GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing the rear shock with an ohlins . Ohlins at the minute are not listing one . I have one on my old k1 gsxr1000 and may see if it fits , it needs to be around 325 to 329mm in length for it to fit .
Does anyone know the gsxs shock length before I start messing ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you find out will you please let us know? In a world full of information technology it sure is hard to obtain information!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have also emailed ohlins and have been told there is nothing available currenty . However , Nitron responded with

SUZUKI GSX-S 1000 F (15-)

NTR R1 M-14/40-GS-D1-L
NTBKY 54S
£328.00 + VAT

NTR R1 + HPA M-14/40-GS-D1-L-HP1
NTBKY 54SH
£486.00

NTR R2 M-14/40-H-GS-D2-L
NTBKY 54T
£466.00

NTR R2 + HPA M-14/40-H-GS-D2-L-HP1
NTBKY 54TH
£632.00

NTR R3 M-14/40-H-GS-D3-L
NTBKY 54R
£536.00

NTR R3 + HPA M-14/40-H-GS-D3-L-HP1
NTBKY 54RH
£694.00
All plus vat ....

I could be persuaded they have a good reputation and set them up to your weight and riding style ...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have looked into possible shock change , ohlins has nothing at the min nitron as above , however the adjustable preload will currently only fit if you take off your pillion foot pegs and atach it to the subframe...
The main problem with a piggy back shock is that it won't fit because it catchest on the rear subframe. Maxton don't have anything and from what info I have so far would be the best bet as they offer to have a shock with comp rebound and preload out soon set to your weight and riding style .

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI, yes they do , if you look at the bottom of the pic it states it may differ from the photo. At the min that type of piggy back shock won't fit due to the subframe being in the way. Ohlins can side mount them pointing down , this may fit. I guess the other manufactures will do that too at some stage. Think I'll wait .... been playing with the standard shock today with fair results .....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thank you , it certainly looks interesting !? I don't know how your finding em !
On my iPad app I change the country code and do a search on GSX-S 1000 and al variants on the spelling ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
This is what i got today

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Öhlins products.

At the moment we do not have products for this model. We plan to build a rear shock and front fork kit but it won’t be ready for a while. Please check with your nearest Öhlins Dealer and have them inform you when it becomes available.

For more information please contact an Öhlins Distributor in your area. You can find them HERE or by going to: Öhlins Distributors - Öhlins Racing

Kind Regards,
Öhlins Racing AB

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a brand new gsxr 1000 2012 rear shock hoping it would fit but it won't be cause of the piggie back chamber I've noticed it bounces a lot out of corners if bumpy roads defo a cheap shock fitted to rear

·
Registered
330 Posts
HI, yes they do , if you look at the bottom of the pic it states it may differ from the photo. At the min that type of piggy back shock won't fit due to the subframe being in the way. Ohlins can side mount them pointing down , this may fit. I guess the other manufactures will do that too at some stage. Think I'll wait .... been playing with the standard shock today with fair results .....
this is the right one

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have also emailed ohlins and have been told there is nothing available currenty . However , Nitron responded with

SUZUKI GSX-S 1000 F (15-)

I could be persuaded they have a good reputation and set them up to your weight and riding style ...
I fitted a Nitron shock to my Street Triple which had been sprung and valved to my weight and was really impressed with the quality and performance. Had a Penske on my Blackbird which was outstanding but slightly more expensive and a higher spec than the Nitron. The Penske was part of a group buy through the US Blackbird forum. Maybe the GSX-S forum could do the same?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I fitted a Nitron shock to my Street Triple which had been sprung and valved to my weight and was really impressed with the quality and performance. Had a Penske on my Blackbird which was outstanding but slightly more expensive and a higher spec than the Nitron. The Penske was part of a group buy through the US Blackbird forum. Maybe the GSX-S forum could do the same?
Hi Geoff, I wrote this a while ago, I have now fitted a nitron sport shock. The difference is amazing . Incredibly comfortable , no skipping over bumps and holds an excellent line . Traction control seems to not be coming on as much making me think it works so much better for only the cost of an exhast which seem a waste of money.
I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Geoff, I wrote this a while ago, I have now fitted a nitron sport shock. The difference is amazing . Incredibly comfortable , no skipping over bumps and holds an excellent line . Traction control seems to not be coming on as much making me think it works so much better for only the cost of an exhast which seem a waste of money.
Terrific and congratulations. Interesting that you should mention the traction control as I'd noticed that, even setting up the standard suspension properly.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. From past experience, I'd choose a suspension upgrade before any other "bling" in pursuit of performance. Also, although the Suzuki is lighter than the Blackbird, I averaged nearly 2000 km longer from my tyres with a full suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That sounds nice! I'm riding round Tasmania at the moment and have been kicked off the seat on a few of the less forgiving bumps. Not enough to make my feet leave the pegs but enough that I dug my knees in to hold me down rather than just enough to hold the bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fitted the Nitron this week, the quality is excellent and the improvement to the bike is exactly what I was looking for. I went for the version with the remote reservoir and that mounts neatly under the rear light/number plate bracket (I have an R&G tail tidy fitted and it sits nicely behind that) on the mounting plate that is supplied.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fitted the Nitron this week, the quality is excellent and the improvement to the bike is exactly what I was looking for. I went for the version with the remote reservoir and that mounts neatly under the rear light/number plate bracket (I have an R&G tail tidy fitted and it sits nicely behind that) on the mounting plate that is supplied.
Brilliant mate.... the Nitron shock is next on my list ...
Can you give us a little more feedback on its performance.
Some photos Steve would be appreciated too.
Let us know how its behaving...

cheers Martin.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Brilliant mate.... the Nitron shock is next on my list ...
Can you give us a little more feedback on its performance.
Some photos Steve would be appreciated too.
Let us know how its behaving...

cheers Martin.
Hi Martin, I've tried to attach a photo - no idea if it's worked until after I submit this reply though. In summary the shock is excellent quality, it comes with a special tool to adjust the preload with too. I recommend putting some silicon lubricant onto the threads first (before installing the shock) to make it easier to adjust.
Installation was ok to do, I used an Abba stand to support the bike and this enabled the swing arm to be moved easily once the shock was unbolted and this aided the removal of the unit by dropping it downwards. I managed to do so without dropping the exhaust - but it's a tight fit. Actually installing the new Nitron was quicker to do than removing the original.
I had the suspension set up for me by Dave Moss who is in NZ at the moment, after a couple of runs he got things nicely balanced.
The bike now handles as it should - holds a tight line through the bends, it has a real quality feel to it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts