GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody carry extra fuel on their bike? If so how do you do it? I need to extend the range of my bike to about 500 kms.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No idea but based on my mileage you'd need to just about double the capacity of the fuel tank.
Bungee cord a 5 gallon gas tank to the seat and fill-er-up when you run out?

·
Registered
334 Posts
No idea but based on my mileage you'd need to just about double the capacity of the fuel tank.
Bungee cord a 5 gallon gas tank to the seat and fill-er-up when you run out?
You're getting 250Km a tank? You must ride real hard!

·
Registered
111 Posts
You're getting 250Km a tank? You must ride real hard!
My morning commute is about 45 miles. Half city, half highway and I cruise between 5-6k rpm(80-90ish mph). I'm actually doing some distance testing atm to see what kind of range I can get when cruising in a lower rpm range. Last tank I got exactly 155 miles and my guage was EMPTY with a range of 0. I pumped 4.375 gallons of fuel. What kind of fuel is everyone using? I've been pumping 93 octane

I have a Pc-V installed, and I want to see if the average mpg is still accurate
Sorry to thread jack but maybe this info will help contribute in some way

What kind of range are others getting?

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,609 Posts
I bought one of these a couple of years ago to go touring in Europe and it fit nicely in my tank bag.
https://www.hein-gericke.com/reserve-kanister-2-liter.html
Warning, even tho I had it in a sealed plastic bag the smell still pervaded my gear.
You can of course use old oil containers etc.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get about 300 kms on a full tank (17L) so I estimate I'd need an additional 10 liters to go 500 kms if I ride carefully. I don't like the idea of strapping a 10L gas can onto the back seat.

I think I will need to abandon the idea of 500 kms range, it's not realistic. The 2L can inside a tank bag posted above seems better, that would give me maybe 40 kms of additional range..

I have seen people mount bottles under the tail on sport bikes, here's some examples of what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/qFzDq9m.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2931/14241863225_42d4ebc457_b.jpg

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm getting between 190 and 240 mile per tank depending on the type of road

·
Registered
129 Posts
I get about 300 kms on a full tank (17L) so I estimate I'd need an additional 10 liters to go 500 kms if I ride carefully. I don't like the idea of strapping a 10L gas can onto the back seat.

I think I will need to abandon the idea of 500 kms range, it's not realistic. The 2L can inside a tank bag posted above seems better, that would give me maybe 40 kms of additional range..

I have seen people mount bottles under the tail on sport bikes, here's some examples of what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/qFzDq9m.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2931/14241863225_42d4ebc457_b.jpg
I don't like the idea of strapping a plastic container full of fuel anywhere on the bike or my person. Seems like a recipe for disaster. But that first bike you linked to looks like a good solution. Well secured steel containers that are solidly attached to the bike.

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm getting between 190 and 240 mile per tank depending on the type of road
What?! How!
The only way I can see to extend my range is to go slower on the interstate and cruise around 3-4k rpm. In 6th gear that puts me around 60mph

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What?! How!
The only way I can see to extend my range is to go slower on the interstate and cruise around 3-4k rpm. In 6th gear that puts me around 60mph
You're obviously gonna get worse fuel economy on high speed highways.

I do most of my riding on rural roads where I usually stay around 50 mph, that seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy. I don't enjoy riding on big wide straight multilane highways, and try to stay off them as much as possible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You're obviously gonna get worse fuel economy on high speed highways.

I do most of my riding on rural roads where I usually stay around 50 mph, that seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy. I don't enjoy riding on big wide straight multilane highways, and try to stay off them as much as possible.
Have you thought about changing the gearing? Maybe add a tooth up fromlnt or drop 2 in the back? Some combination thereof?
That might help extend your range a tickle without adding fuel. I haven't done any gearing changes yet but am tempted. I'd love to see about 1000 rpm lower on the highways..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you thought about changing the gearing? Maybe add a tooth up fromlnt or drop 2 in the back? Some combination thereof?
That might help extend your range a tickle without adding fuel. I haven't done any gearing changes yet but am tempted. I'd love to see about 1000 rpm lower on the highways..
Yep I actually made a thread about that very topic: http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...acing-sprockets-get-better-range-mileage.html

People seem to think changing the sprockets will have only a minimal effect so I won't bother. I probably will change swap them out for different sized ones when my old ones get worn out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ahh! I did skim over that thread.. Didn't realize you were OP.
I just don't see how cruising at a lower RPM wouldn't help..?

·
Registered
387 Posts
What?! How!
High speed highways are the quickest ways to get places but really eat the fuel so I tend to stay of them, I like to enjoy my riding I don't want to sit on a highway going straight, boring!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
High speed highways are the quickest ways to get places but really eat the fuel so I tend to stay of them, I like to enjoy my riding I don't want to sit on a highway going straight, boring!!
I commute to work, so I don't really have a choice..

Aren't the highway fuel ratings generally higher than city ratings usually? I guess that's out the window when you're geared this short...

·
Registered
29 Posts
typically i carry at the 4-5 o clock position, when my shirts tucked and my jacket rides over the grip it tends to prevent people from following to closely as well

for gas i just call the wife and buy her dinner

·
Registered
164 Posts
C-slow, Mine is an F-model, all stock. I generally get mid to upper 40s around town and have exceeded 50 mpg on highway (made 201miles that tank). How about a Ventura rack and one of their large tour packs to carry plastic gas cans?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts