GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else seeing this yet? Noticed it today, just about 8,000 miles on the clock.

On the attached diagram I'm thinking either 17 or 18...

Anyone else care to chime in?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
AJ, don't understand your question , you are saying that oil is leaking from your starter assembly? No oil there, nor can oil leaking be seen in the first pic,
and in the 2nd diagram pic don't see a "17 or 18".

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See where the starter clutch mounts to starter where it's super shiny? Fresh oil. It's slinging all over and in the diagram, 17 and 18 are in the middle on the left side.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
That's the key "it's slinging all over" Possibly coming from somewhere else? if it was the #18 gasket in the diagram you would see it seeping there I would think. Need to clean it all up and keep an eye to see if that is truly where the oil is coming from. But to answer your question, I have never seen an oil leak from the starter before.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's confirmed leaking from between the starter clutch and starter. I have cleaned it multiple times and found the build-up of oil there. It's slinging backwards because of air pushing it backwards when riding.

Where the red arrows are pointing. That seal there.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
pull your str mtr out ( 2 bolts ) it has a o-ring seal , it could also be a cracked housing of the str clutch assembly, to remove the str housing involves two gaskets, ive seen posts on gsxr forum saying these can crack / leak

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, I'll have to investigate. Been trying to sell it for the last few months and didn't want someone else to inherit my problem.

If I pull the cover, housing, and starter out, do you know if there's anything spring loaded or something really difficult to put back together?

I have the shop manual but I really can't be bothered to spend the time to look it up as I've been super busy lately. Hopefully it's something I can do in an hour or so otherwise I'll likely either wait until it gets worse or just trade in to a dealer.

·
Registered
248 Posts
with luck even the gaskets will seporate without tearing, the str clutch gears are mted on small shafts that have washers/ spring wave washers, try not to drop them into crankcase, otherwise simple proceedure

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I too have had this leak but it is very slight. I probably noticed it about a year ago but had forgotten about it. Just checked, and there is a hint of oiliness still, but its drier than I remember previously, never been enough to form a drip. I am at 32500 miles.

Reactions: LEAVEITSTOCK

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@dekker- mine just gets aerosol-ed all over the frame. After a couple hour ride, maybe a drop or two flung backwards. I'm not worried about it, but it does build up. It will probably plug itself eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone else seeing this yet? Noticed it today, just about 8,000 miles on the clock.

On the attached diagram I'm thinking either 17 or 18...

Anyone else care to chime in?
Did you ever resolve this...you were going to attempt a seal change. If so how did it turn out and what do we need to do?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Did you ever resolve this...you were going to attempt a seal change. If so how did it turn out and what do we need to do?
Hi Antman,
Our Moderator C AJ, 4 months ago said in the earlier post here he was trying to sell his bike and hasn't been active for a while, so perhaps you will not get a reply from him.
Good luck anyway, the fix will be new gaskets/O rings as that's the way forward with most leaks.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Following up on my previous post (#9) I am now at approximately 36,000mls and have not seen any leakage, just a slightly moist appearance at the joint.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Once in a while taking a peak at this (forum) site compels me to say hello.

2016 (F), at 91K miles (primary commute/mobile office. would be past 100 k miles if not using other bikes) no issues (still enjoy the snatchy throttle), NO LEAKS any where.

What a fantastic bike, great Suzuki reliability.

Perhaps a 100K miles review later.

Best Regards

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Once in a while taking a peak at this (forum) site compels me to say hello.

2016 (F), at 91K miles (primary commute/mobile office. would be past 100 k miles if not using other bikes) no issues (still enjoy the snatchy throttle), NO LEAKS any where.

What a fantastic bike, great Suzuki reliability.

Perhaps a 100K miles review later.

Best Regards
Great to hear from you again mcm! Yes, this bike is fantastic. I hate hearing about problems like the OP has, but they are definitely rare. There's less bitching about the bike on this forum that most I've been on.

BTW, stop by more often! ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nothing human made is perfect. Never will be. Even the best shows a few issues here and there...and these things are mass produced at very high speed, not hand made. They also have to rely on the supplier components quality to make the whole.

Glad we can afford this performance and reliability at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
91K. That’s pretty good and good to know she’s still going strong.
A 100k review would be fantastic if you have the time. I’d love to know how many tires, pads, chains and the like you’ve got through and when.
Soz, I’m a bit of a geek that way
BTW, is it all commuting or are there some trips to add into the mix too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts