GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

On a mission to kit out my '15 gsxs before riding season starts. One thing I'm looking into are frame sliders. Price is definitely a factor aswell.

I'm currently looking at 2 different styles of them here:
1. One bolt R&G sliders HERE ;
2. Two bolt R&G sliders HERE .

I have two questions regarding them and if anyone has any input or experience, please please be so kind and share :)

1. Are the two bolt sliders structurally more safe? Mainly looking for low or no speed tipover protection.
2. My biggest question: in the Two Bolt frame slider installation manual it advises to support the engine from underneath during installation as you will be removing 2 bolts. I don't really have the equipment to do that. Have any of you installed Two Bolt frame sliders & if so, did you support the engine from underneath or wasn't it necessary? I'm just scared a bit that the engine might dislodge and I'd be in a bad situation when I remove the bolts.

Thanks all for your help! Have a great day.

· Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,470 Posts
Definitely go for two bolt fixings. I had those same ones but sold them recently as I am changing the bike. LINK HERE
Here is a pic of my Honda cbf1000 with single bolt fixing it snapped the engine mounting lug clean off.
No problem with bolt fixing, just do one side at a time.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread

• Love
Reactions: CryArctic

· Registered
21 Posts
One bolt, shotgun we call them here, frame sliders can actually makes things worse. If you slide onto soft ground at speed they tend to dig in and your bike flips.

And if you slide on hard ground they bend at a minimum and can be a bear to remove, or snap and potentially require a motor drop to get the stub out. Good for tip overs I suppose.

Flat style two bolt is hands down the way to go. Whenever I get a bike with shotgun frame sliders I remove them.

Obviously only install one side at a time and just put wood or bricks (with a layer of cloth on top) under the oil pan. All you're doing is preventing the motor from shifting down slightly. I've installed dozens and never had the motor move on me since the other side is still holding. If it did you'd just have to put a jack under the bike and raise it a mm or two to align the bolt holes.

· Registered
33 Posts
The question with this R&G 2 bolt protector is the size. It seems to be quite small. Other sliders seem to protrude more to the side, meaning they are bigger.
For example: Sturzpads für Suzuki GSX-S 1000 / GT - zuverlässiger Schutz von SW-MOTECH.

I bought this particular protector from SW in autumn, but I think as well it would be better to have something with 2 bolts.

Any idea if the R&G is wide enough to actually protect the radiator, coolant reservoir, etc if the bike is sliding on its side down the road?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah these SW Motech ones logistically would be the easiest solution for me, as they are one of the few protectors actually sold locally here in Estonia. Most other brands I'd have to order online and pay a hefty shipping fee. The motechs look good, but yes I didn't consider them at first due to the 1 bolt. But maybe it's a random argument and i'm overthinking things :D

Width wise - motechs and R&G seem quite similar. Not protruding as far as those single bolt bobbins, but still far enough to cover the fairings. Couldn't find a picture with a clear angle though.

· Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,470 Posts
Doesn't look like the crash protector is twice the width of the sliders to me and having used both at times I would say they are not, but I stand to be corrected. R&G LINK

· Registered
21 Posts
I'm sure they design the bolts to bend but the real world doesn't always cooperate.

Here's a shotgun frame slider bolt that broke off in the frame of a 600 Gixxer. Took me many hours of careful drilling and much liquid wrench to back it out.

Don't remember the brand of frame slider.

Finger Automotive tire Thumb Nail Metal

· Registered
21 Posts
No damage to frame or engine mount. Once I got solid purchase with the easy-out (now there's a misnomer) it backed out clean.

On older Gixxers the hole through the frame is largish and an aluminum sleeve goes between the frame and the bolt. It deformed the sleeve a little but the frames are tough and didn't do anything to it. So maybe the slider did save it.

To swap out that sleeve though you have to remove the motor as it's shaped like a hat with the wide part facing inwards. I'm living with it slightly deformed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts