GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed an Ohlins TTX GP rear shock and spring from a 2015 GSX-R1000

Not a straightforward install. I'll list the modifications but not all the details on changing a shock.

I lifted the bike using an engine crane on the rearset pegs.

• Remove the rear subframe, as the shock needs to go in from above
  • The lower side of the left top mount needs grinding back a little (square on the gsxs -rounded on the gsxr
  • The metal support for the battery tray needs cutting back on both sides - no problem as i use a lightweight lithium battery
  • Relocated the tip-over switch to in front of the rear seat catch - it must be in exactly the same orientation as stock
  • The battery box needs cutting back to allow the reservoir to fit
The Ohlins GSX-R shock is 10mm shorter than the standard shock but can be adjusted in length - I left it 10mm shorter as I'm running a 200/55 rear tyre which lifts the rear by 15mm.

It has a 100 Nmm or 10.19 kgmm spring

I've only ridden:) it a little so far and the initial impressions are brilliant - it seems softer giving a plusher ride but the damping seems far more controlled - now to spend a few days dialiing the back in to perfection

The only downside I've noticed - before the front felt great and the back not so good - now the back feels great and the front not so good, but much better overall

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Interesting. I am curious as time goes on what you think with your new setup. Please keep us updated?
I would have thought the front end to match the Ohlins on the rear (to an extent)?
Maybe once your used to it, dial it and balance the bike/suspension your view will differ.
Thanks for sharing
Jeffro

·
Registered
719 Posts
I bet thats why the xz10 shock fits....much more narrow piggyback. The approach I see most people using is sliding the shock up from the bottom. Good work though and awesome pictures...Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
While the overall height of the bike may be close to stock, a shorter shock will change the angle of the swing arm. A taller tire will lift the bike up, but the geometry is still different from the shorter shock. This is likely why the front end feels funny. You're squatting the back end and likely shifting weight off the forks. Nice hardware though, and you can probably adjust the forks enough to dial it in.

·
Registered
328 Posts
well . as dedicated öhlins are available ..........the last idea in my mind is to cut the frame
but it´s not my bike (luckily)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well . as dedicated öhlins are available ..........the last idea in my mind is to cut the frame
but it´s not my bike (luckily)
But no TTX Ohlins available, just the basic single tube Shock for the GSXS.

Frame isn't cut, just the battery support on the subframe. When lunched Suzuki said same frame as GSXR but they round of the shock supports on GSXR and not on GSXS

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks similar to my SU360. I had to grind the left upper tab of the mounting bracket a bit for the top of the shock to slide in. Not sure if that was the case for your TTX. For aggressive riding on the street I'm running 8 clicks out on rebound and 25 clicks out on compression.

The front acting funny is probably due to changes in the fork rake. Since you lowered the back ,you now have a shallower angle at the front, making the bike more stable and steering less responsive. I would try sliding the tubes a few mm up the clamps in order to bring geometry back to specs. Also, keep in mind that the rear linkage is rising rate, which mean that you are now riding at a stiffer point of travel that when the bike was stock.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While the overall height of the bike may be close to stock, a shorter shock will change the angle of the swing arm. A taller tire will lift the bike up, but the geometry is still different from the shorter shock. This is likely why the front end feels funny. You're squatting the back end and likely shifting weight off the forks. Nice hardware though, and you can probably adjust the forks enough to dial it in.
I hadn't thought about that, but yes very true - I've now adjusted my front forks and the bike feels fantastic

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks similar to my SU360. I had to grind the left upper tab of the mounting bracket a bit for the top of the shock to slide in. Not sure if that was the case for your TTX. For aggressive riding on the street I'm running 8 clicks out on rebound and 25 clicks out on compression.

The front acting funny is probably due to changes in the fork rake. Since you lowered the back ,you now have a shallower angle at the front, making the bike more stable and steering less responsive. I would try sliding the tubes a few mm up the clamps in order to bring geometry back to specs. Also, keep in mind that the rear linkage is rising rate, which mean that you are now riding at a stiffer point of travel that when the bike was stock.
My shock is the same as yours GSX-R1000 2009-20015 TTX GP is known as SU 360.

I had to grind mine exactly the same as yours, I'm running a slightly harder spring and a little more compression and rebound then you, but I am between 200 and 220 lbs

I lowered the front forks 3mm and it feels great now

·
Registered
328 Posts
But no TTX Ohlins available, just the basic single tube Shock for the GSXS.

Frame isn't cut, just the battery support on the subframe. When lunched Suzuki said same frame as GSXR but they round of the shock supports on GSXR and not on GSXS
who say that?
öhlins SU 102 PFP it´s available since january
and ttx available from : hpc racing

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah I know a few people like that whose life is paralysed by fears of all kind. One must learn how to overcome them to live free :D
Yep really paralysed by fears :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
who say that?
öhlins SU 102 PFP it´s available since january
and ttx available from : hpc racing
The SU 102 PFP looks good but I wanted the twin tube GP shock.

And the TTX from Hpc racing - I'm confused about Ohlins, are Ohlins retailers/service centres allowed to produce their own "Ohlins" shocks as this one doesn't appear on any Ohlins list?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Those are little series from öhlins like the front fork for the VFR1200F

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys... new to the page, and the gsxs owners club! 😃 looking at installing a ttx gp su 360 to the rear of mine but little overwhelmed. Seen one going cheap on eBay and hard to come by here (in NZ)... Will the front be ok standard, will I need to be aware/ prepared to change anything else to accommodate? I’m a car mechanic so the fitting should be a problem. Any pictures on what needs grinding down to make it fit exactly? Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply Paul, I have read your thread already which gave me the idea! Thanks. What’s the main disadvantage I would have from it being 10mm Lower at full extension?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi guys... new to the page, and the gsxs owners club! 😃 looking at installing a ttx gp su 360 to the rear of mine but little overwhelmed. Seen one going cheap on eBay and hard to come by here (in NZ)... Will the front be ok standard, will I need to be aware/ prepared to change anything else to accommodate? I’m a car mechanic so the fitting should be a problem. Any pictures on what needs grinding down to make it fit exactly? Cheers.
as per others comments, front seems acceptable before improving rear shock, i fitted a nitron r2 shock built to suit my weight, then i realised the forks small bump compliance and sharp bump performance could do with improving, ive ended up fitting hyperpro fork springs and more importantly k-tech's gsx-s fork cartridges, these are a real improvement, plus running reduced oil level to allow quicker oil transfer thru cartridge, ive also just got their comp adjusters which allow proper refined adjustment of that circuit. have fun

1 - 20 of 24 Posts