GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody happen to know what the conditions are needed to trigger the oil pressure light to come on?

·
Registered
341 Posts
See owner's manual, pag. 24
Go first and check the oil level.

"Riding the motorcycle with the oil pressure indicator light lit can damage the engine and transmission.If the oil pressure indicator light comes on, indicating low oil pressure, stop the engine immediately.Check the oil level and add oil if necessary. If there is a proper amount of oil and the light still does not go out, have your authorized Suzuki dealer or a qualified mechanic inspect your motorcycle".

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. I was looking for specifics. Due to stupidity I was running 3/4 quart low. Was wondering how low it would have to get before it was considered dangerous and throw a light.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added 3/4 quart to get it back up to the top fill line. I think that high fill to low fill line is like 1/2 quart so I was a little under the low line. Red light and little oil can never came on. I just babied it home and then topped it off once it cooled off. Cleaned up the mess this morning with dish soap.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If the oil light has come on that means the pump has run dry which means at some point there has been no oil going to the various journals in the engine. Not good, when they say you should stop the engine immediately you really should!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I added 3/4 quart to get it back up to the top fill line. I think that high fill to low fill line is like 1/2 quart so I was a little under the low line. Red light and little oil can never came on. I just babied it home and then topped it off once it cooled off. Cleaned up the mess this morning with dish soap.
Hopefully you will be fine. Meny moons ago I had an old bike which had a bit of a valve issue and used a little oil. One day I was out on a run and not until I went up a steep hill did the light come on. I stopped immediately, turned around and coasted back down to the flat where I checked the oil. I couldn't even see it!
I was in the middle of nowhere so I had no choice, i turned the engine back on and luckily it started and the oil light went out. I ran off to the nearest garage and got it topped up. I guess the level was low enough that when I went up the steep hill there wasn't enough in the sump to keep the pump up to pressure.
Why was your oil low? Have you done a recent oil change? or is it burning some with use?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi All, I think we all would like the background to this one as oil lights are a serious event.
Any chance your bike has been on short trips and on one long hot trip the dissolved petrol in the sump evaporated out, being re burnt in the motor and low oil then in the sump?
With the TPS issue resulting in higher fuel use and only 2 rings used on pistons today, it may be a reason as good as any for artificially holding the oil at a reasonable working level.
I had a Yam XJR1200 once that shares a design fault with the FJ1200 in that the oil sensor was flat paddle and if the oil level dropped slightly below the bottom level mark (when cold), the oil light would come on rounding the first corner. The bike was fine.
Rob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts