GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone any information on this shock .I'm in the process of changing the shock , the R1 upgrade has gone for me now as I'm just not feeling it ..at the moment the wilbers 641 is at top of my list then nitron or k teck razor .. the only one I've not heard of people using is the Olin's . surely it must be good ?. Any feedback much appreciated ... when it comes to money well they are all nearly the same ranging from £560 to £700 . Cheers people .

·
Registered
328 Posts
For the same price you can get a wilbers 641 , way better than the SU 509 .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's what I wanted to know .. wilbers is top of my list ...is the wilbers in your opinion better than nitron and k tech razor too ?.. cheers .

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was under the impression that KTech was the ducks nuts? Quack Quack!
From my research, i came to my own conclusion that:
1. Ktech is an excellent shock company BUT their dds range is what you want. The razor has smaller valves and if you're a heavier fellow, it could possibly wear them out faster.
2. Penske is top of the list but doesn't include a bracket which is a deal breaker for me. But they make shocks according to your specifications at around a 1000-1600 depending on your specifications.
3. Wilbers doesn't seem to have much chatter in race bike forums but it's well known in the bmw adv world. They have been around and offer a triple clicker (individual high/low speed compression adjustment and rebound) at double clicker prices.
4. Wilbers worried me because of the small reservoir but this is going to for my canyon/commuter bike, so whatever.
5. Ohlins is stupid in prices and service interval for a street bike, at it's price.

With that said i had a hard time deciding between ktech and wilbers but once i was honest with what i was going to do with my gsxs (commute, monthly canyon riding) it made my choice easier. I bought the wilbers for the incognito mounting solution, high and low speed adjustment, adv world usage and dependability according to use review, and price.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I checked WP Suspension (White Power) and there is only offerings of GSX-R1000R & RR in their Suzuki road range.
They seem to be KTM basically.

Rob.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks that's what I wanted to know .. wilbers is top of my list ...is the wilbers in your opinion better than nitron and k tech razor too ?.. cheers .
Use and using them since years . i have wilbers on both gsx-s . the variable height is something you will love to have

·
Registered
542 Posts
I find it all too easy to fuss over details which can make comparisons an exhausting task. I don't know if i would notice any real world difference between ktech, nitron, wilbers or anything else. Most important is a quality shock suited to your weight and riding style.

I'm a guitar guy. If a beginner asked which were better, Taylor or Martin, I'd say the one you want to play the most.

In this case its price/service etc. I believe if you have to ask the question as to whether premium product A is better or worse than premium product B, you probably won't be able to quantify the benefits of your choice either way.

P.s. Wilbers...... 🙂

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was looking through Wilbers web page but did not see any mention of what spring for what weight of the rider. Can someone point to were that may be at?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was looking through Wilbers web page but did not see any mention of what spring for what weight of the rider. Can someone point to were that may be at?
Once it's added to your cart there are a bunch of questions regarding rider weight, pillion weight, luggage etc. Follow through to the checkout and you will see it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went with maxton a British company in the end , custom made for my riding and weight . fantastic difference . looks like I'll be getting there SD 25 cartridges next . Very pleased with the result ..

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
This is the beauty - ANY aftermarket shock is going to be miles better than the stock unit. The stock unit is so bad. If a person doesn't have a lot to spend, a good aftermarket shock (Wilbers 540) can be had for about $495. If a person can afford to spend $860, they can get four-way adjustable unit from Wilbers and K-Tech (I don't know much about the Nitron or Maxton units, so not sure of their cost or features.) Again - ANY aftermarket shock is going to feel amazing compared to the OEM unit. I don't think Suzuki could have bought anything cheaper to put on the bike. Kind of sad. Such a great bike. Why cheap out so dramatically on the rear suspension? I think we all would have paid an extra hundred or two for a bike with a much better shock on it from the factory.

OR, they could have left the rear the same as the 2005 GSX-R and we could have been buying used shocks for those bikes. That was an option too, Suzuki. Hello? Are you listening? Put a better shock on this thing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
As regards wilbers and what spring. When i ordered my 641 from the UK importer they asked my weight with riding gear was i goingvto carry any oillion passengers and their likely weight and how often etc. They send info to wilbers in Germany who then fit the appropriate spring and it arrives all set up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts