GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approaching the 600 mile mark, and planning on performing the first oil change. Suzuki recommends buying a Suzuki brand oil filter (surprise). I normally wouldn’t blink an eye at buying an aftermarket oil filter, but I read some concerning complaints in other forums on the topic. Can anyone chime in with successes/failures of an aftermarket oil filter? Lastly, oil brand/type recommendation (I understand this is as opinionated as asking someone for a beer brand/type recommendation)?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'd go with the Suzuki ECSTAR R7000 Oil Change Kit:

https://www.motosport.com/suzuki-ecstar-r7000-semisynthetic-oil-change-kit

For the first oil change I'd recommend semi-synth oil, then go with full synth after that.

Some may argue that there are possibly marginally better oils than ECSTAR (define "better"?), but my presumption is that Suzuki has done sufficient research on ECSTAR that they're willing to put their name behind it. I'm good with that.

If you insist on an aftermarket filter, I'd go with the Hiflofiltro HF138. The racing version (I think the only difference is the quick-spin hex head on top) is the HF138RC.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Oem filter is proven and true, I’d not worry using oem, think of all the Suzuki’s out there. For oil I use oem til 2k, at that point I switch over to amsoil. Then I do 5k mile changes filter+oil. Never had an issue on any bike I’ve owned.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
all the top name oils will work mineral or syn....twice a year ...every 3500 mile....filter once a year or 8000 because in lazy ..plus thats what suzuki says to do so who are you to tell me or suzuki where wrong.......dingbat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts