GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading my manual and it says to remove the instrument cluster and farings to do an oil change!! Are you serious Suzuki?! I was going to change my oil at 100, 600, and 1000 miles for break in but screw that if I need to take it to a dealer to remove the whole plastic front end. I will just do the 600 mile change like the manual says at the dealer I guess. I just can't believe that an oil change could be so difficult. Has anyone cheated this and left the fairings on?

·
Registered
204 Posts
From what i found the fairing seems to be removed top down it splits at the bottom but to detach the top part so it can be removed you have to strip from the top down. I don't however see a need to go as far as the whole instrument cluster ??. I have infact removed all of the front as i upgraded the lights and had to remove everything to get the light cluster off.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wow that's a lot of work to change the oil.
Just the 4 hex bolts on the naked and that's only because I'm ultra cautious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
An oil change at 100 miles is not good. Don't they put special oil in a new bike to help with the break in process? if you replace it with regular oil too soon it'll actually worsen it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am just happy that due to the fact i used to work as a motorcycle mechanic and that i will own this bike for a long time. I will be doing my own services (my local shop is really bad and its 4 hours drive to the next main dealer) Last time i took one of my bikes to my local suzuki dealer it was for a regulator swap under a recall. I placed a dot of white paint on the old one and when i got it back the white dot was still there !!! second attempt they replaced it with another one that was covered under the recall (prob another dangerous one taken off another customers bike) I can only assume they wanted it to brake so they could charge me for the part they got free from suzuki

·
Registered
80 Posts
As the man says to replace oil only just undo the drain plug on the sump To replace filter remove the black left hand fairing as per the owners manual, then the large left hand leg fairing, & the filter is behind the header pipes. Good luck

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally went after this oil change and managed to get the filter out and a new one in without removing anything. I just used a removal tool on the end of 3/8" ratchet with extension to loosen the filter and there is enough space on the left side lower fairing to get the filter past the header. The drain plug is right out in the open. I don't know what the **** Suzuki was thinking but it is not near as involved as the manual states.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I finally went after this oil change and managed to get the filter out and a new one in without removing anything. I just used a removal tool on the end of 3/8" ratchet with extension to loosen the filter and there is enough space on the left side lower fairing to get the filter past the header. The drain plug is right out in the open. I don't know what the **** Suzuki was thinking but it is not near as involved as the manual states.
That is great to hear. I was staring at one today, down on all fours thinking the same thing, that one could get that filter off while leaving the fairing intact. Glad to know that it is indeed possible.... Now all I have to do is get off the fence and buy the **** thing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When you are reaching up in there with limited visibility, it's a good idea to examine the old filter to be sure that the gasket came out with it. Because if it didn't, and you install the new filter over it, you will get a massive oil leak.

Don't ask me how I know!

·
Registered
860 Posts
When you are reaching up in there with limited visibility, it's a good idea to examine the old filter to be sure that the gasket came out with it. Because if it didn't, and you install the new filter over it, you will get a massive oil leak.

Don't ask me how I know!
Oh no! I won't ask, lol, but I can just imagine the mess it makes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts