GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
How is the quickshifter? Does it rev match when downshifting? Can it be disabled temporarily?

I'm jealous of how the UK gets bikes so much sooner than we do. This bike isn't expected at Canadian dealers until late spring or early summer 2022. Suzuki doesn't even have it on its canadian website yet.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It is a two way shifter, works well, it can be turned on/off via the control panel just like the traction control.

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm assuming the bike feels pretty much the same as the old one as far as power, handling, and braking?
How's the ride by wire feel compared to the old cable operated throttle?
It's early days yet but the bike handles better than my first without it's Nitron shock. The standard settings front and rear are the same as the original but it gives a more comfortable ride. Will I put the Nitron on this bike?
Once you're on the move the throttle feels the same but pulling away I feel there is less precise control. Had a few stalls at first getting used to it and the clutch.
One thing I notice is that starting from cold the engine revs faster also the cooling fans come on earlier.

Reactions: gritty and 4ce

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sweet ride dude, i'm sure she'll be a peach, have to question whether it was really necessary to put that pillion pad on at all..... they should have just put a styled factory fitted cowl on and eliminated the pillion pegs given the truncated size of the rear end, what do you think ??

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's early days yet but the bike handles better than my first without it's Nitron shock. The standard settings front and rear are the same as the original but it gives a more comfortable ride. Will I put the Nitron on this bike?
Once you're on the move the throttle feels the same but pulling away I feel there is less precise control. Had a few stalls at first getting used to it and the clutch.
One thing I notice is that starting from cold the engine revs faster also the cooling fans come on earlier.
Sounds great, except for the decrease in precise throttle control when leaving from a stop. Do you plan on installing a fender eliminator/tail tidy? I've been itching to see one of these new bikes without the huge factory rear fender.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sounds great, except for the decrease in precise throttle control when leaving from a stop. Do you plan on installing a fender eliminator/tail tidy? I've been itching to see one of these new bikes without the huge factory rear fender.
No, practicality comes first, tried one on my previous bike, too much crap on my back and tailpack. I don't carry a pillion but wouldn't like to be one on a bike with a tidy on it.
Also spare a thought for those following behind you.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sweet ride dude, i'm sure she'll be a peach, have to question whether it was really necessary to put that pillion pad on at all..... they should have just put a styled factory fitted cowl on and eliminated the pillion pegs given the truncated size of the rear end, what do you think ??
Agree to a point but I need the pillion pegs for bungee mountings on the occasions when I put tailpacks and soft panniers on. The OEM cowl looks like something out of a Transformer movie, wouldn't give it a second thought
Don't think they would sell so many bikes if it was single seat.
Plus I don't particularly like the rear mudguard but would not have a tail tidy.

Reactions: 4ce and lee711

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I could not get behind the headlight assembly to check for a power feed. :(
Removed every screw I could see (6) and tugged and pulled to no avail.
Not prepared to use brute force just yet, I will ask the dealer at first service.

Cracked it, found two hidden screws. However there is no spare power feed there in fact nothing at all that is not connected. Wonder where they connect the OEM hot grips?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lets see what come out. Would certainly use a dynojet map if they produce one.
Yeah true.
I would always go for a remap than piggybacks.
Mines a 19 and totally different after the map and the restrictions removed.
when a map is sorted that's when i would consider a change.
Not totally sold on the looks yet but not seen one in the flesh either, so ...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking sharp! Bike and rider :) ! Congratulations on the new toy!

Beyond "clothing", she looks a lot like the old gen - nothing wrong with it and potentially useful if the plan is to reuse some of the old accessories, wherever applicable.

Good to hear that the rbw & co fixed the snatch. But I am a bit surprised about the stalling thing - does the new bike have the same low rpm assist system that helped out with the anti-stall? It used to work great before. Or is it just different now, requiring some adjusting-to-it time?

Side note - I was yesterday on a Z900RS and, while not that prominent, it had that the snatch too...much easier to modulate out than on ours. Nice bike, if you like the classic look :) and very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looking sharp! Bike and rider :) ! Congratulations on the new toy!

Beyond "clothing", she looks a lot like the old gen - nothing wrong with it and potentially useful if the plan is to reuse some of the old accessories, wherever applicable.

Good to hear that the rbw & co fixed the snatch. But I am a bit surprised about the stalling thing - does the new bike have the same low rpm assist system that helped out with the anti-stall? It used to work great before. Or is it just different now, requiring some adjusting-to-it time?

Side note - I was yesterday on a Z900RS and, while not that prominent, it had that the snatch too...much easier to modulate out than on ours. Nice bike, if you like the classic look :) and very comfortable.
Haven't stalled it since first ride, I am adjusting to the throttle, it feels weird not having direct control and "it" doing it's own thing. Also there is hardly any free play before it activates.
As stated previously when on the move it's fine. Once the bike and rider get bedded in I'm sure all will be good.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Haven't stalled it since first ride, I am adjusting to the throttle, it feels weird not having direct control and "it" doing it's own thing. Also there is hardly any free play before it activates.
As stated previously when on the move it's fine. Once the bike and rider get bedded in I'm sure all will be good.
I know the previous generation had substantial restrictions built-in to the secondary throttle plates. I wonder now if those are pretty much the same or if they have increased the restrictions.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Internals changed?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I could not get behind the headlight assembly to check for a power feed. :(
Removed every screw I could see (6) and tugged and pulled to no avail.
Not prepared to use brute force just yet, I will ask the dealer at first service.

Cracked it, found two hidden screws. However there is no spare power feed there in fact nothing at all that is not connected. Wonder where they connect the OEM hot grips?
Scotchlocks?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah part of the reflash on my 2019 was fan on earlier for obvious benefits/reasons

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Internals changed?
Suzuki did announce they were revalving the shock as one of the upgrades to the new model. I'm glad Dekker is finding it better than the original also its good to know they have taken on board most of the criticisms made on the old model.
I'm just waiting to see how the touring version turns out(y)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

·
Registered
366 Posts
Scotchlocks ??? OK you got me, what are they. Velcro ?
These horrible things, favoured by bodge artists everywhere!

As mentioned by @temporarykiwi they can be fine for a temp fix/diagnostic but I would never use them having had to deal with weird faults caused by them in the past. Plenty of better solutions out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
These horrible things, favoured by bodge artists everywhere!

As mentioned by @temporarykiwi they can be fine for a temp fix/diagnostic but I would never use them having had to deal with weird faults caused by them in the past. Plenty of better solutions out there.
Thanks, learned something new. (y)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts