GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at 68 years old, I finally lost my virginity...... trackday virginity that is >:D . Initially scary not knowing what to expect but ended up having more fun than I had any right to at my age. The track at Hampton Downs International Raceway in NZ is quite technical and remembering lines, braking points and a host of other stuff was pretty overwhelming to start with. Had an absolute ball and it's easy to see how people get addicted. Don't think my wife is going to like the future tyre bill one little bit ;)

Really good to step out of your comfort zone, even for an old fart!

Photos of the GSX-S here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Losing my virginity!

·
Registered
333 Posts
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Saturday I have bought a new leather suite...
This time is the right time.
I want to loose my virginity before I become too old >:D

Reactions: Kiwi Geoff

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, at 68 years old, I finally lost my virginity...... trackday virginity that is >:D . Initially scary not knowing what to expect but ended up having more fun than I had any right to at my age. The track at Hampton Downs International Raceway in NZ is quite technical and remembering lines, braking points and a host of other stuff was pretty overwhelming to start with. Had an absolute ball and it's easy to see how people get addicted. Don't think my wife is going to like the future tyre bill one little bit ;)

Photos of the GSX-S here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Losing my virginity!
Excellent ! Sounds like you performed great and gad a good day. How did the bike perform ? Any issues with your new tyres or brakes, ground clearance ...?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saturday I have bought a new leather suite...
This time is the right time.
I want to loose my virginity before I become too old >:D
Good for you Coper! Trackdays aren't for everyone but as we age, we have the choice of taking it easy or living life to the full. I know what I'd sooner do! :D

Excellent ! Sounds like you performed great and gad a good day. How did the bike perform ? Any issues with your new tyres or brakes, ground clearance ...?

Thanks Beaky! I was really happy with the bike. I'd more or less sorted the suspension before the track outing but the front end compression damping might need a further tweak. Brakes were fine and the ABS did its job and made me look better than I deserved in the first session when I overdid my braking on a couple of corners 0:). I'll still put EBC HH pads on in due course though as I've had them on previous bikes and really rate them. The PR4 55 section tyres were fine and as I mentioned in a previous blog post, they give a better turn-in than the D214's.

It was huge fun , knocked something else off the bucket list but that may well be my one and only track outing. Plenty of other things still on the list!

·
Registered
333 Posts
55 is a must on 6 inch "bikes" even for road use ;)
i m using it ,even on my 04 cbr1krr

·
Registered
299 Posts
You look great on the bike! Glad you had fun!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Awesome!
Well done Geoff. You might have 20 years on me but you still cant beat experience. Loved your blog. Keep going with the bike info, it's all appreciated.
It's still winter here but I'm soaking in the details waiting for the temps to rise..
So far I've got 30psi and ride it like **** what should i do next week;)
:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You look great on the bike! Glad you had fun!
Thanks Thumper. It's pure chance that my leathers match the bike as I've had them for a decade or so. The real miracle is that they still fit me :D

Awesome!
Well done Geoff. You might have 20 years on me but you still cant beat experience. Loved your blog. Keep going with the bike info, it's all appreciated.
It's still winter here but I'm soaking in the details waiting for the temps to rise..
So far I've got 30psi and ride it like **** what should i do next week;)
:laugh::laugh:
Cheers Beaker - I probably don't bounce too well at my age so may not do another one in case the bug really bites! Sorry to hear about the current weather down in the south west and hope you're ok.

Terrific! Well done and well written, Geoff! You've done we ( or is it us?) oldsters proud!
Thanks Stillkickin - trying to grow old as disgracefully as possible. I know I'm doing ok when my wife rolls her eyes and sighs (which is quite often :) )

·
Registered
726 Posts

Wow well done Geoff... Looking good in the pics.... I don't reckon this will be your first and last trackday..;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow well done Geoff... Looking good in the pics.... I don't reckon this will be your first and last trackday..;)
Thanks Tony. Only problem is that it could get totally addictive, not to mention expensive :). Got a few other interests which soak up time and money too so don't want to get hooked!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My wife thinks I'm mad for taking my bikes on track:D She just can't understand how I'd risk smashing something up which I love so much. I think they don't get the risk is also part of the fun.

Something I meant to ask earlier, as I haven't tracked the Suzi yet. Did you notice any throttle jerk on track? What about holding steady throttle at high revs in a bend? or any other foibles which have been complained about when road riding.

Beaker

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife thinks I'm mad for taking my bikes on track:D She just can't understand how I'd risk smashing something up which I love so much. I think they don't get the risk is also part of the fun.

Something I meant to ask earlier, as I haven't tracked the Suzi yet. Did you notice any throttle jerk on track? What about holding steady throttle at high revs in a bend? or any other foibles which have been complained about when road riding.

Beaker
Mine likewise but more about the risk of smashing myself up than the bike :). It was the same when I used to sail competitively.

No, the bike was as good as gold. There was the slightest bit of snatch coming off a closed throttle at the downhill hairpin but even then, it was not an issue. Mind you, I've never thought it was that bad on the road to be honest. My Street Triple was always a bit sensitive at low throttle openings so maybe I was used to it!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Trackday

good on yah yah old buggar, am 62 and racked up 2000k's at the Barbagallo trck here in Perth,in the last 4 months, but only 1500 on the street, come on WA riders. Champions run a couple of days a month. Look em up and come on down it's a hoot.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good on yah yah old buggar, am 62 and racked up 2000k's at the Barbagallo trck here in Perth,in the last 4 months, but only 1500 on the street, come on WA riders. Champions run a couple of days a month. Look em up and come on down it's a hoot.
Old farts growing older disgracefully - great stuff :D
Had a wonderful holiday between Cape Leeuwen and Broome 3 years ago. Had a fantastic time - why don't more of your countrymen from the east make the trip?

·
Registered
285 Posts
They're terrified by the distance, from east to west coast before you start exploring you had to travel over 4000k's. So it's 3 or 4 days to get here .Then 3 or 4 to get home , so a weeks gone bye bye out of your holiday time before you start. Shipping a bike over is pricey. Will have to save up and ride to Sydney, ship to Un Zed and you can show me a few goods roads to explore, after i do a track day .Still buying those lottery tickets

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They're terrified by the distance, from east to west coast before you start exploring you had to travel over 4000k's. So it's 3 or 4 days to get here .Then 3 or 4 to get home , so a weeks gone bye bye out of your holiday time before you start. Shipping a bike over is pricey. Will have to save up and ride to Sydney, ship to Un Zed and you can show me a few goods roads to explore, after i do a track day .Still buying those lottery tickets
I didn't necessarily mean by bike but they could fly and hire? We didn't ride, just hired a car. So many of your east coasters simply haven't been out west by any means of transport whatsoever!

I'll do that for you! Lots of Aussies come over, particularly to ride the south island. Steve, from Sydney has made a series of posts of a group of them in the S.I, starting here: Road to Nowhere: New Zealand - Day 1 . A good read.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts