GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I may have posted this question already, sorry if so, but i need to know if anyone else has an oil leak near the oil filter or base plate ? i'm leaking there and hope its just a filter

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hey I may have posted this question already, sorry if so, but i need to know if anyone else has an oil leak near the oil filter or base plate ? i'm leaking there and hope its just a filter
Nope all ok here... Have you recently changed your filter....?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope all ok here... Have you recently changed your filter....?
actually the last time I changed my oil and filter i used a wix, never have used that brand before, so tonight I put a K&N on it to see if its the filter

·
Registered
72 Posts
actually the last time I changed my oil and filter i used a wix, never have used that brand before, so tonight I put a K&N on it to see if its the filter
Wix is a very good brand.
Can't be too hard to diagnostic the reason for the leak, it's either the cooler or the filter O-ring

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also might be helpful to get some pics. How much oil is leaking? Is is a few drops on the garage floor after riding or a small puddle? How are you putting the filter on? Are you torquing the filter to spec or hand tightening? Are you putting a thin coat of oil on the filter o-ring before installing the filter? Are you cleaning any residue left from the previous filter? These are largely rhetorical questions that you need to go through in your head to make sure you are putting the filter on correctly to prevent leakage.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Whatever filter you are using, use the tightening instructions included with it rather than the instructions in the Suzuki manuals. Those are for OEM filters (I believe) with O-ring gaskets and that spec (two turns after gasket contacts the base) is too tight for the flat gaskets on many aftermarket filters.

Reactions: tonyt

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey thanks for the input guys, I changed the filter, leak gone! I put the wix filter on back in October but didn't ride much, then when the bike came home from having the pipe and other mods put on, it leaked. I'm not sure if the guy who did the mods banged it around and fractured the seam or what the heck happened. I'm in the auto repair business and use wix quite often without incident, yet this is the first and last time I will use them on my bike. I've used K&N exclusively since 2002 when I bought my first liter bike and I won't stray again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts