GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just a number of things I have noted with my experience; the Hiflow Filtro HF138 is an aftermarket cartridge filter that I used on my bikes when road racing as well as the Suzuki and the better half's RSV4 (that motor is a nuclear reactor). I'm not wanting to freak anyone out about K&N but I had been told by valid sources that there was an apparent quality control issue at some time with them. That was a few years ago. If not for Hiflow, would I go with a factory filter? Absolutely.
As for tightening, the manual recommends against hand tightening and describes tightening it a certain amount of rotations after the gasket contacts the case. Why do they recommend against it? Speculation tells me that they're afraid that it might spin off which has happened to aquaintances on the street. I have something I do for that. I place a hose clamp around the filter, run safety wire through the worm gear assembly and attach the wire to a bracket that is in the area over the filter and behind the pipes. I place the worm gear in a position in which if the filter decides to try to come loose, the wire prevents it from spinning. I'm sure there's even a torque setting out there somewhere but there isn't enough room to get my torque wrench in between the filter and pipes anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had one of the K&N 138 oil filters on my bike for coming up on 7k miles. (Installed at 11k, bike has 17.9k). I've got an oil change coming up. The service manual only goes up to 14.5k miles, but I'm guessing the oil filter is meant to be changed every other service beyond the 11k one. Anyway, starting about 400 miles ago, my bike developed an oil leak which seems to be around the oil filter. I've tightened the filter several times, and it's now in that "this makes me uncomfortable how tight this is" range.

My questions to you are:

Have any of you guys had an issue with a small oil leak around the filter (like a drop or two on the ground after each ride)?

Am I correct that the oil filter should be changed at every other service after 11k miles?
No you shouldn't leak any. I have stupid question but did you inspect oil 🛢 ring around filter? I've also had a guy pull his filter off and leave his oil oil ring stuck on bike by the grace of God it didn't blow out it weeped but he was extremely lucky as usually it will blow out between old and new gasket.i was amazed it didn't twist at seating but accidents happen when you rush and it's getting dark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a number of things I have noted with my experience; the Hiflow Filtro HF138 is an aftermarket cartridge filter that I used on my bikes when road racing as well as the Suzuki and the better half's RSV4 (that motor is a nuclear reactor). I'm not wanting to freak anyone out about K&N but I had been told by valid sources that there was an apparent quality control issue at some time with them. That was a few years ago. If not for Hiflow, would I go with a factory filter? Absolutely.
As for tightening, the manual recommends against hand tightening and describes tightening it a certain amount of rotations after the gasket contacts the case. Why do they recommend against it? Speculation tells me that they're afraid that it might spin off which has happened to aquaintances on the street. I have something I do for that. I place a hose clamp around the filter, run safety wire through the worm gear assembly and attach the wire to a bracket that is in the area over the filter and behind the pipes. I place the worm gear in a position in which if the filter decides to try to come loose, the wire prevents it from spinning. I'm sure there's even a torque setting out there somewhere but there isn't enough room to get my torque wrench in between the filter and pipes anyway.
You are absolutely right I work at dealership and the oil filters get torqued after hand tighting or locking we call it for seepage from expansion and also loosening and spinning off from expansion and high torque and heat at high rpm vibration will loosen and move filters!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts