GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GSX-S1000
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had one of the K&N 138 oil filters on my bike for coming up on 7k miles. (Installed at 11k, bike has 17.9k). I've got an oil change coming up. The service manual only goes up to 14.5k miles, but I'm guessing the oil filter is meant to be changed every other service beyond the 11k one. Anyway, starting about 400 miles ago, my bike developed an oil leak which seems to be around the oil filter. I've tightened the filter several times, and it's now in that "this makes me uncomfortable how tight this is" range.

My questions to you are:

Have any of you guys had an issue with a small oil leak around the filter (like a drop or two on the ground after each ride)?

Am I correct that the oil filter should be changed at every other service after 11k miles?

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,140 Posts
I recollect hearing that some K&N's had a leak where the nut was welded on.
Service schedule.
Font Material property Parallel Pattern Rectangle

·
Registered
2016 GSX-S1000
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did some googling and yeah apparently K&N motorcycle filters cause lots of bikes to leak. I ordered what claims to be an OEM one from Amazon. Hopefully it actually is.

That is the Europe/Oceana or whatever service schedule. I'm in the US.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had one of the K&N 138 oil filters on my bike for coming up on 7k miles. (Installed at 11k, bike has 17.9k). I've got an oil change coming up. The service manual only goes up to 14.5k miles, but I'm guessing the oil filter is meant to be changed every other service beyond the 11k one. Anyway, starting about 400 miles ago, my bike developed an oil leak which seems to be around the oil filter. I've tightened the filter several times, and it's now in that "this makes me uncomfortable how tight this is" range.

My questions to you are:

Have any of you guys had an issue with a small oil leak around the filter (like a drop or two on the ground after each ride)?

Am I correct that the oil filter should be changed at every other service after 11k miles?
Drain oil out. Replace filter.

·
Registered
2016 GSX-S1000
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol I mean I'm going to do that, I just wondered WHY it's leaking and if anyone else had had that problem.

·
Banned
156 Posts

My questions to you are:

dude just change the oil at 3 thousand miles if you want to keep your bike for the long run..

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki GSX-S1000FZ ABS
155 Posts
dekker said

View attachment 46519

yep you would think hey what does the book say -- i would never go over 5 thousand miles on and oil change
7,500 miles between oil changes and filter every other oil change, Suzuki must have a ton of faith in their product!! Don't know if I'd trust the oil for that long, that's crazy?!
Here on USA models, I was worried about changing oil at 4,500 miles, and filter every third oil change! Like some on here have said, think I'll let the oil tell me when to change it.

My trucks and cars, now that's a different story. I'll go 6,000 miles, and filter every 2nd oil change. And once again, I'll let the oil tell me when, if needed sooner.

Reactions: Sixstring123#

·
Banned
156 Posts
dekker said

View attachment 46519

7,500 miles between oil changes and filter every other oil change, Suzuki must have a ton of faith in their product!! Don't know if I'd trust the oil for that long, that's crazy?!
Here on USA models, I was worried about changing oil at 4,500 miles, and filter every third oil change! Like some on here have said, think I'll let the oil tell me when to change it.

My trucks and cars, now that's a different story. I'll go 6,000 miles, and filter every 2nd oil change. And once again, I'll let the oil tell me when, if needed sooner.
remember they sell motorcycles so if it wears out a year after you pay it off mission accomplished..
cars i run purple or mobil never go over 5k

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,140 Posts
Just for interest, schedule for 2021 model.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Monochrome

·
Registered
2016 GSX-S1000
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dude just change the oil at 3 thousand miles if you want to keep your bike for the long run..
I change the oil every 3500 miles like the manual says. The manual doesn't say what the service intervals are beyond 14500 miles, which my bike is past. I know you have to change the oil every 3500 miles, but was asking about the filter not the oil. I'm guessing it means for you to change it every other oil change. I don't understand why they have such a tiny service list. My Mercedes cars' maintenance schedule goes out to almost 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
2016 GSX-S1000
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...have you tried tightening it a bit.....preferably by hand.
Not trying to be a jerk, but literally in the first post of this thread I said "I've tightened the filter several times, and it's now in that "this makes me uncomfortable how tight this is" range "

·
Registered
2016 GSX-S1000
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the OEM Suzuki oil filter and the oil filter wrench on order. Should be here this weekend. The bike went over to 18,000 miles yesterday so it's due for an oil change anyways. Hopefully there won't be any leaking with the OEM filter. It was nice being able to buy the K&N filters locally but if the OEM one I ordered fits properly i'll just order 5 or so more of them to keep on the shelf with my extra oil.

Reactions: Sixstring123#

·
Banned
156 Posts
I have the OEM Suzuki oil filter and the oil filter wrench on order. Should be here this weekend. The bike went over to 18,000 miles yesterday so it's due for an oil change anyways. Hopefully there won't be any leaking with the OEM filter. It was nice being able to buy the K&N filters locally but if the OEM one I ordered fits properly i'll just order 5 or so more of them to keep on the shelf with my extra oil.
no worries you will be fine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts