GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve finished my 1982 Suzuki GS1000S Katana mechanically. Back story I’ve owned it since 1987, rode it until mid 90s then it went up against a wall. I ran out of room and hauled it to my dads shop in 2008. It sat there until November of this year not running and in horrible shape left in an unclimatized environment. My dad passed sept 1st of this year and I’m executor on his will so I had to do something with the big Kat. I brought her home finally. So I’ve written my own barn find story literally. $2k later, many many late hours and even more sourcing parts for a 40 year old motorcycle she’s mechanically finished and first ride in many years took place late today on Christmas Day. Gotta pat myself on the back carbs suck even in good shape I had to completely rebuild these and then tune them. Being I’m almost 60 I remember all that. She’s not perfect but runs so nice. Still has some issues cosmetically to resolve. I have all new decals and stickers here or coming, thank god suzuki supports or makes enough product to keep these old bikes still going. eBay has come through on many NOS oem items but I paid for them.

She ain’t winning any races but it’s a step back in time to ride it. Literally! Took me 3 hours to remove the old ass tires using a no-mar they were welded on. It even uses tubes with cast wheels. Casting wasn’t that great back then very porous. I hate tubes and carbs. I went through the top end valve lash which is straight forward threaded screw tappet on rockers fantastic setup. Brakes were a mess rear completely rebuilt from master to caliper. Fronts good but pads are like not biting and I can’t get new ones but I’m on the list. New tires on a vintage bike lol good luck it has a 19” front rim. Shinko only company that actually had something in stock and V rated. Remember this bike is a 140 mph bike from the early 80s in a straight line. Clutch cable and throttle cable replaced. Throttle cable was sourced off eBay not in stock with suzuki.

Luckily the gas tank had sone gas in it all those idle years and is in great shape inside. New one is $4700 on eBay from Japan and don’t even try to order one from suzuki. This is a one year bike in US being the 1000 in 82. 83 was the 1100 and after that discontinued outside Japan. I do have the stock 4 into 2 black chrome exhaust but it’s got some rust on it. So I’m still gonna sport the retro Yosh full system from the day complete with brass nameplate on the end can. Tach needle and speedo needles long ago broke off. She’s from the 55 mph US speed limit back then so speedo only goes to 85 mph and 55 is highlighted yellow. New needles available on webike I’ll probably give them a shot at $60 shipped. Yea for two needles. Redlines at 9k with 9:5.1 compression lol

The tank, upper cowl which is made of fiberglass and front fender go to paint soon. I have all the oem decals from suzuki. I already have a new windscreen just waiting for new paint to install it. I have mirrors on order from suzuki which may take a while. Can’t just use any screw in mirror on it due to the clipon bar angle.

Very radical designed bike for 1982. I wish Suzuki would get back to this step outside the box mentality.
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Fuel tank

·
Registered
342 Posts
Very nice job. Realise many hours of labour, but the actual cost so far seems reasonable. Im sure you’re going to have many pleasurable rides.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,139 Posts
I’ve finished my 1982 Suzuki GS1000S Katana mechanically. Back story I’ve owned it since 1987, rode it until mid 90s then it went up against a wall. I ran out of room and hauled it to my dads shop in 2008. It sat there until November of this year not running and in horrible shape left in an unclimatized environment. My dad passed sept 1st of this year and I’m executor on his will so I had to do something with the big Kat. I brought her home finally. So I’ve written my own barn find story literally. $2k later, many many late hours and even more sourcing parts for a 40 year old motorcycle she’s mechanically finished and first ride in many years took place late today on Christmas Day. Gotta pat myself on the back carbs suck even in good shape I had to completely rebuild these and then tune them. Being I’m almost 60 I remember all that. She’s not perfect but runs so nice. Still has some issues cosmetically to resolve. I have all new decals and stickers here or coming, thank god suzuki supports or makes enough product to keep these old bikes still going. eBay has come through on many NOS oem items but I paid for them.

She ain’t winning any races but it’s a step back in time to ride it. Literally! Took me 3 hours to remove the old ass tires using a no-mar they were welded on. It even uses tubes with cast wheels. Casting wasn’t that great back then very porous. I hate tubes and carbs. I went through the top end valve lash which is straight forward threaded screw tappet on rockers fantastic setup. Brakes were a mess rear completely rebuilt from master to caliper. Fronts good but pads are like not biting and I can’t get new ones but I’m on the list. New tires on a vintage bike lol good luck it has a 19” front rim. Shinko only company that actually had something in stock and V rated. Remember this bike is a 140 mph bike from the early 80s in a straight line. Clutch cable and throttle cable replaced. Throttle cable was sourced off eBay not in stock with suzuki.

Luckily the gas tank had sone gas in it all those idle years and is in great shape inside. New one is $4700 on eBay from Japan and don’t even try to order one from suzuki. This is a one year bike in US being the 1000 in 82. 83 was the 1100 and after that discontinued outside Japan. I do have the stock 4 into 2 black chrome exhaust but it’s got some rust on it. So I’m still gonna sport the retro Yosh full system from the day complete with brass nameplate on the end can. Tach needle and speedo needles long ago broke off. She’s from the 55 mph US speed limit back then so speedo only goes to 85 mph and 55 is highlighted yellow. New needles available on webike I’ll probably give them a shot at $60 shipped. Yea for two needles. Redlines at 9k with 9:5.1 compression lol

The tank, upper cowl which is made of fiberglass and front fender go to paint soon. I have all the oem decals from suzuki. I already have a new windscreen just waiting for new paint to install it. I have mirrors on order from suzuki which may take a while. Can’t just use any screw in mirror on it due to the clipon bar angle.

Very radical designed bike for 1982. I wish Suzuki would get back to this step outside the box mentality. View attachment 47249
You most probably know about this but just in case you don't Classic Suzuki spares

Reactions: roy826

·
Registered
791 Posts
First off just want to say sorry for your dad's passing.
My Dad passed 19 years ago and it was so crap.
Anyhow good on you for restoring the kat I always loved the look of these bikes. 👍🏼
I wanted to get the 1100 back when they came out but it just never happened DOH!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It’s a labor of love with me and this bike. My self created barn find literally. I’m still ordering things and cleaning things up. Old GS Suzukis are a unique breed of motorcycle. So much history created in such a short time in the company’s history. Definitely wrote the future for what was to become with the GSXRs. Took me 3 days this week to get a license plate reissued with the state of Mississippi, they were literally blown away I have the original title which became the issue in the system that is in place today. Postage on the title envelope was 18 cents back then. Lol. I was issued a state issued Antique Motorcycle tag finally and it’s number is 280. I had to lay extra for the so called vanity tag but I’ll never have to buy one again and there is no renewal date stickers added to the plate. She’s made it 40 years and to qualify here is only 25 years. I love riding it brings back so many memories. The Big GS air cooled engine idle so low, revs slow, no out of this world redline at 9k rpm’s. In good carb sync they just sound good at idle especially with the vintage Yosh full system it has on it.

·
Administrator
594 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It’s a labor of love with me and this bike. My self created barn find literally. I’m still ordering things and cleaning things up. Old GS Suzukis are a unique breed of motorcycle. So much history created in such a short time in the company’s history. Definitely wrote the future for what was to become with the GSXRs. Took me 3 days this week to get a license plate reissued with the state of Mississippi, they were literally blown away I have the original title which became the issue in the system that is in place today. Postage on the title envelope was 18 cents back then. Lol. I was issued a state issued Antique Motorcycle tag finally and it’s number is 280. I had to lay extra for the so called vanity tag but I’ll never have to buy one again and there is no renewal date stickers added to the plate. She’s made it 40 years and to qualify here is only 25 years. I love riding it brings back so many memories. The Big GS air cooled engine idle so low, revs slow, no out of this world redline at 9k rpm’s. In good carb sync they just sound good at idle especially with the vintage Yosh full system it has on it.
That is so cool. 👍👍

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
took one for a test ride 5 years ago before i bought the s , was for sale close to my house after the GS was the 1150e one of the most fun bikes i owned i always looked at the gsxs being closer to the GS snd 1150e

·
Banned
156 Posts
very cool.. I do not advertise this guy but he may be able to help.. I think Brock davidson from brocks performance dragged one of those back in the day "katana" and may be able to help with some parts.. other then that i would think some of the bandit parts may work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts