GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reporting that I reached to the first 600 miles service on my bike and I replaced the oil and Suzuki OEM oil filter.
Below I posted some pictures so you can see the lacerations on the filter which was not that easy to remove.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just reporting that I reached to the first 600 miles service on my bike and I replaced the oil and Suzuki OEM oil filter.
Below I posted some pictures so you can see the lacerations on the filter which was not that easy to remove.

I tried an adjustable 3 jaw oil filter wrench. It sucked. Returned it for oil filter pliers which made the job easy.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I butchered my OEM on the first removal too. I thought I was going to have to take it to the shop it was so stuck.
I finally got it off, and now I only use HiFloFiltro 138RC
I'm personally a little leary of K & N after reading about problems once they switched away from using HiFloFiltro as their supplier.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Fixed the link to the right filter.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried an adjustable 3 jaw oil filter wrench. It sucked. Returned it for oil filter pliers which made the job easy.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
I used this one (below this text) but did not do nothing, completely useless.

Then I used this one (below this text)that I use just when the filter is really hard to remove, but I destroyed it by the enormous force the I had to do, see how it bent?

This was my second attempt to removing the filter and with luck I successfully removed it.😁
Now my 3rd attempt and always have worked on removing hard to remove filters is using this beautiful tool below:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The K & N filter has a nut extrusion on the bottom and is an easier removal
That nut would have broken off like a piece of candy in my case because this oil filter was like welded into the oil filter mouth. Next oil change I may be able to remove it just with my hand. There is no need to tight this filter so hard.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I butchered my OEM on the first removal too. I thought I was going to have to take it to the shop it was so stuck.
I guess that's why many people take their bike or car to the dealer the first time because it is very hard to remove the oil filter or the oil drain plug. I never take my cars or bikes to the dealer, I service them myself for 1000 years already.
I already mastered this hard to remove

I finally got it off, and now I only use HiFloFiltro 138RC
I'm personally a little leary of K & N after reading about problems once they switched away from using HiFloFiltro as their supplier.
I always use the OEM oil & air filters. Once you do it the first time, the subsequent times is very easy. The oil filters will never get stuck again as we take good care of the installation. Always clean the engine oil filter mouth with a rag, oil the oil filter gasket and tie it by hand (never with a tool), make sure it does not leak and you are set for the next oil change.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I guess that's why many people take their bike or car to the dealer the first time because it is very hard to remove the oil filter or the oil drain plug. I never take my cars or bikes to the dealer, I service them myself for 1000 years already.

I always use the OEM oil & air filters. Once you do it the first time, the subsequent times is very easy. The oil filters will never get stuck again as we take good care of the installation. Always clean the engine oil filter mouth with a rag, oil the oil filter gasket and tie it by hand (never with a tool), make sure it does not leak and you are set for the next oil change.
I agree. That's why I always do my own changes. With the F, the nut on the end makes it sooo much easier and that's why I use the HiFlo 138RC. Just a socket extension and, voila, you can reach in from the side and grab the filter out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can use one of these also:

These chain pipe wrenches will grab and loose anything 😁

·
Registered
256 Posts
The OEM Suzuki filter socket is the way to go if you stick with OEM filters. Works with an extension too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use a filter tool but my last service by the dealers was done in June and I swapped the oil about a month ago as I like them fresh after the winter. Both the filter and sump nut were over tightened from the respective 20 and 23nm. The filter tool struggled and I ended up using a bar levered against the downpipes to keep it on the filter and slowly managed to get it undone.

That's the last time they get to work on my bike.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use a filter tool but my last service by the dealers was done in June and I swapped the oil about a month ago as I like them fresh after the winter. Both the filter and sump nut were over tightened from the respective 20 and 23nm. The filter tool struggled and I ended up using a bar levered against the downpipes to keep it on the filter and slowly managed to get it undone.

That's the last time they get to work on my bike.
Exactly, no one touches my bike. I'll do the service.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I had the same problem with my CB 1100, the factory calls for oil filter torque way too high. I used big channel locks to remove, and tightened the new one by hand, about one turn for GSX, the factory says two turns, that's crazy. Never any leaks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess from the dealer's perspective, they would rather over tighten your filter and make it harder for you to remove it next time, than risk having it leak and then you blaming them for the leak.

I used to tighten by hand and had a small leak once. Now I always tighten by hand then use a tool to give it another quarter turn. That's still loose enough that you should have no problems loosening it next time. I never had problems loosening it since I started doing this, either on my bike or my car. If it's so tight that it's giving you problems, then the guy must have really went nuts and way overtightened it, and probably didn't apply oil to the seal.

I did have the nut break off a k&n filter once when it was really tight. I posted a picture of that on this forum a few years ago. That nut works fine if the filter isn't tightened ridiculously hard. The suzuki oem filter removal tool also didn't work, it kept slipping. I finally managed to remove the filter using this tool: FRAM FW401 Oil Filter Pliers, 2-1/2" to 4-1/4": Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm going to change the oil/filter on my GSXS next week (waiting on the oil to deliver). When I bought my CBR500R it hadn't had its first service and I had to puncture the oil filter to get enough leverage to remove it. I'm guessing it's a common practice at the manufacturers. They must put them on with an impact gun or something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts