike to bike, but I love my setup on the FJR. I took it to a track day and was dragging hard parts on the second session despite having taken quite a bit of time off from track riding. I've got it paired with a Penske triple clicker in the rear. That's a lot of money spent on suspension for a big piggy bike, but the rear shock was worn out and is "Non rebuildable" so I needed something and when my buddy was selling me his bike and offered a fork swap and to sell me the Penske for $1k I didn't need him to ask me twice.
I was riding on the Blue Ridge a few years ago with a guy who had a FJR with the same set up as you. I was on my FJ09 and we switched for about a hour.I was very impressed with his set up, for a heavy machine his bike cornered quiet nicely.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I was riding on the Blue Ridge a few years ago with a guy who had a FJR with the same set up as you. I was on my FJ09 and we switched for about a hour.I was very impressed with his set up, for a heavy machine his bike cornered quiet nicely.
My wife has a hit out on the guy that sold me this stuff. See, I had an FZ1 a long while ago. Then I followed an old skilled rider down 123 in Arkansas, him on his FJR. I was wringing my FZ1 for all it's worth to hang with him. Realized, it's not the bike, it's the rider, and the FJR would fit my needs better while still being sporty enough. So I bought one. Then later he sells me his stuff from his bike. That man has caused quite a large deficit in our bank account. :D

It's a great bike, but I've tracked it and even in twisties, it's no sport bike. I finally have the ability to have both, so after trying a few different bikes, I've found the GSX-S1000 is it's perfect companion. Suspension will be on order at some point, probably just go with a rear shock and a revalve on the front though. Not sure I'm good enough of a rider to take full advantage of the AK20's and they are a hefty chunk of change to purchase.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My wife has a hit out on the guy that sold me this stuff. See, I had an FZ1 a long while ago. Then I followed an old skilled rider down 123 in Arkansas, him on his FJR. I was wringing my FZ1 for all it's worth to hang with him. Realized, it's not the bike, it's the rider, and the FJR would fit my needs better while still being sporty enough. So I bought one. Then later he sells me his stuff from his bike. That man has caused quite a large deficit in our bank account. :D

It's a great bike, but I've tracked it and even in twisties, it's no sport bike. I finally have the ability to have both, so after trying a few different bikes, I've found the GSX-S1000 is it's perfect companion. Suspension will be on order at some point, probably just go with a rear shock and a revalve on the front though. Not sure I'm good enough of a rider to take full advantage of the AK20's and they are a hefty chunk of change to purchase.

I will be having SB Suspension in Nashville do the work on my wifes bike. He is building a custom JRI Double Adjustable shock for my wifes bike and revolving the forks and swapping out the springs. All in it should be in the $1700 range. Rr when I was doing track days with STT and he is an awesome tuner. I can not recommend him enough.

Reactions: gixxerjasen

·
Registered
370 Posts

I had a 2001 FZ1 , were you on FZ1OA ? How about those rallys in Fontana did you join in the fun ? I see you went with ask for forgiveness rather than permission ...I like that!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I had a 2001 FZ1 , were you on FZ1OA ? How about those rallys in Fontana did you join in the fun ? I see you went with ask for forgiveness rather than permission ...I like that!
I was, I owned two 2003 models. First was Wraith's old bike, which was killed by an Acura. Second was a bee. I did one rally in Arkansas, missed the Fontana ones. Actually, it was much more than the forgiveness/permission thing. Strategy. My wife had previously had back surgery and we had to put a chunk of that on high interest credit cards. I bought the FJR with much lower interest, and used the sale of the FZ1 to pay off the high interest credit cards. :D

I was sad to let the FZ1 go, and aways swore I'd have another sporty bike in the garage. After trying a few bikes I realized I wanted another FZ1 type of bike. Big motor, hp and naked. GSX-S1000 fills that need very well.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke with T. dynamics. I will be going with the AK20 kit. The cost of the kit vs revalving makes more sense to get the kit. The company gets great reviews and the kit is modular....It can be installed in other applications in the future. The kit is only $1000 but they must do the install. I'm sure ill be happy. I have a Wilburs blue line on the rear now and that thing is superb....the improvement in dampening is dramatic and there is no pogo effect. The only drawback of the rear shock is that it makes the weakness of the the forks more apparent. The oem forks aren't garbage but the Wilburs and the AK20s are on a different level and better matched. Im getting a discount due to being first GSX-s1000 getting them...thats what makes the choice a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sweet, can't wait to hear your review. You doing a ride in appointment? You should, their location is right in the heart of amazing riding and would be a great place to test out your new suspension.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet, can't wait to hear your review. You doing a ride in appointment? You should, their location is right in the heart of amazing riding and would be a great place to test out your new suspension.
i sure wish I could....they are in georgia and im in orlando. I've got a camping trip planned with the kids in the summer and will likely be driving through that area though on the way!

·
Registered
894 Posts
i sure wish I could....they are in georgia and im in orlando. I've got a camping trip planned with the kids in the summer and will likely be driving through that area though on the way!
How to do family vacations.

While everyone is getting up and showering and getting coffee and breakfast, I'm out riding. Come home just in time to do a quick clean up and go do whatever the family is doing. Mostly do it on the big family gatherings and it works well. I've done it for Colorado, Deal's Gap, and North Georgia.

North Georgia has good riding not too far from you, I'm originally from Tampa.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gixxerjasen

thats awesome!! basically my plan. What do you do with your bike during the day? I was thinking about just getting an air BNB with a garage.

·
Registered
894 Posts
We usually grab a cabin out in the middle of nowhere, so I don't worry about it, and carry full coverage insurance. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts