GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly apologies if this had been cover before but I could not find the relevant thread.

My GSXS is out of warranty MY2015 so I thought I would do my own oil change.

I am confused as to what is the size of the oil plug.

YouTube videos say I need 17mm spinner to undo the oil plug, but places that sell the part say it is M14

Which is it?? I wanted to buy a magnetic one but not sure what to buy. And what is the washer correct size/spec?

I did comb the owner manual and can only find one page with a diagram that is not overly specific

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
591 Posts
The plug is 17 and is already magnetic. Can't help on the washer as I've never changed it through 6 changes. Bikebandit or any of the parts outlets should get you where you need.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's a 17mm socket or wrench you need, M14 would be the "bolt size", thread diameter, of 14mm. So I'd assume the crush washer would be 14mm. Maybe 15? Either way, they're only torqued on to around 16ft lb of torque, so you should be ok to reuse the one that's on there! Almost everyone does.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's a 17mm socket or wrench you need, M14 would be the "bolt size", thread diameter, of 14mm. So I'd assume the crush washer would be 14mm. Maybe 15? Either way, they're only torqued on to around 16ft lb of torque, so you should be ok to reuse the one that's on there! Almost everyone does.
The primary reason for the washer is to prevent leakage. If reusing the old one doesn't leak that's all that's important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts